A long overdue intro

chkuo

I have been hanging around here for about a year now. Guess it is about time that I pony up and write an intro to say hi. :)

The one pen that started it all

Sometime back in elementary school, possibly when I was around 10 to 12, my brother brought home a really cool looking pen (a Platinum Standard) and explained to me how this strange looking thing works. I was immediately taken by it and decided that I must have one. After saving up my allowance for quite some time, I finally got a shiny blue one of my own. The sensation of gliding the nib across papers got me hooked for good. This pen accompanied me all the way to college. The tip has been completely worn out by then so I was forced to replace it with another pen (a Cross Townsend this time). I still have the Platinum with me and it will remain as one of my most cherished collections.

Early stage of addiction

With the help of the Cross Townsend (along with a Rotring 600 that joined later), I made it out of the college 4 years later. To celebrate the event, I used my first paycheck to buy a Pelikan M800, the pen that has been my daily user for the last 10+ years. Soon after the Pelikan, I was bitten by the vintage bug and started to collect pens. Wahl-Eversharp Doric and and Parker Vacumatic are my favorites.

Passing the point of no return

With the arrival of our first baby, my fountain pen collection frenzy came to a screeching stop. While I still use FPs daily, I no longer have the time and energy to think about getting more. In a sense, I was almost cured.

Unfortunately, my father passed away in Dec 2007. After the funeral, I watched a lovely Japanese film "Closed Note" on the flight back home. Curious about the pens featured in the movie (possibly a Nakaya, I have never seen Urushi pens before that), I did some googling and found FPN (which I shouldn't have done, darn it). :bonk:

Wondering through the FPN re-ignited my passion for FPs. With all the great info (and many evil enablers), my FP/ink collection went through an explosive growth in 2008 (I know for sure that I am not alone on this). It didn't help that my wife has been more than understanding about my addiction. She said things to me like: "Honey, you really need to have that Bexley Americana to celebrate you PhD degree.", "Your birthday is coming up, what kind of pens do you want?", or "Hey there's a pen show coming up, do you want to go?".

Where I stand now

After going through all these, I finally have a better idea about what I like (or at least I think I know). Now I prefer non-expensive full-size modern pens (say under $200-300), ideally light and colorful. That said, a nice Urushi pen from Nakaya/Danitrio remains as my dream pen. Maybe this can be my next milestone pen when I finally land a permanent academic job.

My biggest regret

Just very recently, I remembered that my late grandpa had a FP, possibly a Parker 51. I lived with my grandparents for the first 3 years of my life and was extremely attached to them. Sadly, them both passed away very early (when I was in high school). The pen, along with all other of their stuff, was cleared out of the house long ago and nowhere to be found. I soooooo wanted to have that pen as something that I can keep in their memory (I do have a jade pendant from my grandma that I wear on a necklace all the time). Alas, such is life.

Nonetheless, one must learn from history and look at the bright side of life. I am proud to say that, my three kids, along with all my future grandkids, will have no trouble getting my pens should they want to do so. Now, isn't that a great excuse for me to get some more pens? ;)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chkuo

• Wolverine1

• playpen

• gyrosan

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lovely introduction! Greetings and welcome to our family! :)

Do not regret anything about "things" that were cleared out of your grandparents' house. What you have in your heart when you think of them is really the most precious of all "possessions". There are many people who have never had that feeling and sadly will never have it.

After observing what takes place in some families, I have a system that I think works (at least for us). Our children are very aware of the value of the things we have. They know the difference between a one dollar pen and a more expensive pen. We have informed them that if there is even one word, one fight over anything, we intend to come back and haunt them. They listened to our message and they remember it. They have even repeated it to us!

We generally have the impression that once we are gone they are just going to take all this "stuff" and toss it in after us. I joke about that but I am serious in the message that this is all just toys and toys (while entertaining and fun, fun, fun) are really nothing at all.

If you like maki-e pens and you are interested in owning a Danitrio, speak to Kevin (Winedoc on FPN) and ask him about his very liberal credit terms. He will allow you to take as much time as you need to pay for a pen. Last winter/spring I bought a Danitrio maki-e Fuji from him and it took me months to pay for it. It seemed like years but when it finally arrived I was so happy! What a treasure it is. I know that I could never have even thought about buying it if not for Kevin's patience. He is also a really nice person. When I cleared out some old mail here, I read through some of the pms I sent him about the Fuji last year and I was amazed because I had asked him some questions about the design of the pen, several times. Despite this, he answered each question promptly and cheerfully. What more can one ask? :thumbup:

Have fun on FPN! :)

:W2FPN: Hi and Welcome!! Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Welcome to the FPN from Canada. Things that remind one of grandparents are priceless. I am fortunate to have my grandfather's pen and my grandmother's gardening encyclopedia.

I'm sure you'll find many like-minded people here.

Peter

Do not regret anything about "things" that were cleared out of your grandparents' house. What you have in your heart when you think of them is really the most precious of all "possessions". There are many people who have never had that feeling and sadly will never have it.

Totally agree. That said, sometime I just wish I have something more concrete, that is physical, that I can see and touch to link my emotions to. I am sure you understand what I mean.

We generally have the impression that once we are gone they are just going to take all this "stuff" and toss it in after us. I joke about that but I am serious in the message that this is all just toys and toys (while entertaining and fun, fun, fun) are really nothing at all.

Very true. While I regret that I didn't get a pen from my grandpa (he had a very simply life and didn't leave much "stuff" behind), the situation was the opposite with my dad. My dad was an avid collector of urns (big, heavy, beautiful, handmade ones that are used for storing tea). All we know was those are very expensive stuff, all made by well-known potters (although not to us). My mom, my brother, and I have no idea how to deal with a house worth of them. Right now those are my mom's problem but eventually my brother and/or I will have to face that. Really a big headache.

If you like maki-e pens and you are interested in owning a Danitrio, speak to Kevin (Winedoc on FPN) and ask him about his very liberal credit terms. He will allow you to take as much time as you need to pay for a pen. Last winter/spring I bought a Danitrio maki-e Fuji from him and it took me months to pay for it. It seemed like years but when it finally arrived I was so happy! What a treasure it is. I know that I could never have even thought about buying it if not for Kevin's patience. He is also a really nice person. When I cleared out some old mail here, I read through some of the pms I sent him about the Fuji last year and I was amazed because I had asked him some questions about the design of the pen, several times. Despite this, he answered each question promptly and cheerfully. What more can one ask? :thumbup:

I have heard many wonderful things about Kevin, which is part of the reason why I put Danitrio on my list. I constantly drool over the pictures he posted on various forums.