Show Us Your Oblique Penholders!

caliken

I can understand your frustration - it has happened to me too :-)

Many thanks for the brass sheets - it is very considerate and kind of you to remember. I will be looking forward to receiving them. I still have the remainder of the wood you sent - I think it wants to be a letter opener.

Salman

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusinkMan

• hzsimms

• smk

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No problem on the brass...I know that you will put them to good use! As for the wood...geez I have so much of that stuff planed down and ready for use. Just needs to be straight-line ripped and/or edge jointed. It's too bad you don't live closer...I'd hook you up with plenty of that stuff.

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

Couple o' new ones I finished today.

Tulipwood, Cocobolo Rosewood, and Ebony...about 9 1/4 inches (23 cm) long.

fpn_1374905720__img_3378_2.jpg

fpn_1374905762__img_3379_2.jpg

And this Sandalwood, Satinwood, and Ebony longtail...about 11 inches (27.5 cm) long

fpn_1374905869__img_3391_2.jpg

fpn_1374905958__img_3384_2.jpg

And almost through with this one...need to slot it and install the flange. I love this one...I took some cues from Mickey's authentic Magnusson.

I should wait until it's all done before showing you guys, but I'm so excited about it I'll have to give a sneak-peek.

Made of Gabon Ebony throughout, except for the simulated ivory rings and the padauk red ring.

I don't think I'm going to put this one up for sale. It's so amazing (at least to me it is).

It's a good-sized longtail...comes in at 10 1/8 inches (25.5 cm) in length.

The photos do not do it justice, it looks much better in person...cold, shiny, black.

fpn_1374889405__img_3394_2.jpg

Edited by MusinkMan

Thought I'd post my latest effort and see what you all thought. This is obviously directly from the Musinkman School of Pensmithing, correspondence course!

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/hzsimms/TulipWoodHandle_zps88e19298.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the foot. It's made of Bubinga and the handle is Cocobolo. They look way too much alike to me in the finished product. What do you think? Somehow they looked different on the workbench prior to assembly.

I'm not sure what's up with that flange. I think I may have had temporary insanity. I've ordered some of that phosphorous bronze Mickey but I still haven't quite gotten your flange method down. I always wind up firing up the Dremel and cutoff wheel and saying a lot of swear words.

Howard

Thought I'd post my latest effort and see what you all thought. This is obviously directly from the Musinkman School of Pensmithing, correspondence course!

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/hzsimms/TulipWoodHandle_zps88e19298.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the foot. It's made of Bubinga and the handle is Cocobolo. They look way too much alike to me in the finished product. What do you think? Somehow they looked different on the workbench prior to assembly.

I'm not sure what's up with that flange. I think I may have had temporary insanity. I've ordered some of that phosphorous bronze Mickey but I still haven't quite gotten your flange method down. I always wind up firing up the Dremel and cutoff wheel and saying a lot of swear words.

Howard

Since you've already trimmed the flange in this pen, it's a little hard to tell where things are going off the track. From what I can see, the flange look a bit wider than it needs to be and set too far back. The front of the flange should (probably) extend just forward of the foot.

Start with a right angle blank, rather than the angled blank (rhombus) in my original directions. How much angle to put in the blank depends on the shape and width of the foot, so my directions may need to be adjusted for your pens.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Oh yeah baby! Nice work, Howard. You used tulipwood for the grip? Or is it flame box elder?

Thanks, I appreciate it! It's tulip wood. Neat stuff, had never used any before. Got one dowel of it so figured why not.

Since you've already trimmed the flange in this pen, it's a little hard to tell where things are going off the track. From what I can see, the flange look a bit wider than it needs to be and set too far back. The front of the flange should (probably) extend just forward of the foot.

Start with a right angle blank, rather than the angled blank (rhombus) in my original directions. How much angle to put in the blank depends on the shape and width of the foot, so my directions may need to be adjusted for your pens.

Thanks Mickey, I'll absolutely give it a try. At some point the light bulb's gotta go on!

Edited by hzsimms

And almost through with this one...need to slot it and install the flange. I love this one...I took some cues from Mickey's authentic Magnusson.

I should wait until it's all done before showing you guys, but I'm so excited about it I'll have to give a sneak-peek.

Made of Gabon Ebony throughout, except for the simulated ivory rings and the padauk red ring.

I don't think I'm going to put this one up for sale. It's so amazing (at least to me it is).

The photos do not do it justice, it looks much better in person...cold, shiny, black.

If you don't want to sell it, I'd be happy to store it for you!

If you don't want to sell it, I'd be happy to store it for you

LOL! Your wife would beat you senseless, Howard. You are like me...you have too many of these things laying around the house without taking on more. hahaha.

Tulipwood...love it. You see that one of mine has a tulipwood handle also. That's the first time I've ever used the stuff. It's kind of hard to find, actually. I think it looks great!

LOL! Your wife would beat you senseless, Howard. You are like me...you have too many of these things laying around the house without taking on more. hahaha.

Well I don't have a wife that would beat me senseless... :D

I'd rather you get the well deserved revenue from it that it deserves, though. Or at least the personal enjoyment of using it. It's a work of art, that one. I think it's one of my favorites that you've made so far, too!

ha...yeah, mine won't beat me senseless...but she will be very vocal about her discontent.

And when mama ain't happy....there ain't nobody happy!

Maybe you could appease her with a gift. Perhaps, say, a certain slab of wood fitted with brass that's useful for writing...? :huh:

That's fine though, then I could live on the street and be like one of those guitar playing guys and write Copperplate for tips! People could put money in my old McAffrey's jars!

Look what showed up in my mailbox, yesterday...

fpn_1375209836__img_2111.jpg

Another beauty from Musinkman.

fpn_1375210564__img_2113.jpg

This one is (from left to right) Gabon ebony, spalted mango, and bloodwood; the accent rings are simulated ivory.

It's 9 inches from foot to tail and has slightly great girth than most commercial holders. The waist is approximately 15/32" (12mm) versus the more usual 3/8-7/16" (9.75 - 11mm), which swells to 21/32" (16.7mm) at the second trim ring. By comparison, the larger Century holder maxes out at 5/8" (15.875mm). Unlike the 5/8" Century, the distances from foot to the waist and to the largest diameter have been stretched as well. This is a holder for larger than average hands, not for people who simply like a larger grip section.

The photos don't do justice to the fit and finish. This is fairly easily the best constructed holder in my little collection, which includes a Magnusson (the proportions of which were used to generate the contours for this holder). The design is roughly half mine, half Musinkman's, but the execution and look (he selected the woods) are all to his credit. Anyone with large hands (and long fingers) might want to ask Brian about this design, which he is free to use.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Thanks for showing it off, Rick. I'm so glad that you like it! Isn't that Bloodwood (the handle part) absolutely beautiful stuff?

The Spalted Mango I had to order from Hawaii. I selected it because I really liked the way the black spalting complemented the ebony foot.

Once again, thank you and I'm happy that you like it!

Whoa! That took my breath away. That is one awesome staff.

On second thought...

Naah, go ahead and unload it and try again with another better piece of wood.

Right.

If you say GULLIBLE real slowly,

it sounds like ORANGES.

Wow...

I have been a drooling lurker of this thread since its inception. I never chimed in much as my current budget won't allow me to partake hah.

But this... just wow! I couldn't help but share my lust! Well done sir! I look forward to the day when I can pen something with one of your Magnusson staffs.

Mike

a.k.a MrMGWard

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/PoppinSwav/FPNsig.jpghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png