A new ink company!

meanwhile

New to me, at least:

http://www.jacquiblackman.co.uk/penman.htm

The Roberson's Penman Ink has four varieties in the range. The Classical Transparent is similar to traditional fountain pen ink; the Liquid Gouache ink is just what it says it is; the Permanent Pigmented ink has the properties and feel of 'Indian' ink and the Natural Historical inks are made from ancient recipes and biological pigments. All available in a 30 ml glass bottle....

The Classical Transparent Inks... offer a wide spectrum of colours, made from the highest quality, full strength natural dyes to provide maximum resistance to light and ageing. The translucent colours have a bright, rich tone, are water soluble and Ph neutral. Excellent luminosity, smooth and free flowing, with no spluttering or skidding. All colours are intermixable. Most have staining properties.

The Classical Transparent ink range are suitable for use with... Fountain pens (except Mont Blanc)

http://www.jacquiblackman.co.uk/images/penman1.jpg

...all intermix, good if you wish to make a colour unique to you.

...We have recently opened an eShop at www.jandtblackman.ltd.uk where these inks are available.

- Jonathan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meanwhile

• plipule

• playpen

• saintsimon

QUOTE (meanwhile @ Feb 27 2007, 07:28 PM)

The Classical Transparent ink range are suitable for use with... Fountain pens (except Mont Blanc)

Why not Mont Blanc? Any ideas? Before I put any of these inks into one of my pens I think I'd like to know the reason for this qualification.....

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

Yes, I wondered about the MBs too. As I'm here in the UK I thought I'd mail them for a chat. Any other questions that anyone would like passing on?

- Jonathan

These appear to be more suited to calligraphy brushes and pens.

"...similar to traditional fountain pen ink"

"Most have staining properties."

Not for me, thanks.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Might be worth the sacrifice of a spare Kultur to check it out, though. rolleyes.gif

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

QUOTE (Phthalo @ Feb 27 2007, 08:14 PM)
These appear to be more suited to calligraphy brushes and pens.

"...similar to traditional fountain pen ink"
"Most have staining properties."

Not for me, thanks.

Yes. Otoh they do state that they have four ranges and that only the "translucents" are suitable for FPs. As for the staining properties, isn't the same true of many Noodlers and PRs?

- Jonathan

I'm not clear on whether they mean staining the pen or staining the paper. I suspect the latter.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

QUOTE (sonia_simone @ Feb 27 2007, 08:54 PM)
I'm not clear on whether they mean staining the pen or staining the paper. I suspect the latter.

Ummm... doesn't every ink stain the paper? By definition? I take it that I'm missing something here?

- Jonathan

No, some mediums, especially watercolour paints, are known for 'staining' properties, and that's a good thing, because it means the paint pigment is very fine, and embeds deeply in watercolour paper, keeping it on the surface over time.

Because of the choice of wording, "staining", it just seems to me these are artists inks, rather than for FP's.

Who's willing to test them out in a cheapie? smile.gif

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

No, some mediums, especially watercolour paints, are known for 'staining' properties, and that's a good thing, because it means the paint pigment is very fine, and embeds deeply in watercolour paper, keeping it on the surface over time.

Because of the choice of wording, "staining", it just seems to me these are artists inks, rather than for FP's.

Well: they were very specific that these ARE fp inks, just as the other three ranges are not.

Who's willing to test them out in a cheapie? smile.gif

I'll see if I feel like the bother later: I'm still fighting the battle for Permanent Purple at the moment.

- Jonathan

I'd be wary of any artist's ink, even if it mentions fountain pens. (I'd have no hesitation about trying it in an Esterbrook or a Phileas, though.)

If you're willing to experiment, FW Artists Ink "Transparent" colors work in technical pens and would probably work (to some degree) in FPs too. There are some other calligraphy inks like this too.

I have no idea what they mean by "Except for Mont Blanc," unless they mean "don't use it in an expensive pen," which makes sense.

Having said that, I do highly recommend J & T Blackman - I've bought a few dip pen nibs and supplies from them.

Michael Moncur

Is there anything in a Mont Blanc warranty that would be voided by using inks with certain additives or ingredients? Perhaps that's why there is a note about avoiding these inks with this pen and the seller is simply covering themselves against any possible claim which may arise.

QUOTE (spice-the-cat @ Feb 28 2007, 12:38 AM)
Is there anything in a Mont Blanc warranty that would be voided by using inks with certain additives or ingredients? Perhaps that's why there is a note about avoiding these inks with this pen and the seller is simply covering themselves against any possible claim which may arise.

As far as I know, Mont Blanc doesn't specify any brand names of ink as being unsuitable for their pens or voiding the warranty. They do, however, suggest their own ink as being best. smile.gif

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Well, the nice lady offered to send some bottles of ink for me to try. I'm willing in turn to send out sample vials to people willing to pony up the postage and the no doubt huge cost of the vials. More details as I get them, and I have a Kultur on stand-by.

- Jonathan

I am going to remain skeptical until someone here tries one (or more) of these out. It really sounds to me like these inks are more suited for dip pens, despite the statement that some are FP safe. And why not MontyB pens? That sounds very odd.

QUOTE (spice-the-cat @ Feb 28 2007, 06:38 AM)

Yes, MB specifically states that the use of non-MB inks voids the warranty on the pen.

However, I have never heard that they actually upheld that rule. I am sure that in a court of law they couldn't uphold it either, especially since some of their inks are sold under other brand names as well. Lamy, f.e., springs to mind...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just tried out several of the inks very briefly thanks to the nice people who sell the ink, who sent me some free sample bottles to try.

As I got them free, I'll be making samples available if people want them.

Two inks made my jaw drop immediately. An amazingly organic looking deciduous green made me feel like I was writing with the concentrated essence of crushed spring and summer leaves. And a candy pink that was full of colour but as legible as most blues or blacks.

I also did a very quick test of the inks' potential for mixing and got an attractive dark mossy green that looks like the descriptions of Diamine Umber that I've read.

Finally, the inks seem to work well writing over each other - the pinks, yellows, oranges and even turquoise might work well as highlighters.

On the whole, a very favourable first impression. Much more to follow, including scans.

- Jonathan

Looking forward to your scans! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

"An amazingly organic looking deciduous green made me feel like I was writing with the concentrated essence of crushed spring and summer leaves."

This really intrigued me--I'm always looking for the perfect green (to my taste) so that I don't have to continue to mix my own.

TIA,

Ann

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (playpen @ Mar 31 2007, 01:59 PM)
I've been holding my breath this entire time, waiting for the scans. Should I breathe now? ohmy.gif

It depends on the shade of blue you turned to. tongue.gif