Paper Mate fountain pen

Bernie0104

Today I found an amazing old-fashioned stationers/print shop which had some great New Old Stock pens. I bought a gold plated Paper Mate fountain pen for only £10.00. I don't know too much about Paper Mate's history regarding fountain pens as they are best known for ballpoint pens and felt-tip pens as far as I am aware. I would imagine that this pen dates back to the 80's, since Paper Mate left the quality pen market a long time ago to concentrate on budget pens and disposables. This particular fountain pen is quite wonderful, buttery smooth and giving a fantastic wet line. It has a gold-plated medium nib and is marked 'Paper Mate W. Germany' around the cap. It is very well made, seemingly to very tight tolerancies, has all-metal construction (with a black anodized section)and a semi-hooded nib. It came with an original Paper Mate piston type converter fitted.

I am very impressed with this pen, as it outperforms many of my current fountain pens (including a new Lamy Studio and several Parker Sonnets) in terms of smoothness and sheer writing pleasure. Therefore, I'd like to know a bit more about it. Does anyone here know anything about these pens? I'd be most grateful if anyone could give me more information. Are they all this good, or was I just lucky? Should I buy another while I still can?

Bernie.

PS Sorry about the multiple posts! Problems uploading this post earlier!

Edited by Bernie0104

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bernie0104

• mr T.

• Robin

• AndyH

Top Posters In This Topic

You are absolutely right about the quality of the Papermate pens. Some (not all) were actually made for Papermate by Mont Blanc. I have several of these pens and all write extremely well. They are a bit slender for my hand, but I do use one occasionally in my rotation. They are truly a bargain. You can often find them as new old stock. The only colors I remember seeing are gold plated, burgundy, and matte black. I suspect there may have been more. Good find and if it were me, I'd grab a few more.

Best regards,

Jerry

You are absolutely right about the quality of the Papermate pens. Some (not all) were actually made for Papermate by Mont Blanc. I have several of these pens and all write extremely well. They are a bit slender for my hand, but I do use one occasionally in my rotation. They are truly a bargain. You can often find them as new old stock. The only colors I remember seeing are gold plated, burgundy, and matte black. I suspect there may have been more. Good find and if it were me, I'd grab a few more.

Best regards,

Jerry

Hello There,

Thanks for the fascinating info. Is it that only certain models were made by Mont Blanc, or did Paper Mate source a given model from multiple manufacturers - Mont Blanc included?

I have two of these pens: a matte burgundy and a gold plated Model 101. Given the high level of fit and finish - and the smoothness of the nibs - it's not hard for me to believe that they were made by a high-end pen company.

Cheers,

Jon

Ohhh. Pictures, please! Would love to see what these look like again.

Montblanc making for PaperMate...who would have thunk it?

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Reviewed here on FPN a (plastic) Paper Mate Monogram fountain pen myself. The review is here. This is probably one of the best fountain pens I've ever written with. As far as I know, Paper Mate made fountain pens in Germany and in the US. The one I reviewed here on FPN is made in Germany. On the blisterpack was printed that it was made by Gillette (then the owner of Paper Mate) in Berlin (and not that they were made by a company or factory in Hamburg). Seen the huge differences in quality (Paper Mate fountain pens are much better quality than Mont Blanc fountain pens), I really doubt Mont Blanc ever made fountain pens for Paper Mate. Mont Blanc has also a history itself by producing MB labeled products by other companies (like Ballograf). I also read once here on FNP that Paper Mate pens were made by Shaeffer. This is in my opinion also very unlikely. So if (some) Paper Mate fountain pens really were made by Mont Blanc, I really like to know the source of information that can confirm this. Gillette was, when these pens were made, also the owner of Parker. Also that fact makes is very unlikely that Paper Mate fountain pens were made by MB. Why would these pens be made by a competitor in the fountain pen market?

Hi,

I noticed you were in Glasgow, and was wondering where this shop you've found is?

:o)

Draw Write (I think that's what it's called) in Ayr. Happened to be at the seaside that day!

Ohhh. Pictures, please! Would love to see what these look like again.

As requested, some pictures!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/462216860_220f42c6c9.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/249/462216858_18fd84f868.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/236/462216828_b038128cea.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/462216832_2b23a5c11e.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/236/462216828_b038128cea.jpg

Hi,

I noticed you were in Glasgow, and was wondering where this shop you've found is?

Further info: Shop is in Sandgate, Ayr (not too far from the seafront). They also had some wonderful things that you don't see too often here like Pilot Birdie fountain pens and other interesting Japanese stuff. I must make another trip to Ayr! Not too far away from Glasgow by car (or train), and a nice day out too! Next time I go, I may well go by train and take my bike with me... go for a cycle along the seafront, buy some pens, go for a coffee... bliss!

Bernie.

(Edited to correct spelling mistake in address).

Edited by Bernie0104

Best regards,

Jerry

A metal-bodied fountain pen made by Mont Blanc, brand new for a tenner? Result!!! Thanks for the info. I've been curious about this pen ever since I bought it. It is VERY good quality, which had me wondering about its origin. Guess I'll have to see if they have any more of them left in the shop!

Bernie.

The Mont Blanc connection to Papermate only applies to the pens marked West Germany. My source of this information is a conversation I had with Sam at Pendemonium. I would never doubt her voracity. If Sam tells you something, you can bet she can back it up. All the West German pens I've seen are metal bodied. The blue one in the aforementioned review appears to be a plastic body. Anyone who has ever used one of these metal bodied, West German, Papermates will attest to the quality. The pens are reminiscent of the Mont Blanc Nobless and are a real bargain when you find them.

Best regards,

Jerry

The Mont Blanc connection to Papermate only applies to the pens marked West Germany. My source of this information is a conversation I had with Sam at Pendemonium. I would never doubt her voracity. If Sam tells you something, you can bet she can back it up. All the West German pens I've seen are metal bodied. The blue one in the aforementioned review appears to be a plastic body. Anyone who has ever used one of these metal bodied, West German, Papermates will attest to the quality. The pens are reminiscent of the Mont Blanc Nobless and are a real bargain when you find them.

Best regards,

Jerry

Glad mine is marked 'W. Germany' then! Excellent! Seriously though, these are very good quality pens, which is obvious as soon as you hold one in your hand. Great buys if you can find them!

Bernie.

brand new for a tenner?

Maybe these pens are NOS. Don't think pens that are made about 15-20 years ago are really 'new'.

All the West German pens I've seen are metal bodied. The blue one in the aforementioned review appears to be a plastic body. Anyone who has ever used one of these metal bodied, West German, Papermates will attest to the quality.

Paper Mate fountains pens are very good quality, I agree. Better than the products of most major brands. The blue one in the review is indeed made of plastic (and seem to be even more rare than the ones made from metal). The plastic Paper Mate fountain pens (the Monogram model) are as good as the ones made from metal.

brand new for a tenner?

Maybe these pens are NOS. Don't think pens that are made about 15-20 years ago are really 'new'.

All the West German pens I've seen are metal bodied. The blue one in the aforementioned review appears to be a plastic body. Anyone who has ever used one of these metal bodied, West German, Papermates will attest to the quality.

Paper Mate fountains pens are very good quality, I agree. Better than the products of most major brands. The blue one in the review is indeed made of plastic (and seem to be even more rare than the ones made from metal). The plastic Paper Mate fountain pens (the Monogram model) are as good as the ones made from metal.

Yes, you are correct. I was referring to the condition of the pen when I said 'brand new'. They are probably 15-20 years old as you say, but never inked. Mine still had the manufacturer's sticker on the barrel indicating the nib grade. All of the plating is as new as well. Fantastic!

Bernie.

Hi,

If you decide to pay this shop a visit, DON'T go on a Sunday - it isn't open! Found this out to my cost at the weekend.

Regards,

Bernie.

• 3 months later...

I've had a Papermate gold fountain pen for over 20 years and it is a wonderful writing instrument. I had to replace the converter a while back but other than that I've had no problem with it. It's not my primary pen any more but I do keep it on my desk in my study and use it regularly there.

I saw one for sale recently (exactly like mine except with a Med nib rather than Fine) on the net for about $100.00 US. They are very rare these days and if you get a chance to snag one I would recommend that you pick it up. You'll be happy you did.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Mutschler made some pens for MB like some of the Noblesse pens, the Turbo, Carrera, and Caressa. So I would suppose that the Papermate pen is probably Mutscher too. It fits in the timeframe.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 1 month later...

Just been to the shop in question and got a gold plated Papermate fountain pen for £10.

I also got two Pilot Birdie fountain pens (one white, one black section) for only £4.99 each.

Bargain. :bunny01:

Hi,

Mutschler made some pens for MB like some of the Noblesse pens, the Turbo, Carrera, and Caressa. So I would suppose that the Papermate pen is probably Mutscher too. It fits in the timeframe.

Dillon

Yes, that is my info as well. I had a gold plated and a black PaperMate fountain pen, but they were much too thin for my hands. So I sold them to somebody who cared more about them. However, they were very well made, and stylish looking pens!