Sailor Kiwaguro Nano Carbon Black

Inka

I received a small sample bottle of my first Sailor ink this past Monday, sent by a friend for me to try.

This ink, Kiwaguro Nano Carbon Black [that name alone is a mouth-full], not only writes very crisp, sharp lines but has survived all my typical wash-tests too.

Until now my only permanent inks have been Noodler's' "bulletproof" or "Eternal" inks and even they can be changed with some washes, even though they cannot be washed out.

I hit this ink with 100% pure, undiluted Clorox bleach, on a swab end soaked with it, didn't phase it in the least, notta, zip, still looks pretty much the same afterward as before.

Since this ink has been reviewed a few times already, thought I'd focus on this factor in an opening statement since I haven't seen it mentioned before.

On to the hand-written review...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Nano-Carbon-Black-Review.jpg

I would have really liked to try this ink with a extra-flexible nib & dip pen, or even a true "quill" pen to see how it behaves.

As sharp as the wider line edges are, using a Medium Cursive Italic nib, I'm wondering how it would fair when even wider lines are made.

This ink feels very smooth under my Specialty nib, even when inverted and using the XXF Account nib it's ultra-smooth to write with.

It doesn't seem to have the colored primes that my Heart OF Darkness [a brown prime] and Borealis [a green prime] black inks have, it's a true black.

For anyone looking for a black that will survive washing or getting wet once dry, or for a true black that looks rich and vintage, this may be it.

The only shortcoming I'd found, if you want to call it that, is it takes so very long to dry, @ 30 seconds is the longest drying-time of any ink I've ever used.

Once dry it is beyond waterproof, I wasn't expecting it to survive a full-blown bleach scrubbing/swabbing but it most certainly did.

For anyone using an Italic, Stub, Oblique nib, this may be the ticket, if looking for an ink that doesn't feather with line variations.

I wouldn't recommend this to a left-handed writer, so maybe that's another short-coming for those that are left-handed.

Otherwise it's a great black ink that may even work as a Calligraphy ink [although I was unable to test this], nice too if you're after that "vintage" look with the right nib.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neill78

• ofpwriter

• Inka

• Lloyd

I sold this ink because I found that this ink refused to flex in any of my flexers. It always generated railroad tracks.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Good review, like always, and now I think I don't have to get this ink. If I read between the lines correctly. ;)

Being a pure black, no additional elements just the carbon, I've been really interested in this ink. As a competitor to N's Blacks and in general it has seemed like a good one. But with that long drying time and the cost, I think it's not the best choice for a carry-around pens (?). You made a good point about the contrast with wider lines, but I don't have much use for such and think that Noodler's will do for now.

Thank you,

-O

I sold this ink because I found that this ink refused to flex in any of my flexers. It always generated railroad tracks.

That answers my question regarding flexy-nibs.

Thanks, you saved me the time and effort trying to find out for myself.

:thumbup:

Good review, like always, and now I think I don't have to get this ink. If I read between the lines correctly. ;)

Being a pure black, no additional elements just the carbon, I've been really interested in this ink. As a competitor to N's Blacks and in general it has seemed like a good one. But with that long drying time and the cost, I think it's not the best choice for a carry-around pens (?). You made a good point about the contrast with wider lines, but I don't have much use for such and think that Noodler's will do for now.

Thank you,

-O

My pleasure.

All my other black inks dry within 7 seconds max on average, some faster than others but never taking this long to dry.

I wouldn't carry it in my daily writer for just the long drying time alone.

For post cards, address labels and such, things you don't want to wax or cover to prevent water damage, even letters you may want to last for decades, this seems like a good choice for a truly permanent black.

Since it was a sample and a gift, I haven't looked into the cost, but saying it's expensive is another reason I'd have to stick with my Noodler's Eternal inks for now.

It was great fun to try out though, felt almost like I was writing with something very old and historic.

Thanks.

:thumbup:

BTW, for anyone that may be wondering, I didn't stick my nose to the bottle or my nib/feed to see what it smells like.

I've read some say it smells of campfires and burnt wood but I typically don't bother "smelling" my inks, although some day I may try.

;)

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I've never really experienced extraordinarily long drying times with Kiwaguro. It's slower than Parker Quink and Herbin, but seemed about the same as Noodlers and faster than PR for me. It really depends on what kind of paper you're using, of course. It does take a long time on Clairefontaine (as do a lot of other inks I've tried) but on regular copy paper the difference is very little. Plus it can be used on thermal receipts, which is really nice.

The fact that it's a true black is also great, because no matter what other blacks I've tried and/or seen, they all have some colour tint to them which I don't like.

It would be nice if Sailor distributed it in NA so that the prices would be more reasonable. In Japan it's only slightly more expensive than what I pay for Herbin and Noodlers here in Canada.

Neill

It would be nice if Sailor distributed it in NA so that the prices would be more reasonable. In Japan it's only slightly more expensive than what I pay for Herbin and Noodlers here in Canada.

Neill

I believe Chuck at Swisher Pens sells this ink.

Inkdesigner

Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.

--Franklin D. Roosevelt

In my experience, while Kiwaguro does dry more slowly than Aurora Black, it's not so slow as to become a problem. The only real issue I have observed is that, as it is a pigmented ink, on very slick sorts of paper it may be possible to smear the marks by vigorous rubbing even after an extended drying time.

I have not had significant dry time issues with Sailor Kiwaguro. Depends mostly on the paper.

Personally, I wouldn't bother to use it in a flex nib as there is nothing to shade. How can one shade pure black? Unless you simply want line variation. Then go ahead.

I love this ink. Due to cost, I reserve it for special projects which I think I will want to archive. It is like writing with butter -- so smooth. Even toothy nibs write better. It is simply fantastic. It is sumi ink for the fountain pen. Saves you all the grinding of the ink stick and using those brushes. :)

And when your pen is "empty", add a little water -- and keep on writing! I've gotten a lot of extra mileage out of this ink that way.

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

I too have not noticed extended drying time for this ink. I use it daily and I've never had a problem. I tend to use finer-tipped nibs so perhaps that is an explanation. I've played around with this ink in several different pens, and I've found that paired with my Charcoal Lamy Safari (EF) it is match made in heaven. Buttery smooth is a good description. Really makes a pen that I consider to be a toss-around beater something exceptional and special. No bleedthrough, no feathering, absolutely waterproof, pure carbon black. What more could you ask for? :D

I haven't tried Kiwaguro in any flexy nibbed pens, because I prefer Diamine Registrar's ink if I want a well-behaved, waterproof ink for flexy applications. (Of course, if it's dip nibs I'm using, I prefer McCafferty's).

I love that no amount of liquid will affect this ink on paper. And it doesn't change colors one bit!

The only thing to note is that it should be put in a pen that will be used regularly. Not that this is a huge problem...any ink loaded with this juice makes me look for excuses to use it! As long as you don't daftly let it dry out in a pen, maintenance couldn't be easier...one of the easiest inks to flush out of a pen, and it won't stain converters. This is a very special ink, IMO, and one that deserves a serious gander.

I have no problems with drying either, or with flex.

Obviously you don't get shading but it is so black and smooth I find that it is great with flex, as you can get super-thin strokes that are still really clear. I mean you can exaggerate the flex by really easing off on the thin bits.

There are some weird things it does. I have used it in different pens on a single sheet of paper and in one pen it dries reflective, so that when sun light was angled across the page some sections were reflective. Thinking about it it did dry slower with that pen.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a bottle last weekend, at the Miami Pen Show. It has very good writing characteristics. It's very black, very smooth in a nib, doesn't feather, doesn't bleed and it's waterproof. It might be a little slower drying than Aurora Black, but I'm left handed and haven't had a problem with smearing. My only criticism would be that it looks a little "flatter" when it dries, compared to Aurora Black. I like it much better than Noodler's Bulletproof Black. It's a little pricey at about twice the price of other inks, but a bottle of ink can last a long time. I need more time with it before I decide whether it will become my primary black ink or not, but I give it a big thumbs up.

It's interesting to hear about the drying times. I find that it dries more quickly that most other inks if I'm using standard office paper. It also is usable and dries quickly on thermal paper -- which most inks won't write on at all.

The only time I had issues with slow drying was on Clairefontaine, and honestly all my other inks took as long, if not longer to dry on that paper (and it is great paper!).

For me having to wait a few extra seconds to dry is far outweighed by the advantages of this ink: permanency, water resistance, and the fact that it writes on just about everything a ball pen does.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used this ink for about 5 months now, in one pen, Sailor PG, with no adverse affects, Never had a problem with slow drying time, but then what is a few seconds when writting a letter, point taken if it is a shopping list and you are on a dash!

I have found that it does not like some papersresting on the surface, The plus's are far more than the minus though, great ink, and like said a bottle of ink lasts a long time so the extra cost is relitive I supose.

Bob

Living in an age gone bye

This ink is my only black ink today (substitutes Pelikan black and Noodler's Heart of Darkness). It works perfectly and it is very smooth in an EF nib. The only negative point I see is the form of the bottle. Sailor should redesign the bottle to be higher. Perhaps they will do that now for their new piston filler pens. The ink was a little pricely, I got it from Japan from Engeika, but that was for me ok. I paid the same for HoD that didn't work for me at all. Only Pelikan black is much cheaper, I'm in Germany, but I like Sailor's Kiwaguro more. I never had problems with the drying time.

I have heard that this ink does not bleed through very thin paper, like that used in Scriptures. I plan on picking some up for that reason alone.

Edited by bardharlock

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

• 1 month later...

I can't add much more to this than the experts above me have said, but I will say that I WANT and DESIRE to use this ink in my Sailor pens daily and I get upset if I don't have time to write even some circles or doodles with this lovely ink. When I lived in Japan, I loved this ink and it was pretty reasonable in cost, but now that I am back in the US, I am willing to pay the premium at JetPens for this elixir of the Writing Gods.