Doric Nibs

Corvus77

Recently came into possession of the small burgundy/pink pearl Eversharp in the Doric mode - the many sides and a diamond in a box cap band like the one shown in the photo in the Jan. 26 post asking a dating question. Like that pen, this is the smaller 4.75" version, with the short clip. My question is how would the proper nib be identified, because I doubt the one in the pen is original? Or maybe this was a low-budget version. But I would like to find a gold nib of the type that would be appropriate to this pen. Can anyone give me a description? Were the teardrop or Eversharp "banner" nibs like I see on Skylines ever used on these pens? Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corvus77

• Wahlnut

• jonveley

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer depends on which Doric time frame the pen comes from. If it is a "Gold Seal" model it came from the first generation period (1931-1934) equipped with a "personal Point" interchangeable point system and it was known as the "Popular Priced Clasp Clip Model (Actually #64210(x)DK, where the x stands for the color). And the correct nib was an EVERSHARP #4 sized nib with a heart-shaped breather hole. The "Eversharp" was in an arch shape. Now, this same pen cap band design continued on into the 2nd generation period (1935-1939), but it "lost" the Gold Seal and the pen came with either the same nib as above or an Adjustable nib. The stock number of these pens was #7310(x)DK. The change from 72 to 73 is how the 2 pens are distinguished from one another in "factory-dealer" speak. One day we may all be knowledgable enough about the numbering system to actually use it in the hobby and de-confuse the inaccuracies of using words (even words that Eversharp itself used) to describe these pens.

Hope this info is helpful

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

The answer depends on which Doric time frame the pen comes from. If it is a "Gold Seal" model it came from the first generation period (1931-1934) equipped with a "personal Point" interchangeable point system and it was known as the "Popular Priced Clasp Clip Model (Actually #64210(x)DK, where the x stands for the color). And the correct nib was an EVERSHARP #4 sized nib with a heart-shaped breather hole. The "Eversharp" was in an arch shape. Now, this same pen cap band design continued on into the 2nd generation period (1935-1939), but it "lost" the Gold Seal and the pen came with either the same nib as above or an Adjustable nib. The stock number of these pens was #7310(x)DK. The change from 72 to 73 is how the 2 pens are distinguished from one another in "factory-dealer" speak. One day we may all be knowledgable enough about the numbering system to actually use it in the hobby and de-confuse the inaccuracies of using words (even words that Eversharp itself used) to describe these pens.

Hope this info is helpful

Syd

It certainly is helpful. Since there is no gold seal, I guess the is the 2nd generation. I really appreciate knowing what to look for. I might have to make do with something else for the time being, but at least now I know. Thanks a ton. We are so lucky to have you handling this forum. You are a goldmine.

It doesn't make things any easier that Eversharp's warranty shop would replace a doric nib with whatever they had on hand, not necessarily what was originally installed in the pen. Into the 1950s, Eversharp had a "functional" warranty service which, for a lesser cost, would only do what was needed to put the pen back into service.