Diamine Sunshine Yellow

dandelion

The biggest problem with writing a review on this ink is that it almost - despite numerous attempts - seem impossible to capture the richness of a fullbodied yellow ink with my scanner. These samples are the closest I came before I decided to give in. This is a bright and rich sunflower yellow with streaks of saffron in its shading.

I've used Rohrer & Klingner's Helianthus/Sunflower yellow (review here) as a highlighter for quite some time and as I like these rich yellows I was curious to try Diamine's Sunflower yellow. Both inks looks rather identical in the bottle and first I thought that I'd got a clone to the Helianthus, but to my joy this ink is slightly different and has its own merits. It is a deeper, richer yellow with a broader shading than the Helianthus. It shades from medium yellow to saffron orange (not as dark as CdA saffron ink - just hints of saffron in the shades) and is an ink that suits perfect for cheering up. And it is hard not to draw small suns in the margins...

Added: As mentioned below both ink looks the same in broad daylight when they have had 20 hours to adjust to the paper. Strange.

I've come to realise that I prefer these beautiful rich yellow inks as highlighter inks to any regular highlighters/highlighting inks - they are beautiful and highlights the text in a lovely way. And one can write and draw with them too. As with all the Diamine inks I've tried it has excellent flowing properties, but it is not gushing from the nib. The feathering is almost none even in a Moleskine (cahier), and it doesn't feather on either cheap copy paper or sketch paper of higher quality). It seems to flow good in and enjoy various nibs even if I almost exclusively use it in my 1.9 mm Lamy Vista. A non-problematic ink. The bleed through is almost none on cheap copy pape, sketch paper and in Moleskine cahier - all very good for someone like me who does a lot of highlighting on articles that has been printed out on...cheap copy paper.

The smearing factor is also very good considering the broad nib. Almost completely dry in 10 seconds. It doesn't show any startup problems even if a pen has been uncapped for a while (10-15 min) which is often the case when I read, write and take notes. I know that many out there consider highlighting rather childish and so did I for a long while. But, when processing massive blocks of judicial text, highlighting is a bliss. And when it is possible to do so with a beautiful ink that fulfil its task and also can be used for drawing suns and stars and flowers it is a sheer joy to lighten up...

The only "flaw" is that it is not water resistant, but I don't mind that - especially since the writing properties are so good.

The autumn is approaching fast and I think this sunshine yellow will be a very good companion during these dark months. If someone wonder if there are any big differences between R&K Helianthus or Diamine Sunshine the only "big" difference is that the Diamine is a bit richer with more and deeper shading. Both are lovely!

Edited to add Moleskine experience and to add/replace the comparison between R&K and Sunshine Yellow with a photo. I was so unsatisfied with the scan that I had to take a photograph of the comparison between the inks and then realized that both inks looks the same today. I can't see any difference in broad daylight on the very same comparison as yesterday. Interesting.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/diaminesunshineyellow003.jpg

Compared to Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus (Sunflower) Yellow

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/diaminesunshineyellow002.jpg

Scanned comparison a few moments after writing it down.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/DSC02541_0070.jpg

Photo the day after the review was written.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• JMX

• wvbeetlebug

• pen2paper

Great reveiw and of course the color is appropriate for your name... I love yellow. The best is when the sun hits your page and the yellow just glows like a river of shimmering gold ink trailing behind the nib.

Alas, in response to a great outcry, I've stopped using yellow in my snails... but it is pretty...

Not the most practical general purpose ink but it is interesting to see it actually used in words on paper and to know that such a product is available. I'd be curious how many bottles of this Diamine sells in a year. I'd bet that their Royal Blue sells 10,000 bottles to one of these.

Another wonderful review Dandelion.. so enjoy your signature flower :)

Think I prefer the R&K of your first review..

Recently purchased PR Buttercup, and like this cheery ink!

Have you tried this one?

added link

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Two-Guys-From-...634Q2ec0Q2em322

this is who I bought my ink from.. Nayy, just two ink buys that went well, does ship internationally I see..

is PR available in your country?

Edited by pen2paper

Very nice review! I could see where it would be hard not to doodle sunshines and smiley faces with this ink.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Thanks for happy response! P2P - I live in an underdeveloped country when it comes to ink and pens so your tip about that ebay store (seems to have great prices) was very good - thank you.

PT, I was very sceptical to yellow inks only 7-8 months ago, but my highlightingmania combined with tips here that pointed out that one can use a broad calligraphy nib together with a yellow (or other light) ink made me try these inks. And I am hooked. Even if it is not an all round ink I strongly recommend it as a extra curricular ink for sheer joy.

I don't use yellow ink often, but I really like this ink! I usually use it in a dip pen with a medium nib, shading towards broad. There is enough of that saffron in it so I find it quite readable.

A wonderfully glorious color!

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

• 4 months later...

Another colour I imagine you would like is Sailor Yellow-Orange. Its very similar but even more golden, bright than the sunshine yellow. Excellent review btw thanks.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

Lovely colour! Just the colour I want to paint my walls. I may have to get a bottle, I love the soft saffron-ness of it, rather than the blinding yellow.

Another colour I imagine you would like is Sailor Yellow-Orange. Its very similar but even more golden, bright than the sunshine yellow. Excellent review btw thanks.

Thanks for tip and praise!

I think I'll have to try it. The "good" thing with broad nibs (I use this as a highlighter in a 1.9 mm Lamy nib) is that one runs out of ink a little more often and can justify new buys...

What a happy and sunny review! Interesting use of this ink for highlighting. I would never have thought to buy a yellow ink.

Your reviews are always interesting and your handwriting is beautiful. Thanks for the great information.

Love your avatar.

very nice dandelion!

does any one know how does it compare to JH ambre de birmanie?

Edited by lovemy51

I bought Helianthus today because of your reviews, dandelion. Thanks for that from me (and my ink dealer!). Great highlighter ink.

Looks great in my Lamy Vista eydropper w/ 1.9 italic nib.

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

I bought Helianthus today because of your reviews, dandelion. Thanks for that from me (and my ink dealer!). Great highlighter ink.

Looks great in my Lamy Vista eydropper w/ 1.9 italic nib.

I'm happy to hear that it inspired you - and that you were not disappointed! My Vista is not converted to an eyedropper, but otherwise it is the same pen and nib as I use for my highlighting! It is so beautiful to have Helianthus in the Vista - I especially like how it looks in the feeder.

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic