Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

dandelion

This ink will absolutely be one of my regular inks - it has excellent properties, is waterproof, non-gushing, nice flow and an original colour.

Unfortunately the scans is somewhat pale (I didn't manage to adjust them) so it looks like the ink/pens skips here and there, but that is actually not the case - this ink has a very good - if somewhat dryish - flow. I prefer inks that are on the dry side - maybe my pens are wet writers - to wettish/gushing inks. The nib creep with this ink is nonexistent.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/rohrerscabiosa.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/rohrerscabiosa001.jpg

The flower Scabiosa. The ink doesn't have this bright, more lilac colour, but it is a beautiful flower.

http://www.centurycityflowermarket.com/assets/Scabiosa.jpg

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WillSW

• dandelion

• Ada

• Ed Ronax

Thanks for the excellent review. I too like this unusual colour and the iron gall properties of non-feathering and quick drying. It is the only available non-blue or non-blackish colour among iron galls.

But keep it out of sunlight, because it might fade.

Edited by saintsimon

Thanks +1. I've had this on my "maybe" list for quite some time. Thanks to your review it will get moved to the "next purchase" list. I like it!

Cedar

Thank you very much for your review!

I like the color very much - and your Scabiosa :clap1:

Regards,

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

+1 -- a good review, a good scan (on my monitor at least), and a good ink.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Thanks for the excellent review. I too like this unusual colour and the iron gall properties of non-feathering and quick drying. It is the only available non-blue or non-blackish colour among iron galls.

But keep it out of sunlight, because it might fade.

Thanks, SaintSimon - I had no idea that it is so prone to fading. When journalling that would usually not cause a problem - not that much sun exposure - but for other things it is good to know. This has quickly turned into a real fave. The colour is very good for margin notes and notes. It doesn't stand out from the paper like a red, but it is still easy to distinguish from black print, and also mute enough being a good note, journalling, letter writing ink. I'm very curious on their Salix ink which I hope to try soon. I must say that R&K shares the throne with Diamine right now.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Hi Dandelion,

Can you test your ink's light-fastness? Just hang a written sample in the sunshine for a few days and see if any changes occur. If you have a bulletproof ink for comparison, write on the test page with that , too. I'd love to hear if the original finding was reproducible.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I'm very curious on their Salix ink which I hope to try soon.

Salix is lovely; it is currently my favorite ink.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Ondina, I've just got my hands on a bottle of Scabiosa - what a super colour! I was recently made a convert to Waterman Violet - which I still like, mind you, but Scabiosa is such a classy ink - I won't have any hesitation at all in using this in the office. It writes so well in my big-nibbed pens but I can also see from the note Ondina enclosed with my ink that it writes very well indeed in a finer nibbed pen too. (of course it helps when your writing is as full of elegant swoops and tails as hers!! ;))

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Just bought a bottle after reading this review, and after a long desire. Very satisfied, especially in a slightly wetter pen. Lovely replacement for my 11:1 Violet VotexOMB.

How does this ink oxidize overtime compared to the traditional blue black iron gall inks. Does it become blacker, or a darker purple? I think part of the fun with iron gall inks is watching them oxidize so am very curious to know how Scabiosa oxidizes, thanks!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

How does this ink oxidize overtime compared to the traditional blue black iron gall inks. Does it become blacker, or a darker purple? I think part of the fun with iron gall inks is watching them oxidize so am very curious to know how Scabiosa oxidizes, thanks!

I've been waiting on doing a review (I've only had the ink a week) so I can see how it does. I'll post one soon.

Love your avatar, Will! So sweet is love...

But I had a "potentially harmful software" notice pop up when I went to your site. What gives?

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

• 3 months later...

I just received Scabiosa via the Writing Desk in the UK. To me, it looks like a less saturated version of J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune. It is also the driest ink I've got, but that's not really a problem because I have it in my wettest pens (a binderized Pelikan M200 and a vintage Conklin Endura with a wet noodle Toledo nib). Really nice color and shading with this ink. I also really like how it puts a nice edge on copperplate script.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the great review, photo, blog, and reading list.

R&K is not readily available here in the US but I like the colors. I am using the Alt Grun (sorry for no umlaut). It is a great color. the Sepia is, for my taste, one of the nicest 'sepias'. The Leipsiger Schwartz is also worth a look.

Thanks again.

• 3 years later...

Thank you for this review. I posted an informal review and quoted your pictures.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/252557-rohrer-klingner-scabiosa-informal-review/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY