The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Custom Orange Bands From Newton Pens

newton bands rings

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:07

I've been using this pen pretty continuously for several months now, and it deserves a review!  Without Further ado...my custom pen from Newton Pens:

fpn_1383536275__newton1_800x600.jpg

Appearance:

Shawn Newton made this pen for me, based on a (rough, rough) sketch I sent to him.  I was looking for a pen that was shaped somewhat like a German pen from the 30s with a domed top, but with some aesthetic considerations from Japanese pens, thrown in with some ideas from American vintage pens - specifically, the cool bands on some of the Conklin Enduras.  He hit a home run!  

fpn_1383537054__newton2_800x650.jpg

Construction:

The body is Cumberland ebonite, with orange ebonite bands, and looks shiny and fantastic.  I believe he joined the ebonite pieces by threading them and gluing them together, but the joints are seamless.

Weight and Dimensions

The pen is roughly the same length as a Duofold Centennial, but is much thicker (so roughly 5.3 inches in length or so, probably .6 inches in diameter.  The ebonite construction means the pen feels very light, but I would say it weighs more than my Nakayas - Shawn left the ebonite very thick.

Nib and Performance.

I went with a steel nib - Fine.  The nib has the Newton logo on it.  I am not sure if Shawn did a grind on this nib, or if he tuned it, but it's exactly how I like my nibs to be!  It's finer than most western/European fines I have used, and has the perfect amount of feedback. If I ever did want to change nibs, I believe it's a JoWo nib unit, which should be easy to screw out and swap in another #6 nib. 

fpn_1383537697__newton4_686x800.jpg

Filling System and Maintenance

It uses international standard cartridges or converters.  I still love cool filling systems (fountainbel's bulkfiller is a personal favorite, and I need to review mine soon!), but I think C/C pens have a lot of advantages, especially if you want to switch inks often. There are enough threads on the section to use it as an eyedropper-filled pen, but I didn't think to ask Shawn if the threaded orange ebonite sections might cause leakage.  

Cost and Value

I traded two Kindle Fires for this pen, and it is more than worth that.  Shawn was great to work with and I think I may ask for another one of these, only with different materials... :)

Conclusion

This pen makes me smile every time I use it.  It has also gotten more comments from people (pen people and non-pen people) than most of my other pens; every time I take it to my local pen shop (Dromgoole's in Houston, TX), it gets plenty of appreciative comments. Shawn was very accomodating and explained a lot of his process, and he does lots of cool stuff for kids in his school (he teaches high school art).  If you have a chance to get a Newton, I say go for it!

fpn_1383537569__newton5_800x485.jpg

Oh, and here's a writing sample - apologies for the poor lighting and overall junkiness!

fpn_1383538012__newton6_760x800.jpg

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:43

This pen looks awesome, well done!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:26

Great looking pen! :)

#4 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:31

It looks like his logo has changed.I like it. the pen is a really nice match of materials, colors and aesthetics.

#5 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:01

Thanks everyone!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 17:58

Thanks for the review!  These photos are gorgeous!

If you want to use it as an eyedropper, you should be okay.  All the pieces that are threaded are epoxy welded together, so  shouldn't leak at all.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#7 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 18:09

Shawn, thanks!  I should have known to ask earlier. :)

#8 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 18:26

I think this is one of the nicest builds I have seen from Shawn.  It is shaped beautifully, proportioned perfectly, and the colour combo is excellent.  A truly beautiful pen -  it is no wonder it attracts attention!

Ken

#9 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:13

Ken, I would agree! I'm pretty biased in favor of the pen though ;)

#10 Lince

Lince

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:38

Beautiful!

#11 VillersCotterets

VillersCotterets

18782 (いやなやつ)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:00

Wow ! one of the greatest design I've seen for awhile. Perfect proportions and wonderful colour combination.

There is something Japanese about this pen, yet very Western. Love it.

#12 bobaroo

bobaroo

My dog has a sock on its nose, and is very happy about it.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:15

That is the perfect pen! Very jealous.

#13 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:35

Lince, VillersCotterets, and bobaroo, thanks!  VC - I totally agree; Shawn really was able to capture exactly what I had in the sketch and add his own personal touch.

#14 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:42

:D

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#15 BeWitz

BeWitz

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:11

very nice

#16 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:48

Nice review and beautiful pen.

#17 Andyroo

Andyroo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2013 - 19:08

Really superb.

You must be pleased as punch.

#18 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 826 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:01

Fantastic, thanks for sharing and enjoy!

#19 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:28

Envious.

#20 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 16:10

Gosh!  Thanks everyone! Heraclitus682, sounds like you need to think about your next Newton ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newton, bands, rings

Sponsored Content

|