Pens that stay in the family

Gran

I'll soon be the happy owner of my father's Parker 51. I called him today to ask him something about it. He said he doesn't use it anymore. He doesn't want to have to keep up with it, and offered it to me. I'm thrilled! He bought it in the forties, to use at college. He said he's got an old Esterbrook somewhere, too.

I'll be posting a question or two, I'm sure, after I have it.

Do you use a family pen? To me, they are something you keep and use, as one does with grandfather's rifle, or grandmother's silver.

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerosNSuch

• Paddler

• chravagni

• yingko

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From one side, I have my grandfather's Sheaffer Targa rollerball. From the other, I have my grandfather's 51 Special.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

Multipostorama

Edited by HerosNSuch

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

Hi there,

When my father had passed away, his fountain pen was left to me. It was a MB 149 he had bought to begin his legal profession. He used the pen his entire career.

I use the pen now, but only write with it in private. I never use the pen in public. For some reason, I feel it is far too personal an item to share with my colleagues, associates, and clients.

Kind regards,

P.

:happyberet: I inherited my mother's Parker 51 but I very seldom use it. She recieved it as a bithday gift from my brother in the 1950's. She wrote with this pen for 40 years (until 1995) to all the members of our family, children, grandchildren g.grand children, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews and cousins. It saw a lot of use and it still works just fine. My niece will inherit the pen......some day......when I have a coffee with Aristotle................. -_-

Henrico

I have a pen that was my grandmother's, and she used it as her only pen while working as a history teacher. The pen is hallmarked 1924 or 1928 (can't tell closer die to wear). Unfortunately the pen has several un-repairable cracks, so I cannot use it. It's shown in this post:-

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=40712

Regards

Richard.

I'll soon be the happy owner of my father's Parker 51. I called him today to ask him something about it. He said he doesn't use it anymore. He doesn't want to have to keep up with it, and offered it to me. I'm thrilled! He bought it in the forties, to use at college. He said he's got an old Esterbrook somewhere, too.

I'll be posting a question or two, I'm sure, after I have it.

Do you use a family pen? To me, they are something you keep and use, as one does with grandfather's rifle, or grandmother's silver.

I have my Mom's Esterbrook, not a valuable pen, I'm sure, but I had it repaired and keep it on hand.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

It's always been a source of great regret to me that my father's pens somehow went missing after his death--I must say that at the time, I wasn't too attuned to them. I vaguely remember seeing what I now know is a Parker 51 and I believe there were a few others. I purchased a Parker 51 that reminded me of the one he had, in his memory.

I inherited my father's BIC ballpoints.

He actually told me during the Christmas dinner: "Son, why on earth do you write with a fountain pen?" :o

Edited by Pepin

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

My mother gave me her Parker Vacumatic (Junior Debutante) for my birthday in August. She got it when she graduated grammar school. (She's about to turn 86, so that will give you an idea of its vintage.)

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

I don't use them because they need to be restored, but I have the following from my grandfathers:

Sheaffer tortoiseshell balance

Sheaffer PFM I (engraved)

Sheaffer of unknown model, black probably from the 1940s. (gold band with initials)

Years are unknown--the balance is likely from the 1930s, the PFM is likely from around 1960.

Grebmar

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I have my Dad's Targa FP. I tried to get Mom's Triumph Imperial BP/MP set, the gold-filled one with the grape vine pattern, but it got mixed into the garage sale stuff and got away. I bought a set just like it on eBay to remember her by. Not really hers but I still think of her every time I use it.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I have my Grandfather's Skyline.

I had the sack restored and it writes wonderfully.

Edited by Glenn-SC

I inherited my father's Sheaffer Saratoga Snorkel and my mother's Saratoga and Waterman Hundred Year pen. Dad used his for signatures. I never saw him write a letter with it. Mom graded papers with hers. Her Snorkel had Royal Blue Skrip in it; the Waterman used Red Skrip. I also have the family "general purpose" user pen. It is an Eversharp Pacemaker with a Manifold nib.

I have reconditioned all these pens and use them in rotation. I usually take a couple of them to family gatherings. The oldsters like to see them and know they are still being used. The youngsters regard them as incredibly arcane bits of technology.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I found my Grandfather's Parker 51, with the matching pencil sometime last year. What's funny is they came with the desk, which I'd had over a year before I stumbled across or really realized what it was I'd found. I then had it restored, but haven't used it since I got it back. I'm terribly afraid to muck it up and haven't any real clue how to fill it without making a huge mess or staining the tip area.

So, they sit in a box. Treasured, but unused. Which is sort of a pity, I suppose.

Since my grandfather died two Summers ago I've found a few of his pens. My favorite and most personal feeling is a Sheaffer Triumph (or some touchdown filler with a triumph nib), because it was an extra-fine with dark purple ink in it, which is my favorite combination. Looking through his desk I've also found an Esterbrook which I've resacced, an Esterbrook desk pen with a bent nib and no base, and a Sheaffer school pen from the 70's. That grandfather was always the relative I was most similar to and liked the most, and every year there are new similarities discovered.

I did find a Montblanc ballpoint a grandmother gave to my father. She's an awful woman and, with my father's consent, sold it on ebay.

I really really wish that I can have a pen from my dad/grandpa, that would have make me feel warm inside when I use the pen. Alas, none of them are FP users. Instead, I got a mechanical watch from my dad's collection after he passed away.

Well, at least my kids will have plenty of pens to choose from someday.