A Chuckle A Day

Left FPN

How do you know it isn't a Waterman? It might be a prototype from the 1870s or something. Really valuable, and certainly collectible.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• pajaro

• Sinistral1

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know it isn't a Waterman? It might be a prototype from the 1870s or something. Really valuable, and certainly collectible.

:lticaptd: :lticaptd:

If it had been a Waterman, then I'm sure Force could soon polish it up! :)

There's an engineering phrase, you can't polish a turd....I think that fits here.

Okay, I'm just about to burst with excitement over my eBay find today, but instead of it being a turd, it's a jewel. I don't know how to link the item, but it's #171314561861. Here's the deal. A couple of months ago I bought a Waterman Gentleman blue laquer fountain pen from a man in Amman, Jordan that I knew was different because it just has so many little oddities compared to my other Gents. The main thing is the cap top being solid gold (plate) with an etched Jordanian crown on it. Now, this comes up on eBay, a pen and pencil set and I'm doing the happy dance. I'm already spending the money I could make with my new pen - a new car, 'round the world cruise, etc. What do you think?

Edited to add: The crown on my pen is etched, not just painted on top of the gold. Looks like I'll be in a suite on that cruise!

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Okay, I'm just about to burst with excitement over my eBay find today, but instead of it being a turd, it's a jewel. I don't know how to link the item, but it's #171314561861. Here's the deal. A couple of months ago I bought a Waterman Gentleman blue laquer fountain pen from a man in Amman, Jordan that I knew was different because it just has so many little oddities compared to my other Gents. The main thing is the cap top being solid gold (plate) with an etched Jordanian crown on it. Now, this comes up on eBay, a pen and pencil set and I'm doing the happy dance. I'm already spending the money I could make with my new pen - a new car, 'round the world cruise, etc. What do you think?

Edited to add: The crown on my pen is etched, not just painted on top of the gold. Looks like I'll be in a suite on that cruise!

I don't need to look cos I have seen it and it is one that can be polished....sorry had to be said.

So, I agree that what they want seems a tad high for a Gentleman pen and pencil set, even if it is solid silver. That aside, it is confirmation for me that my pen was a gift from the Jordanian royal family or at least someone in the royal family or high up in their government. I will use this information to redeem my reputation in my local pen club. Shortly upon joining, I made up a story about my little no-name German piston filler belonging to one of Rommel's soldiers and used during his North African campaign in WWII. My recent "Royal" pen was poo-pooed by a few members, because it did not come with any documentation. It is actually in near mint condition and writes like a dream, so I guess I'll have to cancel that cruise.

That's kind of like the time the guy bought the Dag Hammerskjold, however you spell the name, commemorative stamp from the USPS post office and it had a color printed upside down. With visions of the inverted Curtiss Jenny rarity in his mind he started making plans to send the kids to college, etc., but blabbed about it. Then USPS printed so many inverts that the regular stamp is worth about the same.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

We had a book when I was growing up with a bunch of Aesop's Fables in it. One was "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". In my case, it was "The Gal Who Made Up A Pen Story". I thought my story was clever, and the scenario a distinct possibility. How was I to know that only months later I would actually get my hands on a pen from Jordan with a crown etched on it's cap?

It's a pretty interesting story.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Are you saying that not only is the set overpriced, but that it's either phoney or not up to par regardless of the "Royal" connection? I don't understand and need enlightenment, please! I'm just happy that the pen I have really did come from somewhere in King Hussein's family or government as a gift, that it is engraved with the Jordanian crown, and that it works well and looks good. And, the price I paid for it is under when a "normal" Waterman Gentleman usually goes for.

love this..... :lticaptd:

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 4 weeks later...

Hemisphere? Philisphere?

Don't mind me, I know very little about these pens, demonstrated every time I write something..

What I've noticed is all the silver Waterman Gentleman fountain pens that are up for hundreds of dollars and have been listed for months now. There's also a Gentleman 44 listed for $900 that was just dropped to $720. I got mine last month for $65, same pen. Who ever buys these expensive pens?

My rant is now finished.

No one, that is why they are still listed....

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Chinese Duke is now making cheap copies of cheap Pilots? I thought cheap copies of cheap Lamys was enough. Have the Chinese companies completely run out of pen models to copy?

But no Phileas or Carene copies? I find it an outrage that the Pilot 78G gets copied before the Phileas or Carene.

Sorry it's not Waterman, but I do find it funny.

Wonderful! A cheap imitation of the Pilot 78G. That is pretty funny. They might have imitated the Edson or Laureat also, but they must have been warned off. I could imagine a knock-off Carene, with medium nib only. Most likely in colors not found in the Carene line up. Not even in Rustoleum.