Grandluxe Monologue

sofian

I came across this product from Grandluxe (www.grandluxe.com) that I'd like to share this bit of info with everyone. The usual disclaimer applies (no affiliation etc, etc)

post-8982-1209790004_thumb.jpg

It looks like a Moleskine (back pocket, elastic and all). It feels like a Moleskine (the oilskin is similar if not the same). And it even smells like a Moleskine! However, its a product called Monologue (produced by a company called Grandluxe). So, how does it differ from a Moleskine?

• First of all, I've used all kinds of pen-and-ink combinations with this product and never once faced any heartache of any kind. The paper doesn't blot and ink never bleeds through. This is a far cry from my experience with the Moleskine.
  • Secondly, it is 70% CHEAPER than the Moleskine. What more can I ask for?

Since I can buy three of these babies for the price of a Moleskine, no prizes for guessing what brand my next few hundred notebooks are going to be.

OK, these Monologues may not have the mystique of the Moleskine, but mystique isn't very high up in my priority list anyway.

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

Pelikan M200 Demo / translucent red / medium nibstroke

Lamy 2000 / black / oblique medium nibstroke

Pilot Vanishing Point / yellow / medium nibstroke

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are the the requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost"

-Gustav Flaubert-

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sofian

• airdancer

• inkypete

• aka

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do these lay as flat as the moleskines? that's a must for me!

Yes... exactly like the Moleskines.

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are the the requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost"

-Gustav Flaubert-

Even better, they come in pretty colors! Whee!

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Emailed the manufacturer but they advise they are not available in Australia. Then asked if I was interested in importing them - give them an A for effort.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Emailed the manufacturer but they advise they are not available in Australia. Then asked if I was interested in importing them - give them an A for effort.

Can you just mail order?

Can you just mail order?

Think I would have to find a retailer rather than the manufacturer.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

:hmm1: another user also extolled the virtues of this notebook but I found that they do not lie as flat as Moleskine. Hi Sofian, do you have to apply some pressure prior to usage for it to lie flat?

Using now: Pelikan M400 Green, Sailor 1911s, Parker 51, Pelikan M200

:hmm1: another user also extolled the virtues of this notebook but I found that they do not lie as flat as Moleskine. Hi Sofian, do you have to apply some pressure prior to usage for it to lie flat?

Hi airdancer! No, I do not have to apply any pressure to get these things to lay down flat. Having said that, I will admit that the first and the last few pages will need some coaxing, though; just like most non-spiral bound notebooks.

Hmmm, at least I can now identify one flaw with these Monologues :ltcapd:

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

-Gustav Flaubert-

No, I do not have to apply any pressure to get these things to lay down flat. Having said that, I will admit that the first and the last few pages will need some coaxing, though; just like most non-spiral bound notebooks.

What size are you using? I bought a ~A6 size one and it won't lay flat. I don't have any Moleskins or the larger one to compare to, but some A5-size books I made myself can lie flat, so that's what I was expecting after hearing that they supposedly can open flat. Of course this may be an issue due to its small size, but I just want to know before I get some of the larger ones.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

I've an A6 one and it won't remain flat when open, not without applying pressure.

One more flaw -- the "skin" used for the covers is susceptible to fungus. So keep the book in the open. (Then again maybe this only applies when you're in the tropics.)

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Very sorry, if I hijacked the thread. If you're in Singapore and desperate for a good notebook, Kinokuniya carries a apica refill notebook with a 'Personal' labeled in front. It opens flat without any pressure and the paper is quite amazing. Picture here.It's the beige one in the center of the picture.

Edited by airdancer

Using now: Pelikan M400 Green, Sailor 1911s, Parker 51, Pelikan M200

THe monologue cover is very unlike that of Moleskine, at least to me the monologue feels "rubbery". The paper appears comparable. THey are widely available here in Singapore.

No, I do not have to apply any pressure to get these things to lay down flat. Having said that, I will admit that the first and the last few pages will need some coaxing, though; just like most non-spiral bound notebooks.

What size are you using? I bought a ~A6 size one and it won't lay flat. I don't have any Moleskins or the larger one to compare to, but some A5-size books I made myself can lie flat, so that's what I was expecting after hearing that they supposedly can open flat. Of course this may be an issue due to its small size, but I just want to know before I get some of the larger ones.

Actually, I am using the bigger one. So far, no problems with getting the thing to lie flat. I bought six at once and none of them had this problem. Maybe I got a particularly good batch :unsure:

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

-Gustav Flaubert-

I've an A6 one and it won't remain flat when open, not without applying pressure.

One more flaw -- the "skin" used for the covers is susceptible to fungus. So keep the book in the open. (Then again maybe this only applies when you're in the tropics.)

Hmm... I never had this problem. I suppose its just like leaving our shoes in dark, damp places here in the tropics - mold tends to appear. Maybe, like you said, its probably best kept them in the open.

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

-Gustav Flaubert-

THe monologue cover is very unlike that of Moleskine, at least to me the monologue feels "rubbery". The paper appears comparable. THey are widely available here in Singapore.

After reading your post, I went and closely compared the 'skins'. Yes, you are right. They are different - but ever so slightly. This this no biggie to me, tho. The important thing is that the paper used in the Monologue is able to take kindly to all the pen-and-ink combinations I have thrown at it

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

-Gustav Flaubert-

• 2 years later...