Zodiac Pens

jimhughes

Any Scholars out there who can give me some resources or insight into Zodiac Pen Company. Per nib imprint Paris France.

Thanks, Jim

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• Frits B

• ruud2904

• Blackandwhite

Top Posters In This Topic

My French is letting me down a bit, but I found the following on the history of Meteore:

Tout débute en 1916 par la création de la Manufacture Parisienne de Porte Plume réservoir. Par la suite, la société déménagera de très nombreuses fois en région parisienne.

En 1921, changement de nom pour devenir la Plume d’Or avec comme sous marque commerciale : La Météore ( parmis d’autres : Zodiac, Prompto, Pullman... ).

La Plume d’Or avait un sérieux avantage par rapport à ses concurrents : celui d’être un très grand fabricant européen. Les plumes étaient souvent estampillées des lettres D et D du nom des fondateurs ( Demilly et Degen ).

Cependant, du fait des restrictions, pendant la seconde guerre mondiale, les plumes or étaient remplacées par des plumes inoxydables marquées Vaedium.

Très tôt, la société a su marketer ses produits par l’apposition d’une bande blanche sur ses stylos même si ses premiers modèles étaient comme classiques : remplissage au compte-gouttes et modèles à plumes rentrantes.

unqoute.

Perhaps somebody with a good understanding of the French Language can tell you more exactly. What I get more or less out of it, is that Zodiac was a commercial FP brand name way back in 1921.

Ruud

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Tout débute en 1916 par la création de la Manufacture Parisienne de Porte Plume réservoir. Par la suite, la société déménagera de très nombreuses fois en région parisienne.

En 1921, changement de nom pour devenir la Plume d’Or avec comme sous marque commerciale : La Météore ( parmis d’autres : Zodiac, Prompto, Pullman... ).

La Plume d’Or avait un sérieux avantage par rapport à ses concurrents : celui d’être un très grand fabricant européen. Les plumes étaient souvent estampillées des lettres D et D du nom des fondateurs ( Demilly et Degen ).

Cependant, du fait des restrictions, pendant la seconde guerre mondiale, les plumes or étaient remplacées par des plumes inoxydables marquées Vaedium.

Très tôt, la société a su marketer ses produits par l’apposition d’une bande blanche sur ses stylos même si ses premiers modèles étaient comme classiques : remplissage au compte-gouttes et modèles à plumes rentrantes.

It all starts in 1916 with the Parisian Fountain Pen Works. After that the company moves frequently to new locations in the Paris region.

In 1921 the company name is changed into La Plume d'Or = the Gold Nib, with trade mark La Météore (and others like Zodiac, Prompto, Pullman etc).

La Plume d'Or had a serious advantage over its competitors: it was a very large manufacturer in Europe. The nibs were often stamped with their founders' initials D and D (Demilly and Degen). However, because of the restrictions [on the use of gold] during WW-II, the gold nibs were replaced by stainless steel nibs under the brand Vaedium.

The company very early marketed its fountain pens by putting a distinctive white band on them, although its first models were the usual classics: eye-droppers and safeties.

Not perfect, but you'll get the drift.

QUOTE (Frits B @ Mar 3 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It all starts in 1916 with the Parisian Fountain Pen Works. After that the company moves frequently to new locations in the Paris region.

In 1921 the company name is changed into La Plume d'Or = the Gold Nib, with trade mark La Météore (and others like Zodiac, Prompto, Pullman etc).

La Plume d'Or had a serious advantage over its competitors: it was a very large manufacturer in Europe. The nibs were often stamped with their founders' initials D and D (Demilly and Degen). However, because of the restrictions [on the use of gold] during WW-II, the gold nibs were replaced by stainless steel nibs under the brand Vaedium.

The company very early marketed its fountain pens by putting a distinctive white band on them, although its first models were the usual classics: eye-droppers and safeties.

Not perfect, but you'll get the drift.

Ruud and Fritz:

Thank you for the information and education. My French isn't up to the level it was 40 plus year ago in college. The translation was most helpful. French Ebay has 2-3 pens for sale now of the Zodiac Variety. One a MHR, another an overlay in silver. Nether, in IMHO, near as nice a colouration as the one I purchased from Ruud yesterday. One of them is dated as 1930 with an 18kt nib. I'll have to look back for the DD nib imprint and white band. Thanks for sharing Ruud, Jim

Edited by jimhughes

• 5 years later...

I read this topic with great interest. I purchased a small ladie's Zodiac model labelled (?) A00 in mottled red/black and A + P Doubleorlaminé ( double laminated gold ) Overlay. When the pen arrived it was "as left by last writing user" - which means: a couple of days of cleaning and a pen sac that had turned into hard rubber on the inside.

Three days later the pen writes - as You can see on the picture. Flexible nib, yet used quite a bit - and a wet noodle. But I like to save these little pens and make them work again.

The information about the brand is rare. As I am searching I found this topic. Your translation is good, Frits B. Although the text is not that clear - even in french. Is Zodiac a subbrand of La Plume d'Or/ La Météore - at least that is what it seems to say.

If I find more information, I'll let You know.

Jean-Marie

Here is a picture and a writing sampler of my Zodiac, once clean and with a new sac:

14413345982_9eac0dd32c_z.jpg
[

Edited by Blackandwhite