Cs Belliver Issue

arran

Hi folks ,

I bought a new belliver fountainpen C/C for my wife a few weeks ago.

Just a fine writer.It was initially filled with Diamine Majestic blue. What a fine color!

She uses the pen at her work and writes discontinuously. When the pen is not in use , the pen is capped.

Now it seems that , while the converter is still 2/3 filled , the pen just stops writing.

Just unscrewing the CC , all works again. A flush of water on the nib works also.

Should i bring the pen back to the shop ?

After the diamine , I used the Iro Kon peki , with same issues.

Thanks for help

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mary Burke

• RMN

• arran

• SignalboxCat

I've had the same problem with several of my modern CSs including a Belliver. In a nutshell, this is not right and you should return the pen to the dealer. I've found that the inflow problems I've experienced are due to a misaligned nib/feed or a clogged or improperly made feed and should be repaired by a professional.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Nothing wrong with the pen.

It is the converter that is at fault. There are trapped airbubbles in the converter. Try the pen with a regular cartridge and probably your problems will be gone.

There are several threads heere covering this issue.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Nothing wrong with the pen.

It is the converter that is at fault. There are trapped airbubbles in the converter. Try the pen with a regular cartridge and probably your problems will be gone.

There are several threads heere covering this issue.

D.ick

Not in my experience.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Could it be due to the Diamine Majestic Blue used to initially fill the pen?

That ink is highly saturated and if left unused in the pen, or not washed out properly when changing inks, what happened in this case is not unexpected.

Shahrin B)

How long has the ink been in the pen without refilling or flushing? Ink can evaporate off the nib, and depending on both how well the cap seals against the barrel/section and the properties of the ink, in my experience it can take anywhere from a day to many months for the ink to dry out enough to cause flow problems.

Majestic Blue has highly concentrated dyes and thus I would expect it to be more susceptible to this than alot of other inks. The Belliver has a screw cap so it should have a good seal; however, it doesn't have washers or other features that would allow you leave it inked almost indefinetly.

If the ink has been in the pen for several days or weeks, I'd guess the problem is due to the ink drying up as water evaportes off the nib and escapes the cap.

The belliver seems to write well , when i hold the nib under streaming tap water.

After that , I could write very fast a full A4 page without any problems with the Kon Peki ink.

After this , I'd like to cheque the Diamine again , in order to compare the behaviour of the 2 inks.

The belliver seems to write well , when i hold the nib under streaming tap water.

After that , I could write very fast a full A4 page without any problems with the Kon Peki ink.

After this , I'd like to cheque the Diamine again , in order to compare the behaviour of the 2 inks.

This doesn't sound right; has to be more than the ink. As I said before, the inflow problems I've had with my modern CSs were all attributable to improper nib alignment, clogged feeds or improperly made feeds.

Bryan

This doesn't sound right; has to be more than the ink. As I said before, the inflow problems I've had with my modern CSs were all attributable to improper nib alignment, clogged feeds or improperly made feeds.

I filled the pen today with diamine umber green.

After writing over several intervals , the pen stopped writing with converter still 3/4 filled.

I'll take contact with Conway themselves and keep you all updated.

I filled the pen today with diamine umber green.

After writing over several intervals , the pen stopped writing with converter still 3/4 filled.

I'll take contact with Conway themselves and keep you all updated.

That's the best course of action, as there's no need for you to mess with it any longer. With any luck they should be able to figure it out. Let us know what happens and what the problem is, assuming CS tells you.

Edited by Rufus

Bryan

I've mentioned before about the problems I've had with these nibs - on Bellivers and others - together with the converters. In my experience, the Faber Castell converters are made from a material that resembles cartridges and seems to reduce the surface tension when inked. I have a few of those for instances when a particular ink doesn't work well in the usual CS-supplied Schmidt ones.

Also, I've taken the nibs and feeds apart without any trouble at all and easily increased the flow just a little, by gently scoring the groove along the top of the feed with the back of a scalpel blade: not the cutting edge itself. This 'trick' was passed onto me by Christine Care, the Manager at the factory. It saves a lot of messing about, sending pens to and fro and is quite possibly exactly what might be done by people there.

I stress, possibly!

Three of my four new CS nibs have been dealt with in this way and now give really excellent writing experiences. The fourth was perfect right out of the box.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Also, I've taken the nibs and feeds apart without any trouble at all and easily increased the flow just a little, by gently scoring the groove along the top of the feed with the back of a scalpel blade: not the cutting edge itself. This 'trick' was passed onto me by Christine Care, the Manager at the factory. It saves a lot of messing about, sending pens to and fro and is quite possibly exactly what might be done by people there.

I stress, possibly!

That's quite useful information that I shall file away for later (I wonder if it might work with other brands - and that nebula pattern is oddly enticing...)

However, it does raise the question:

Should a customer purchasing a luxury pen be expected to perform impromptu surgery to get their pen to function as it was supposed to from the get go?

Edited by Silent Speaker

I stress, possibly!

That's quite useful information that I shall file away for later (I wonder if it might work with other brands - and that nebula pattern is oddly enticing...)

Should a customer purchasing a luxury pen be expected to perform impromptu surgery to get their pen to function as it was supposed to from the get go?

The answer is, of course, no! BUT I decided that I would carry out this little bit of 'surgery', because I knew I was capable of doing it, to avoid the unnecessary time-wasting procedure of sending back the pen/nib/section or whatever. In all honesty, it wasn't worth the postage etc and that's from a Brit living, in effect, just up the road! I'm happy with my pens and nibs and I've the back-up of the FC converters for the awkward inks I might come across.

The Good Captain

Sadly this is a common problem with modern Conway Stewart pens. I'm sure that they work well following remedial work but out of the box? Forget it. Over 3/4 of the modern Conway Stewart pens that i own had the same ink flow problems. One still doesn't work even after going back to Conway Stewart several times. I've given up on it :angry:

And slightly off-topic, I take it that no-one has heard anything from Mary Burke about her week at the factory in Devon? Possibly busy at the LA pen show. Where all the Brits can see the latest offerings.

As opposed to the UK pen shows. Where CS don't often have a proper presence.

Onoto do though.

The Good Captain

And slightly off-topic, I take it that no-one has heard anything from Mary Burke about her week at the factory in Devon? Possibly busy at the LA pen show. Where all the Brits can see the latest offerings.

As opposed to the UK pen shows. Where CS don't often have a proper presence.

Onoto do though.

I don't think Conway Stewart have attended any of the UK Pen Shows (I may be wrong on this) though they have put in an appearance at the WES London Show. As you rightly point out, Onoto are always at the UK Pen Shows as well as the London Show.

Edited by david6

Sadly this is a common problem with modern Conway Stewart pens. I'm sure that they work well following remedial work but out of the box? Forget it. Over 3/4 of the modern Conway Stewart pens that i own had the same ink flow problems. One still doesn't work even after going back to Conway Stewart several times. I've given up on it :angry:

I contacted Customer service of Conway today and their reply was :

- possible debris in the feed could be the cause : is your pen thoroughly cleaned ?: I said yes.

- in this way , pen should be sent back to CS and follwoing will be done :

- first good ultrasonic cleaning

- writing test , if not OK then other converter and or feeder will be placed.

I will keep you all updated on this matter

I'm amazed at the number of these threads about problems with modern CS pens.

They seem quite expensive for what they are: mostly plastic pens with c/c filling and gold nibs, and some cost $400-$600! For that much money, there really shouldn't be so many problems.

Hi all,

I haven't posted in quite a long time (maybe a couple of years), but thought I would join this thread. I just today received a new CS Belliver Poinsettia LE from Bryant Greer/Pentime (excellent over-the-phone and fast service; high marks to him!!). Works perfectly right out of the box. Filled with Diamine Florida Blue for its first fill, works beautifully, writes very smoothly, even a bit wetter than my other CS (100 series Coral Green) both with a medium nib. Granted I have yet to write a whole lot with it, but I'm sure it is fine. And I have to say, this pen is far nicer in the hand than even the photos make it look (and they were very nice). A beautiful addition to my collection. I really lusted after the 100 series Poinsettia a few years back, but I think this edition is even better.

Rick

Somewhere north of D.C.

Edited by warblerick

Hi all,

I haven't posted in quite a long time (maybe a couple of years), but thought I would join this thread. I just today received a new CS Belliver Poinsettia LE from Bryant Greer/Pentime (excellent over-the-phone and fast service; high marks to him!!). Works perfectly right out of the box. Filled with Diamine Florida Blue for its first fill, works beautifully, writes very smoothly, even a bit wetter than my other CS (100 series Coral Green) both with a medium nib. Granted I have yet to write a whole lot with it, but I'm sure it is fine. And I have to say, this pen is far nicer in the hand than even the photos make it look (and they were very nice). A beautiful addition to my collection. I really lusted after the 100 series Poinsettia a few years back, but I think this edition is even better.

Rick

Somewhere north of D.C.

Hi Rick ,

the belliver of my wife writes very smooth indeed OTB and a stunning pen and good dimension.

If you don't write a lot with the pen , we didn't see any problem with it.

Though , my wife decided to write with it all day use (office use), and then started to see the feed problem.

Do you use use your pen in "full regime"?

Please keep me updated if you might have a problem.