The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hakase Sandalwood 52230

hakase japanese pens wooden pens

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:59

Last year July, I received an email from Hakase that sandalwood pen model 52230 had been shipped. The significant day is 14 July 2012. As you know, Hakase pens are not to be bought from stock, but made to order. I ordered this particular pen on 14 October 2010. Almost a two year wait before the pen was delivered, so perhaps it is not too bad to have one year after delivery a review.... It is one of the 50 pieces produced.

Mysore Sandalwood

I go regularly to Chennai, so I am familiar with sandalwood. Sandalwood is rather expensive wood, and harvesting sandalwood is heavily regulated by the Indian government. Because this pen has two elements that are important to me: India, and the quality of Japanese pens, I decided to order this pen. This pen is made from a log of sandalwood of 1965. By the way, should anyone be able to visit Mysore (and the palace of Maharadja), I would recommend doing so. To the south of Mysore, are the former hunting lodges of the Maharadja, currently available for tourists. This is one of the few places where one can see a tiger.

kabini-tiger.jpg

Anyway, the material is sandalwood, a beautiful, light wood.

The pen

The pen was delivered in a box, well wrapped, with a leaflet describing the wood. All my (four by now) Hakase pens have been sent in a little wooden box, wrapped in soft paper. All pens come with a Pilot con 70 convertor, a pleasure to use. 

hakase52230-in-box-at1000.jpg

The description has information about the material of the pen. In the box was also a small pouch with sandalwood residu.

hakase52230-description-at1000.jpg

One option with Hakase pens is to have the date engraved in the barrel of the pen. I have done so, the first pen had a date in number of years of the reigning Japanese emperor, the last three have the date as in the 'usual' calendar. The date on this pen is 20 July 2012. That is later than the actual date of delivery. It is my impression that Hakase plans production by month, and this pen is from July 2012, so the final date is the 20th. Production dates on other pens are 20 June 2011 (model 01014) and 20 April 2009 (model 29018).

hakase52230-date-at1000.jpg

The pen has a regular torpedo shape, with a clip and ring at the end of the cap. The gold furniture is 14k gold, not gold plated, and is hammered gold.

hakase52230-closed-at1000.jpg

Opening the pen, one sees a darker section, this is ebonite. The nib is the size of a Pilot #15 nib (as found in Pilot Cutsom 823 and Pilot Custom 845). The pen is ground by Hakase, this one has a fine nib, and it writes as in a dream. The nib has no flex, so it has a consistent line. 

hakase52230-section-at1000.jpg

Evaluation

I have had this pen for a year by now. Do I like this pen? Let me say that this pen has gone with me every day for one year, it has been inked all the time. Mostly with Sailor Grenade or Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao. It lies a wet line and is so comfortable to use. The pen does not look very pretentious, but sandalwood and 14k golden trim is not standard. I love this pen, a highlight in my collection. Ruud

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 18:06

Wow, Ruud, wonderful.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 18:11

Very handsome pen, Ruud....thanks for sharing it with us!

Love the elegant simplicity about it.....

And like the simple, not oversized box too....

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Current Pens: Cross, Delta, Montegrappa, Parker, Wahl-Eversharp

#4 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 18:26

Beautiful pen! Thanks for sharing. The enclosed description says that the sandalwood used for the pen has a urushi finish - how do Hakase's urushi finishes compare to that of, let's say, Namiki?

Edited by shuuemura, 21 July 2013 - 18:26.

#5 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:14

Beautiful pen! Thanks for sharing. The enclosed description says that the sandalwood used for the pen has a urushi finish - how do Hakase's urushi finishes compare to that of, let's say, Namiki?

The surface is covered with translucent urushi, and very smooth. The base is different, and in fact, this covering should show the wood. It is high quality lacquer. Ruud

#6 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,345 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:29

Ruud, I am simply speechless...

Too many pens; too little writing.

#7 dot

dot

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Location:American based in the Philippines; current location changeable
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 20:29

Stunning. I'm so glad you shared its beauty with us.

#8 Daisy25

Daisy25

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:09

Such a beautiful pen!

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

#9 Simius

Simius

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:24

Wow, just wow! Mongrelnomad and you have created a tipping point beyond which the weak of will (such as me) have no choice but to give in to the lure of Hakase pens!

Quick question. This Hakase page in google translate (http://fp-hakase.com...ducts/rosewood/) seems to treat rosewood and sandalwood interchangeably (List of products of this red sandalwood rose wood). Is it the case that these pens can be ordered in  rosewood or sandalwood? Or has google translate messed things up? Thanks...

Edited by Simius, 21 July 2013 - 21:26.

#10 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:33

Wow, just wow! Mongrelnomad and you have created a tipping point beyond which the weak of will (such as me) have no choice but to give in to the lure of Hakase pens!

Quick question. This Hakase page in google translate (http://fp-hakase.com...ducts/rosewood/) seems to treat rosewood and sandalwood interchangeably (List of products of this red sandalwood rose wood). Is it the case that these pens can be ordered in  rosewood or sandalwood? Or has google translate messed things up? Thanks...

The pens on that page look rosewood to me: sandalwood is much lighter. According to mr Yamamoto, sandalwood is sold out. a lighter alternative to rosewood is available: queens bar wood. This is lacquered with translucent urushi as well. Ruud

#11 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,627 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:27

very nice  :thumbup: .  congrats on your new hakase.

-rudy-

#12 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:34

Beautiful pen and lovely review

#13 Korybas

Korybas

The pen is the tongue of the mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:21

This is a very beautiful pen, indeed! :thumbup:  I liked your review very much for its objectivity.

I wanted to ask you about the hue of the sandalwood: in your photo where you show the production date the sandalwood appears  much lighter than in the next photograph, in which the sandalwood appears much darker. Is it the light? Which photo depicts the color of the sandalwood in daylight conditions?

Posted Image

#14 whitedot

whitedot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 13:20

Beautiful. Just beautiful. 

#15 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 15:46

This is a very beautiful pen, indeed! :thumbup:  I liked your review very much for its objectivity.
I wanted to ask you about the hue of the sandalwood: in your photo where you show the production date the sandalwood appears  much lighter than in the next photograph, in which the sandalwood appears much darker. Is it the light? Which photo depicts the color of the sandalwood in daylight conditions?

I am sorry about the quality of the pictures. The picture with the date depicts the color in daylight best. The other ons were taken in a light tent. Ruud

#16 Mesu

Mesu

Searching for the perfect blue ink..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 16:00

Elegant pen..

Does it still have the aroma of Sandalwood?

#17 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 11,712 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 16:23

Gee, how did I miss this thread?

Beautiful pen -- the sandalwood is gorgeous.

Oh, Hakase... still dreaming...

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#18 whitedot

whitedot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 16:29

Elegant pen..

A question very much on my mind too.

#19 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 16:49

Elegant pen..

A question very much on my mind too.

the answer is here:

http://www.fountainp...kase/?p=2639003

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#20 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,401 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:57

Ruud, i totally missed your review. Elegant, subtle and beautiful!! Congratulation and enjoy it in good health. 

Greetings from Shanghai, 

NIkolaos

Edited by Nikolaos, 20 September 2013 - 10:58.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hakase, japanese pens, wooden pens

Sponsored Content

|