Seyès Ruling (a.k.a. French Ruling)

Guest Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

I have read several enquiries in the past few months about "French ruled" paper, properly called "Seyès". I found today a font that mimics it, and shows how useful it is to teach children how to write with even, proportionate letters. It sets guides for each letter, majuscule and minuscule, for where they start, end, connect, etc... There are 3 minor lines between two majors. Not shown with this font are the vertical lines, giving this ruling it's popular name in schools, "grand carreaux", which means "big squares", as opposed to "petits carreaux" (graph paper). A wide left margin is also defined by a red vertical line, and is usually reserved for teacher notes. All lines, other than the margin one, are printed in blue.

For the story, Seyès is the name of the bookstore owner who patented this ruling, in the first years of the 20th century. After his patent was granted, he filled a law suit against a rival who was using the same ruling. He lost his claim, as it was demonstarted that it actually existed since 1890, when it was invented by a school inspector. The name of the original inventor was lost, and the name Seyès is still attached to this typically French ruling.

http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet/seyes.gif

Edited by Denis Richard

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anne-Sophie

• celfyddwr

• Sonnet

• georgem

I was one of the people who have asked about French-ruled paper on one of these forums, and this is a very good explanation. It seems like a wonderful concept. But I just have one question, you mentioned the vertical lines (not shown), but what are they for? Are they just guides to help people write the letters perfectly vertical? Or to they have another purpose?

I promise, this will be my last question about the subject. :blush:

--

Ted

Edited by celfyddwr

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Ted,

Good question. The vertical lines are used as tabulations. This way you have position references to align your paragraphs, items, etc...

Not sure I was clear on this one... after 4pm I tend to completely lose my english :lol:

Denis.

Ah-ha! So they're kind of like tab-stops on a typewriter, or in a word-processing application on a computer - if I understand correctly.

I think that was quite clear. After 4pm I tend to completely lose my mind, so it's all good. :P

--

Ted

Edited by celfyddwr

For several other useful kinds of ruled paper (the "Stage-Rite" paper series, which I invented), visit

http://www.theraproducts.com/index/page-ca...4245/sub-19342/

Ignore the rather pitiful graphics (2005 should bring much larger, clearer ones, and just send the publisher (Karen Conrad) an e-mail ( kcotr@theraproducts.com ) asking for samples of the different kinds of "Stage-Rite" paper - then use the web-page as your price-list.

Some of my early drafts for various "Stage-Rite" designs actually had vertical lines like those in the Seyès paper, but the publisher didn't feel a need for them. (She sells the paper mainly to schoolchildren. However, I've done pretty well selling it to adults through my Handwriting Repair booth at the rare fountain-pen show that I manage to attend.)

Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair

kate@global2000.net

http://www.global2000.net/handwritingrepair

325 South Manning Boulevard

Albany, New York 12208-1731 USA

telephone 518/482-6763

AND REMEMBER ...

you can order books through my site!

(Amazon.com link -

I get a 5% - 15% commission on each book sold)

For several other useful kinds of ruled paper (the "Stage-Rite" paper series, which I invented), visit

http://www.theraproducts.com/index/page-ca...4245/sub-19342/

Ignore the rather pitiful graphics (2005 should bring much larger, clearer ones, and just send the publisher (Karen Conrad) an e-mail ( kcotr@theraproducts.com ) asking for samples of the different kinds of "Stage-Rite" paper - then use the web-page as your price-list.

Some of my early drafts for various "Stage-Rite" designs actually had vertical lines like those in the Seyès paper, but the publisher didn't feel a need for them. (She sells the paper mainly to schoolchildren. However, I've done pretty well selling it to adults through my Handwriting Repair booth at the rare fountain-pen show that I manage to attend.)

Those sort of look like the pads that I've seen at Walmart that are staged for different levels of writing.

Guest Denis Richard

I had a question backchannel about the availability of this ruling in the us, and I thought I would post my answer here too :

The seyes font I used for that post is available here :

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/dos/1232/page01.html

The only source I know, are U.S. retailer of French stationary brands. And actually, th eonly brand I know that is sold here, is Clairefontaine. The list of retailers can be found on the mother company web site :

http://www.exaclair.com/

Pendemonium does carry it (they call it French ruled). Swisher does not have the Seyes ruling from what I know.

• 2 months later...

A few months ago, after learning somewhat more about it from one of Denis posts, I started using some Clairefontaine notebooks with the Seyes ruling. I find that it helps me keep my writing within bounds.

After using these notebooks for a while, I thought it would be useful to have a computer template that would print a sheet with this ruling whenever desired for other use.

After a fruitless search for one, I devised one using Microsoft Word, and after the effort, wanted to share it with others. Since the ruling itself appears to be public domain, I did not think there would be a problem in doing so

Here are links to three documents which will produce the Seyes ruling.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.doc

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.dot

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.pdf

They are all the same document. For those familiar with Microsoft Word, https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.dot is perhaps the more useful. Save the document to the templates folder used by Microsoft Word.

The File ending in .doc may be more useful for those using programs that can open and read a Microsoft Word document.

Finally, there is a pdf file for those who prefer to compute without Microsoft.

Finally, I would like to thank Denis for his assistance. Since I do not have a document or image server, nor a way to create a pdf file, Denis kindly hosted these files for me and created the pdf file.

Thank you again, Denis.

George

Pelikan Convert and User

Gentlemen,

I use an outline guides made by the calligrapher Margaret Shepherd. She has a book on calligraphy and I got the outlines there. However, do a google search on her and you will find her website which has the guides there. You can shrink them or whatever. I use them on a light table with other paper as practice. Its really useful for calligraphy and regular italic writing and just general proportion and height keeping.

my .02 worth (with inflation and the price of gas aint worth 2 cents)

Kevin in Atlanta

Edited by Kevin in Atlanta

• 1 month later...

This topic sent me back to memory lane and I decided to make my own seyes paper using Appleworks drawing program.

I first made a tricolor ruled guideline with vertical lines to practice capital letters.

Then I added more horizontal line to make a true Seyes tricolor guideline.

Then I made a black and white version of the Seyes to guide me when I write on blank paper.

Tricolors guidelines impossible to scan :(

I'll try to scan the Seyes black and white version later.

My version has wider spaces between the lines, regular Seyes lines like the ones in Clairefontaine and all french papers and notebooks have smaller space between horizontal lines.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Hi Anne-Sophie!

I don't know anything about Appleworks - can that file be exported to a WinXP format of a related software?

Is this a word processor, desktop publisher, or??? that you used to do this.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi KCat,

The sample was created in the painting program of Appleworks, Apple's answer to Microsoft Works.

I printed the tricolor version blue main horizontal lines/purple secondary horizontal lines /teal vertical lines to make a personalized journal out of my very nice printer paper.

I though I scan the sample to share with fellow Seyes enthusiasts. But the colors did not come out at all, which is weird because the scanner scan pet pictures wonderfully.

I will scan the black and white version which I use as guideline under blank sheets of printer paper.

I took a clue from you and started using printer paper for calligraphy practice.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I cannot post scans! Where is the browse button? :doh:

Hi Anne-Sophie,

Scans you have to post as a picture. IOW, you need a picture host, place it there, and link it here through the IMG button. If you don´t have a picture host, send it to me via email, and I´ll host it for you and send you the link back, no problem.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 8 months later...

Hi all. This is only the second time I've used my scanner and the first time I've used Photobucket, so bear with me.

The orginal is a 17x22cm notebook page. (roughly 6 5/8"x8 5/8")

Ryan.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/seouldrifting/newSeyes0000.jpg

Beautiful handwriting Ryan. Thanks for sharing it!

I really hope I can acquire some more of this paper. I had a Rhodia Pad with it on it but I haven't been able to track anymore down in the UK :(.

• 1 month later...

Where in the United States, Minnesota, can one buy Clairefontaine papers? I have looked in Office Max, where I couldn't find it; perhaps it can be found at my Paradise Pen Co. store?