Private Reserve Dakota Red

Breck

See below,

post-17697-1229990538_thumb.jpg

If you blow the photo up to full size, the color looks quite true in the top 1/3 of the image, at least on my monitor.

A good red ink, but not flawless. I'm just happy to use something other than Noodler's that wasn't a total disappointment. I'm looking at you , Lamy inks. :angry:

The paper on the left is Rhodia, the notebook is the Quo Vadis Habana (Clairefontaine paper).

edit to add link to review by fellow Louisvillian jlh8114. I think her swabs are closer to the true color than her written scan, but YMMV, as always.

edited again to add that this ink tends to go down a light, orange-ish, not-fully-ripe-tomato kind of color, then dries to a rich, true red.

Edited by Ann Finley

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breck

• susegad

• gibsona9

• Souldrifter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent review of one of my permanent stock of inks.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 2 months later...

I just got a bottle of this today and have almost no bleed through on my Ampad Executive Journal nor my Ampad tablet. I love the color of this ink, it is almost an exact color copy of the ink used in the Pilot Precise V5/V7 pens! yay!!

The color of your scan looks pretty close on my monitor, but mabye missing just a little bit of 'red' to me.

Great review!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 month later...

I think this is the one that Pear Tree doesn't carry anymore because it develops some pretty nasty sludge. :( Careful with your pens.

Thanks for the great display of what this ink can do, gibsona!

@Reginleif: I haven't heard that before, can you confirm it? I certainly haven't had any problems. No sludge in the bottle, which is almost a year old, and great flow in my note-taking pen (Esterbrook J with 9556 Fine and 9450 Extra Fine Posting) where Nikita really struggled with flow issues.

Also, with the 9450 nib, I'm definitely noticing less bleedthrough than I indicated in my initial review, even exclusively writing marginalia on 20# junk copy paper for lecture notes. There's still some, but it's not enough to obscure the printed text on the other side, and not enough to jumble handwriting on both sides of the paper.

I haven't heard that before, can you confirm it? I certainly haven't had any problems. No sludge in the bottle, which is almost a year old, and great flow in my note-taking pen (Esterbrook J with 9556 Fine and 9450 Extra Fine Posting) where Nikita really struggled with flow issues.

Happened to me - the bottle just sludged up between fillings. Unfortunately, I was filling a pen when I found this out ! The pen pretty much plugged/gunked up on the spot. It took a determined cleaning, soaking, and more cleaning to get the pen back to full operational status. I had used Dakota Red as my chosen correction colour ink for a long time. I stopped right there and switched over to another ink.

John P.

I too am a big fan of Dakota Red. Bright, vibrant, deep... Here's some flex work with Dakota Red:

I love your writing :thumbup: . What nib were you using. Just a normal flex?

@Reginleif: I haven't heard that before, can you confirm it? I certainly haven't had any problems. No sludge in the bottle, which is almost a year old, and great flow in my note-taking pen (Esterbrook J with 9556 Fine and 9450 Extra Fine Posting) where Nikita really struggled with flow issues.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, MF. Work has been busy. I'm in the floral industry.. heh. Mother's Day is coming up.

Here's the post by James of PTP.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=595091

Edited by Reginleif

Lovely red and a lovely handwriting.

I to am a big fan of Dakota Red. Bright, vibrant, deep... Here's some flex work with Dakota Red:

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Sorry for taking so long to reply, MF. Work has been busy. I'm in the floral industry.. heh. Mother's Day is coming up.

Here's the post by James of PTP.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=595091

Thanks, Reginleif. As a matter of fact, the Dakota Red does have tendency to dry on the nib when I use my Esterbrook posting (rigid xxf) nib for class notes. Noodler's Nikita does the same thing. I've found both to be trouble-free from a regular fine nib, though.

Guess I'm still looking for the right red.