Sailor Sapporo - the dachshund of the FPs?

dandelion

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/DSC02346.jpg

Introduction

This is my first Sailor and my first "real" japanese fountain pen, beside a Muji fountain pen which I bought on a sale a long time ago. I bought this pen used from a fellow FPN member. After all I've read about Japanese F/EF nibs in general and Sailor nibs in particular, I was very keen to try this nib (pen), so when I got the opportunity to buy a used one in excellent condition for a good price from a FPN member I took it.

First Impressions

"What a tiny little pen - it looks almost like a miniature pen." Even if I knew which dimensions this pen has I was taken by surprise by this diminutive little pen. The package filled its purpose - I especially like the little compartment that is hidden under the pen compartment in the box. I had no high expectations on the design. One of the reasons I didn't buy a Sailor before was the impeccable, but very traditional (boring) design. I prefer the cut-off ends on the Sapporo/ProGear before the cigar shaped 1911 etc - it gives the pen a little personality. The first aesthetical impression was thus competent, but nothing more than that.

7/10

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/sapporohatt.jpg

Design & Build

When it comes to the design the pen is able and functional, but nothing really special. I like Sailor's anchor and somewhat wish they could make something more out of it - it is a very good trademark. Designwise it is rather average - except for the nib (14 k rhodium plated) with the anchor. It is also on the large side in relation to the pen's size - which I like very much. When it comes to build there is nothing to complain of. Everything fits together well, the finish is very good. The cap screws on and off easily, but at the same time the cap doesn't easily unscrew by accident. Since it is such a small pen, it is very important that this pen posts well, which it actually does. The cap sits secure even during long and fast writing sessions - I really dislike caps that just fall off in the middle of a writing session. The pen is also very well balanced and despite its small size it doesn't have a "cheapish" lightweight feel to it. The rather "low" grade is related to the somewhat boring design.

8/10

Dimensions

Weight: 18 g

Lenght capped: 12.2 cm

Length uncapped: 11 cm

Lenght posted: 14.2 cm

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/sapporo-abstrakt.jpg

Nib and Performance

It shouldn't surprise anyone who knows anything about Sailor that this is the part that Sailor master. It is exceptionally smooth, but with a hint of feedback which prevents the pen from sliding around the paper when I write speedily. Smoothness with control - which I prefer when it comes to a notetaking pen, which this is mainly supposed to be. It starts very easily - I haven't experienced any problems - and it is surprisingly wet (in a positive way) being a EF nib. The only minus is that it might be a tad to stiff, but it is a H EF, so there is nothing to complain about, actually. The line width is deliciously thin, but not dry. It has a very precise and distinct feeling - a real quality nib.

9.25/10

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/DSC02328.jpg

Filling system

The Sapporo sports cartridge/converters, but doesn't accept international cartridges or any other cartridges/converters than Sailor's own, which I see as a drawback. I have no major problems with c/c fillers - especially not in this price range, but I don't like special solutions and having to stack various different converters and cartridges. This annoyance aside -the filling system works great - no flow problems and the Sailor cartridges hold a lot of ink and the converter holds a decent amount of ink

6.5/10

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/sapporo-nrbild-p-papper.jpg

Price/Value

I bought this used in excellent condition for a good price, and it retails for somewhere around $140-150, which is a very good price for a pen with this quality. I'd say that it is one of the absolute top picks within its price range when it comes to value for the money. It is a better pen/performer even compared to many much more expensive pens. The nib is close to perfection which is extraordinary for such a "non-expensive" pen.

10/10

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/sapporo.jpg

Conclusion

I'm very happy that I took the opportunity to buy this pen. The last few months I have begun to realise which pens I really want to keep and I wouldn't be surprised if this pen will follow me for quite a while. It is not the most beautiful pen I own, but one of the top performers. The total grade is therefore unjust with regards to performance and reliability etc, but it is the beauty part and the brand-specific c/c system that weigh down the total. I recommend this pen very much! Beauty isn't everything - every pen mustn't be a divine beauty. It is as with friends - it is nice if they look nice, but the most important thing is how they behave.

40.75/50 ~ 8.15

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/sapporo-p-papper.jpg

Edited for spelling and grammar (probably adding some new errors...) and for adding a proper nib close up.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• thehobbit

• Lennart Wennberg

• HenryLouis

Thank you Dear Dandelion for the splendid review!

Although all my regular Sailors have H-M nibs I would like to make a comment.

If I was forced to choose only one pen to keep and use, I would choose one of my Sapporos, (or Professional Gear Slim). Why? Because it's a very good and totally reliable pen that fits both in my hand and in my shirtpockets. In opposite to most other FPNers I prefer the size of a Sapporo instead of a full sized PG. I have noticed that the PG and the 1911 and the P51s tend to come out of my shirtpockets. I don't regard myself to have small hands. When it comes to surgical gloves I use the bigger sizes, but for me the Sapporo's size is perfect in my hands. With a bigger pen follows a bigger nib, and with a bigger nib I have to grip the pen higher up. (With a P51 I don't have this problem though.)

All in all, Sailor Sapporo is an excellent pen and I warmly recommend it both for the newcomer and the more experienced.

Lennart

The Sapporo is hands down my favorite pen. I use mine more than all of my other pens combined. It's my go to pen for journaling. It is great for note taking. I consider the small size perfect for me. And the EF nibs, oh! Heavenly.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I'm not a Sapporo fan but your review was well written and thoughtful. People taking the time to contribute information is a large part of what makes this forum great. The Sapporos are not bad pens -- it's just a matter of taste & preference as to whether they are one's cup of tea.

One person finds the Sapporo's writing smooth and even. Another would say it gives no feedback and lacks line variation. One person, perhaps one that frequently carries a pen in their pocket, would like the very light barrel and small size and think it a convenience. Someone who likes a pen that feels sturdy and primarily uses the pen at home or at their desk might think that writing with the Sapporo is more awkward than using a "full-sized" pen.

Proper close upp on the nib added - forgot that yesterday. I'm happy about the positive feedback - I really tried to write a balanced review. This is a good pen - real good pen - but if one is looking for a big and spectacular or fancy pen this is not it. It is small - I was rather reluctant about that at first - but since it functions so well posted it has its own niche in my rotation. Like a dachshund - it may be small with short legs, but it is no lapdog - in many aspects it has the same mentality and work capacity as a full size working dog.

Edited by dandelion

Thank you for the review, I own this pen for more than a year and now I am thinking about selling it. Why? I am not sure - I like the diameter of it's section - the full size pro gear is too thick for me. The nib is quite good - after I've found the right ink to obtain nice ink-flow (Pilot Iroshizuku). Perhaps the only "contra" that I have against this pen is really the size - I like to write unposted - particularly when I'm taking only some short notes during meetings or while answering emails and phone calls - and it is wholly unsuitable to write unposted.

Perhaps I'll regret it and buy another Saporro soon.. Well, I shall see.

However, I can only recommend this pen for another FPNs who do like not-too-thick sections and write always with posted cap.

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
Nor bid the Stars farewell.

---

photography: andrejkutarna.net

Thanks for reviewing one of my favourite pens!

I doubt I'll find a finer and smoother nib in that price range.

I have small hands so I don't mind its length (I even use a Pilot Birdie!) and its light weight is very welcome after using heavier pens.

Thanks for taking the time to review this pen. I'm surprised that you find it boring... it seems like most pens have generic designs and this one isn't one of the most common ones. What kinds of pens have designs that you find interesting?

No - I don't find the Sapporo boring - not as a writer, but I do find the Sailor design a little dull. Very correct - yes. Impeccable - yes. Conservative/Traditional - yes. As I wrote, I do believe that the cut off ends of the Sapporo adds a little bit of personality to the design. At the same time - pens mustn't always be innovative when it comes to design.

I don't demand spectacular design, but I'm very attracted to pens which have a little twist/a personal streak in their design - often a classical shape with some special detail that catches my eye. In my eyes the Aurora Talentum is such a pen. It is a modern version of a very classical design, but with a clip that adds something special. This is - of course - my own, subjective opinion. That the Sailor have a discreet - bordering to boring - design isn't necessarily a problem. It is my ordinary looking, power nibbed workhorse which I like very much.

Thanks for taking the time to review this pen. I'm surprised that you find it boring... it seems like most pens have generic designs and this one isn't one of the most common ones. What kinds of pens have designs that you find interesting?
Edited by dandelion

Given that I have seven dachshunds and no Sailor Sapporos, and given your excellent review, I may just have to look into the pen.

AND NO, I will not trade one of my great dogs for one of the pens. I am a good pack leader and have no reason to part with any of my crew...

Chloe Belle--my alpha female red

Jayke--her bondmate and my alpha male black and tan

Barney--a red and white double dapple (has both sight and hearing but no teeth)

Max--black and tan

Lucia--red mini and a former pack mate of Max

Mocha Latte--chocolate and carmel long hair mini

Sal---19.5 year old long haired sable mini..(probably the second or third oldest dog in the world...)

Whoops...bit off topic...I apologise...

Funny, but I have a regular Sapporo, a Pro Gear, and a Sapporo Mini. The Mini gets the most use. I'm not usually one to post pens, but I screw the cap on the back of that Mini and write like nobody's business. It's just such a good pen.

the black sapporos may be boring but i find the coloured ones beautiful and they are certainly not boring! Especially the new colours that came out this year.

Unfortunately I find my sapporo mini a bit heavy when posted which is why i use it unposted. But the sapporo is just right unposted, perfect length and excellent nibs.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng