COUNTRY THAT IS THE BEST PEN MAKER

goodguy

wHICH COUNTRY MADE/MAKE THE BEST PENS IN YOUR EYES ?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. wHICH COUNTRY MADE/MAKE THE BEST PENS IN YOUR EYES ?

• 1.USA/CANADA
    • 2.ENGLAND
    • 3.ITALY
    • 4.FRANCE
    • 5.GERMANY
    • 6.ARGENTINA
    • 7.SWISS
    • 8.JAPAN
    • 9.CHINA
    • 10.OTHER

I think the country that made the best pens is USA.

Snorkel and 51 are just begining that list.

As usual I hope I didnt forget any country :doh:

Respect to all

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• Apollo

• Ray

• goodguy

Top Posters In This Topic

I also feel the US led the market in fountain pens. Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman, Conklin, Eversharp, Esterbrook, etc. all started in the good ol' USA.

Unfortunately as the US moved towards "more technologically advanced" ballpoints, the manufacturing of quality pens has shifted to Europe, with Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman all owned by European corporations.

Tom

A pen is a good deal like a rifle; much depends on the man behind it. Paraphrased from John Philip Souza

"Made in the past" and "makes now" are certainly different questions.

Plus the question can be interpreted at least two ways - either "Which country makes your one favourite pen" or "Which country has a large proportion of excellent pens".

In the past, the US probably takes the prize.

Presently, it's a tough call. Germany, Japan, France, and others are all in the running, and it depends what you prefer. I don't think the US really competes in that group of present-day manufacturers of excellent pens, but I could be persuaded otherwise. Don't forget that Cross has moved all or most of its production elsewhere.

Frankly, there are alot of great pens being produced in other countries (other than the USA) so it's a bit absurd to choose one country as the best manufacturer. The Snorkel and "51" were indeed great pens but are no longer manufactured. Back when the United States actually manufactured it's own products, I would say it was a strong contender. Nowadays, that legacy is practically gone. Who's left as a US manufacturer? Sheaffer, Bexley and Cross are the only ones I know of, although much of Cross' products are now being imported or have imported components.

When it comes to my own personal tastes, I look to Italy for style and elegance. I look to Japan for nibs and I look to Germany for reliability and design.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

The Snorkel and "51" were indeed great pens but are no longer manufactured.

Okay, let's have a little blue sky conjecture.

1. If the Sheaffer Snorkel and Parker 51 pens were authentically reproduced today in quality equivalent to their heyday, would they be considered as good as, or better than, the best current pens in their same modern price range?

2. What would be that price range, given an acceptable, not exorbitant, profit mark up (i.e., the same as for currently made pens)?

3. If nominal (i.e., relatively easy and not costly) current technological upgrades were made to the Snorkel and 51 materials and manufacture, how much better would they be, and, again, how would they stack up to the best current pens, similarly priced?

(Note, IMO, the current "re-makes" such as by Sheaffer do not appear to be good faith efforts to reproduce the original pen, and seem to be overpriced to cynically take advantage of oldtimer pen nostalgia - again, just my opinion.)

Nihonto Chicken

I would reply Italy. The best fountain pens come from there, I have no doubt about it. I would put Japan in close second place, mainly because of Sailor's excellence, but there are more brands in Italy, and also more diverse pens. In third place I would put France, given the excellence of Dupont and Waterman. There is very little to choose between these three countries; Italy only wins because of the sheer variety of stylish pens available in that nation.

The USA used to make good fountain pens, but not any more. It baffles me as to how anyone could select the USA when hardly any pens are being made there any more!

Germany makes very good nibs, but as for pens, it's another matter altogether! I am not a huge fan of German pens.

Edited by marklavar

Mark- curious response- have you owned a Montegrappa? I have one- a "Symphony" that has been railed upon because of its cap and.2mm hole which lets the ink dry out over a century of non-use- wondering if you consider a MG in your "Italy" praise-

Okay, let's have a little blue sky conjecture. 

1. If the Sheaffer Snorkel and Parker 51 pens were authentically reproduced today in quality equivalent to their heyday, would they be considered as good as, or better than, the best current pens in their same modern price range? 

2. What would be that price range, given an acceptable, not exorbitant, profit mark up (i.e., the same as for currently made pens)? 

3. If nominal (i.e., relatively easy and not costly) current technological upgrades were made to the Snorkel and 51 materials and manufacture, how much better would they be, and, again, how would they stack up to the best current pens, similarly priced? 

(Note, IMO, the current "re-makes" such as by Sheaffer do not appear to be good faith efforts to reproduce the original pen, and seem to be overpriced to cynically take advantage of oldtimer pen nostalgia - again, just my opinion.)

Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing the Sheaffer Snorkel and Parker "51" released "as they were" back in the old days. But, who knows? Perhaps one day as limited edition reproductions, but it's probably unlikely. Even if such pens were re-made, they would probably be different pens and most likely made outside of the USA such as the Parker 51 SE. The 51 Special Edition may look like a vintage "51" but in reality it's a Parker 45 in a fancy outfit. In my opinion, it was way overpriced for what it really was. It's a nice pen, but you could get yourself several vintage "51" vacs or aerometrics for the MSRP of one 51 SE.

As fas as the Sheaffer Snorkel is concerned, it was a pretty complex pen even by todays high-tech standards. Reproducing a functional and reliable Snorkel pen can be done, but it would translate into a pricey fountain pen. Is there a market for such pens? Perhaps for a few collectors, but otherwise I really dont think they would sell well. Anyway, one can find vintage Snorkels that can write as good as they did when they were made, so why even bother with a modern re-issue?

Does it really matter where a pen is made? Sometimes it does. For instance, you can get the top of the line China-made Hero pen for much less than the price of a high-end European, Japanese or American pen, but it's quality (although satisfactory) won't be the same. I own Watermans and Parkers made in France, Signums and Auroras made in Italy, Namiki/Pilots and Sailors made in Japan and Lamys, Rotrings and Pelikans made in Germany. All have their distinct charm, but all are high quality pens and perform as such.

Now, contrary to the opinion of Marklavar and other Pelikan bashers of late, my experience with German fountain pens have great. I don't limit myself to collecting expensive pens as some do, I actually use all my pens and I have never had a Lamy fountain pen fail me (I own and use several Lamy models) and I've never had a Pelikan fail me either. I also have a couple of Rotrings and Kaweco Sports that are practically bullet proof. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I voted for Japan.

WHAT? The Founder of KRPAC voted for Japan? Not Germany?

Well, yeah. Whatever I think of Pelikans (no need to elaborate), Kawecos (Sturdy consistently good OOTB pens), Lamy (see Kaweco comment) and Rotring (see comment on Kaweco and Lamy but don't like the styling on most of 'em), I think Japanese manufacturers are more open to playing with design, nib variation (I mean variety of nibs, not line variation) and overall quality while I feel like many European makers are getting complacent about those things. I don't like most Italian pens but not because of they're quality, I'm sure there are good quality Italian pens, but because most of them are way overdone. Can you say "BLING"? But that's the great thing about all the different choices from the different countries - you can find the rather conservative pens of Pelikan to be understated and beautiful in their relative austerity as I do. Or you can revel in the massive amounts of metal and bright colors of many Italian pens or you can go for Dani Trio with it's most basic black hard rubber to it's outrageous (in a good way) maki-e or Waterman's mostly mellow but not too boring looks and so on.

I wouldn't even consider the US in the running frankly. Not because of poor quality, but because there is so little emphasis on FPs. Bexley impresses me the most of late as a US company, but otherwise, I find the other US companies to be making bland pens.

But what the heck, I love 'em all. Filcao (Italy) makes some lovely looking pens that aren't overdone. Pelikan sometimes makes silly overdone LEs. Probably the truth is, they all have something to offer and unless you have some emotional issues with a particular country then you shouldn't write off pens based on origin but based on how the pens feel in your hand, how well they write, and how they fit your budget.

totally a side comment - I've seen Pelikan bashed for recycling the Souveran style in different colors and accents, even for the LEs. Has anyone not noticed the Delta LEs? Sure they're gaudier - but does that make them any different from what Pelikan does? OTOH, I do understand *why* it's done that way. It's cost effective. New shapes and cost more money. Here is where Waterman excels. The Serenite is stunning IMO. And you have everything from the Art Deco of the Phileas to very businesslike Expert and the more flamboyant Charleston.

Ah shoot - love 'em all.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Oh My,

This is a tough choice. I have 3 german pens, one japanese. Of the experience I have I perfer my german pen. But it was a though choice between japan and germany.

I think it's an interesting question...

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

Mark- curious response- have you owned a Montegrappa? I have one- a "Symphony" that has been railed upon because of its cap and.2mm hole which lets the ink dry out over a century of non-use- wondering if you consider a MG in your "Italy" praise-

Funnily enough, Montegrappa is one brand I'm not very keen on. But my Stipula, Visconti and Omas pens are all gems - excellent pens!

I don't really understand why there are those who state that Italian pens are 'overdone'. It's not 'overdoing' it's STYLE! Same reason why Armani, Versace and Prada are popular - but then I guess most of the old buffers here would prefer wearing funeral black every day! :D

Edited by marklavar

I agree that there are two separate questions: Who made the best pens in the past and who makes them now.

The U. S. was the clear winner in the past. Technological innovation, quality of production, variety, design ..... you name it. The U. S. was best.

Sadly that is not now the case. There was only one surviving all-American pen made which was Sheaffer. After about May of this year, that ended.

Bexley produces a superlative pen but with an imported nib.

Even the best pen makers are now using parts from different sources so there are a declining number of all-this or all-that pens where all parts are made by a single vertically-integrated company in a single plant or single country.

Great question and my compliments to the person who asked it. Stimulated some great discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks DRP for the kind words to my question.

I guess I had to split this question into 2 part about the best country in the past and future.

I still think the USA is no.1 cause the impact of the USA on the pen market in the past and present (even if the USA isnt making any real "American Pens" anymore) is what makes it No.1 for me.

Maybe I am wrong but no pen that is made today will get the status the pens like the 51 or Snorkel get today.I think in 30-40 years people will still admire the Snorkels and 51 and less pens that are made today.

Respect to all

I don't really understand why there are those who state that Italian pens are 'overdone'. It's not 'overdoing' it's STYLE! Same reason why Armani, Versace and Prada are popular - but then I guess most of the old buffers here would prefer wearing funeral black every day! :D

Nope Armani, Versace and Prada are also overdone and excessively expensive just because it costs alot doesn't mean it's good. Just because it has style doesn't mean it is good ;)

Remember the tale of the emperor [armanis :lol:?] 's new clothes :ltcapd:

Kurt h

This polls been up for a while and I just threw in a vote...for Italy. For modern pens, well for one, they work and write rather well. They are hansome, taking some traditional ideas and mixing it with a little modern flair. In my small collection of modern FP's, 2 of the top 3 best handling, IMO, are from Italy. The OMAS Bologna, followed by a Aurora 88 small size, both Italian, closely followed by a Pelikan. I do have a Delta but it's not been inked yet. I will admit, some of the limited editions may be a touch overdone, but hey, it's all good. Who doesn't go overboard on a LE anyway?

Edited by greencobra

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

What follows is, of course, no detriment to other brands. I think Pelikans (ergo Germany) come in a close second. Sheaffer made and continues to make some of the best pens out there. And who can forget the 51s?

But, it was Italy for me. I think the Italian pens represent to me all the ideals of a well-crafted FP.

Take the Stipulas, for example. Amazing nib that flows well on paper. My Etruria takes no effort to write, even though it is a relatively large and hefty pen.

Innovative designs? How about the Delta line (see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...howtopic=17121)? Or the OMAS Emotica?

As for a traditional, classic design, Auroras definitely come to mind. Their 88s, Optimas and Talentums are the paradigm for all others to follow.

I don't really know much about vintage pens, but when it comes down to modern pens, I truly believe that Italy leads the pack.