Flexibility In Wahl #0 14K Nib?

copperx

I was wondering wether the Wahl #0 14k nib, e.g. on the small Wahl Bantam pen, exhibits some sort of flexibility, and if so, how much?

He did not use a fountain pen which fact, as any psychoanalyst will tell you, meant that the patient was a repressed undinist. -from Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vintagepens

• copperx

• gregamckinney

• jbb

Like any other nib, some are rigid, others are flexible, and there are others in between.

Keep in mind, however, that smaller nibs that are flexible will generally afford less line width variation than larger nibs. It's strictly a matter of geometry: a small nib cannot be made to open up widely without eventually fatiguing.

As David points out, in flexible nibs, to get the widest gamut of line variation size does matter. On the other hand while smaller nibs will not give the widest line variation they still can provide some very nice figuring. The #2 nibs came in a variety of flexes, but the flexible #2s are very flexible indeed, and for many writers, easier to handle than a wide splaying #6 flexible.

The Wahl size "0" nibs did not come in a variety of firmness. They were all semi-flex by design, but some variation in firmness did happen due to alloy mix changes and thickness of gold alloy sheet used was a little thinner than that use din #2's on up. And there was some variation from one batch to another from which the nibs were stamped.

However, You also mentioned Bantam nibs as if they were the same as earlier "0" size nibs. The Bantam was a $1 pen even advertised as good for party favors! Bantam nibs were gold plated and should not be confused with the "hand-wrought" 14K gold nibs of the earlier/other "0" nib pens.

Hope this helps

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Except it should be noted that a good number of Bantams were sold with solid 14K gold nibs -- which is what the original post refers to. I've not made an exhaustive study of catalog and ad references, so I don't know if the Bantams sold with gold nibs were offered under a slightly different name, nor do I know what the original pricing was, offhand.

I've not made an exhaustive study of catalog and ad references, so I don't know if the Bantams sold with gold nibs were offered under a slightly different name, nor do I know what the original pricing was, offhand.

$2 perhaps? :vbg:

He did not use a fountain pen which fact, as any psychoanalyst will tell you, meant that the patient was a repressed undinist. -from Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov

My small gold-filled Wahl ringtop with a 0 nib is a wet writer with lots of flex.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2518/5829753621_02153b5440_b.jpg

Except it should be noted that a good number of Bantams were sold with solid 14K gold nibs -- which is what the original post refers to. I've not made an exhaustive study of catalog and ad references, so I don't know if the Bantams sold with gold nibs were offered under a slightly different name, nor do I know what the original pricing was, offhand.

I look at a lot of Bantams, and see a non-trivial number of them with 14k nibs.

I don't have any way of knowing how many have had nib swaps along the way, however.

One thing I've noticed is that every Century of Progress Bantam I've seen (12-15 of them) has a 14k nib. I wonder what those sold for at the CoP?

All the "faceted Bantams" I've seen (8-10) also have had 14k nibs.

I would love to know more about this, particularly the "official, per the Catalogs" story. However, all I can provide is data based on what I've encountered.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I too have noted that the facetted Bantams consistently come with gold nibs, as do the solid-banded round ones. The funny thing is that one would expect the Bantams with three cap bands to be a deluxe version, but if so, that version does not seem to be one normally equipped with a 14K nib.

I too have noted that the facetted Bantams consistently come with gold nibs, as do the solid-banded round ones. The funny thing is that one would expect the Bantams with three cap bands to be a deluxe version, but if so, that version does not seem to be one normally equipped with a 14K nib.

I did have a three banded green stripe Bantam with a 14k nib. My red stripe broad single band example also has a 14k nib with surprising flexibility for something so small

Iechyd da pob Cymro