Has Anyone Heard Of Bo Shi?

wolffullmoon

I got a WW2 vintage pen (I was told) from China. It is a double jewel button filler with characters and Bo Shi in Roman letters on it. Fine point and a very nice writer. Nib is marked 14K and HOOWER.

Any information on this one?

Pictures if anyone is curious. Better pictures if requested--none taken as yet. Just shot these on iPhone.

Edited by wolffullmoon

If corporations are people, they qualify for handicapped spaces

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr.Grace

• wolffullmoon

• JLS1

• switchitt

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks interesting. I've never heard of bo shi before, but the chinese characters means professor. It could be a brand or model name and from the rest of the characters at the bottom indicates that the FP is made by a stationary store in Shanghai.

You might want to post this to the newly created China pens forum as well...you might get more specialized help there.

bo shi (博士)means doctor (Ph.D.). (Professor is 教授 (jiao shou).)

Also, the writing on the bottom says, "Shanghai Venus Pen mfg." or something like that.

Edited by Dr.Grace

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Dr Grace,

The name "Bo Shi" - i.e. "Doctor", is very odd for a product by Shanghai Golden Star (not "Venus").

"Doctor" was the name used by Guoyi Fountain Pens, the first pen manufacturer in China, established in Shanghai in 1926. Later one of the directors bought out the firm and it became known as Doctor; the firm has since been acquired by Hero and the brand name Doctor is still used for some models.

Golden Star was a totally unrelated firm, established in 1932 by three Korean brothers; the name of the firm has been rendered as Kin Sin, or more recently Jinxing; it was a significant competitor against Guoyi so it is very strange that it carried a Guoyi trademark.

I do not know the actual size of this pen, but I would guess it could be a forerunner of the "Big Golden Star" Type 28, made in black ebonite and with button fill. To my mind it is a very desirable pen!

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Well, 金星 has two English translations: Venus and gold star.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Has Anyone Heard Of Bo Shi?

No, but the sound of it suggests that it might be a good substitute for a common expletive/profanity...

Imagine that the next time you just shout "Gold Star" instead. Nice!

:P

(sorry for having no helpful information in this case, anyway: I'm always amazed at the resourcefulness and knowledge of this forum!)

Greetings,

Michael