Small PR Black Cherry Review

Dudley

Not much of a review, just wanted to play with the new italics nib i got. Just want to show how Black Cherry looks like, since there was a post about wanting a reddish black ink. This may or may not fit the bill. **note, with fine nib i ment to say it looks alot lighter, not darker.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/Dudleykun/review1.jpg

and of course a close up, that shows color and shading better. will hopefullly do a followup review to give more insight like water test and all, but i can tell you one more thing so far, i coughed on it a few minutes ago and the some letters look like they got incinerated and turned into hazy ghosts....

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/Dudleykun/BCmacro.jpg

Edited by Dudley

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dudley

• RLTodd

• sonia_simone

• PAKMAN

Nice shading! That color looks and sounds more delicious every time I see it written on paper and read reviews of it. I've tried the Lamy Safari italic pens in a store, and I agree that they are delightfully smooth. Nice handwriting, too B) .

OOO you know what would be killer?? if it also smelled like black cherries!!

....then i would be so tempted to lick the page, warning labels anyone?

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

That is pretty.

Is this an unstable ink? My one bottle did not look anything like that. I had to put a tablespoon of Quink black in mine to get a usable grey with a tint of redish tan.

YMMV

Unstable in what way? like fading?? I had this ink for about three to four months now. I've also taken notes with it, and the earliest date for that was Feb. 14th of this year. So far it still looks just like the day i wrote it.

I think depending on the pen you're using, different characteristics are shown. I can tell you that using a dry fine nib, it doesnt look like this at all. maybe i can show you later, but the color isnt as deep and looks consistently like the lighest portions of the letters you see in the macro

Edited by Dudley

Here shows the ink with a dry fine lined lamy steel nib, as well as how crappy my handwriting was when i first gotten into fountain pens. Please note that the picture is a little off, here it shows it just slightly lighter than in real person. Maybe cause its such a large macro, and the hieght of my writing back then is about 3/4 the size i used in most of my reviews.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/Dudleykun/BC_dryline.jpg

Edited by Dudley

No, the bottle I got was so light, and this was after shaking it up vigorusly, that it looked like the fourth or fifth flush through the pen. No color. Even with the tablespoon of Quink black it is just a gray.

YMMV

Oh wow really?? that is strange. I remember hearing a problem before about PR ink in older threads, yours might be one of those batches then. i;ll see if i can find the thread.

Oh wow really?? that is strange. I remember hearing a problem before about PR ink in older threads, yours might be one of those batches then. i;ll see if i can find the thread.

My thought is that I got a bottle from the back of the shelf that came from a bad batch of time past.

On the other hand, it could have been a lucky package that USPS tested one of their heavy duty X-Ray machines on. :blink:

YMMV

o (Potty Mouth), i just noticed that i wrote with the fine nib, i said "it's alot darker", i meant to say it was alot lighter"

Nice review! Really like the colour and shading of the ink...

Maybe I'll buy some...

Maybe this'll bankrupt me one day... ;)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

I love this color but it smears like crazy for me. Just never really dries.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Really?? it dries pretty fast for me, even on Clairfontaine. On regular printerpaper it gets soaked in like right away, but doesnt bleed as much as other inks.

Very nice review, and your handwriting is quite nice. Shame about PR's slow drying time for lefties like me. I just had to try some, so I got a bottle of Tanzanite, which I'll soon be parting with, as it's just TOO slow to dry. Hmm, seems I heard that before. :doh:

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Yes, it's very strange--and I live in a quite dry climate. (Not sure if that would make any difference, but I throw it out there.) All of the intensely-pigmented PR inks I tried did the same. Smudged and smeared like crazy, even days after I'd written. Black CHerry was the worst for me, tho.

I was very cheerful when I found Noodler's.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

The non drying-ness is quite strange cause i havent experienced it myself. could it be differences in batch composition you think??

And For KCat, next time i'll write a review for large black cherries. Let's see... that will be in a few months when cherry season comes around =P

Not sure--I have a friend in New York (I'm in Colo) who had the same problem with some of the PRs. These things always seem to be some weird combo of paper + nib + pleasure/displeasure of the ink gods.

--The Tick