Lined Journals And Penmanship

MarneM

Most of the journals that I have are lined. I also have some of the webbies with dots, and I'm thinking of trying graph paper at some point too.

So, I find myself with a dilemma. When I write, the loops on lower case letters like g, p, q etc. extend to the next line down. So...do I conserve paper and space, and simply structure my journal writing around the loops, or do I skip a line and allow space for everything to breathe properly, but run through my journals much faster?

What do you do?

Here is a page from my journal. I'm still working on the handwriting.

post-88441-0-00295500-1359677721.jpg

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarneM

• Joe in Seattle

• mbradley

• Susan3141

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of the journals that I have are lined. I also have some of the webbies with dots, and I'm thinking of trying graph paper at some point too.

So, I find myself with a dilemma. When I write, the loops on lower case letters like g, p, q etc. extend to the next line down. So...do I conserve paper and space, and simply structure my journal writing around the loops, or do I skip a line and allow space for everything to breathe properly, but run through my journals much faster?

What do you do?

Here is a page from my journal. I'm still working on the handwriting.

post-88441-0-00295500-1359677721.jpg

I use graph paper and skip a line.

Michael

I use Rhodia dot Webbies. At first I skipped a line, and I must say that my handwriting looked significantly better when I did. But I blew through that Webbie so fast, and at $25 a shot, I decided on frugality of lines rather than penmanship. I practice my penmanship on Clairefontaine French lined paper. Those notebooks aren't as expensive and I love the extra lines for making characters consistent. I figure nobody is going to read my journals, but I would like my writing to improve in correspondence and thank you notes, etc.

Edited by suzyq2463

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

If it's intended for someone else to read, I prefer to go for what's going to be the most attractive. If it's just for me, I don't bother skipping lines & such.

I don't skip, myself.

One of the handwriting books I downloaded from IAMPETH said that when writing, we should consider the look of the page as a whole. That includes writing around the descenders in a way that makes the whole look esthitically pleasing. I suppose it's like approaching a curb while walking. We subtly adjust the length of our steps as we approach to take it in stride, without having to do a half-step when we reach the curb. I try to adjust my writing to make it look like that descender just fits right in to the next line (notice I said, "try.").

BTW-- you have a nice cursive.

Edited by N2theBreach

On lined paper, I skip 2 and using that perspective, I now understand why I go through so much paper in that configuration.

One line is needed for the down loops and one for the upper loops and capitals.

I grew up on Clairefontaine French Ruling or Rhodia graph paper so adjusting to U.S ruled paper took some time.

PS: I still don't know the difference between Legal ruled and the other kind of ruled.

Enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Another kind of paper available in the U.S is Doane paper Doane Paper

It is a made in the U.S.A, fountain pen friendly, paper with light blue grid inside medium blue lines.

It is very reminiscent of Seyes (French ruled) paper.

Chad Doane, the inventor, offers a free pdf download letter size sample of the paper so you can check if it is right for you.

Since I have been back on the Penmanship subforum, I have mentioned this product a number of time.

I am not affiliated with Doane Paper but this new product is a great addition to the hobby!

Hanging out in the subforum in the hope of going back to penmanship practice any time soon.

Let us know what you decide to do MarneM!

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

It looks readable to me.

I myself don't skip, either, and my handwriting is much less orderly than yours. :roflmho:

What notebook is that, by the way? The paper looks quite good with the pen and ink that you're using.

I don't gap. I just try to avoid ascenders colliding with descenders although it doesn't always work out.

Dick D

As the collision of ascenders and descenders almost always creates problems in legibility, I usually skip at least one line...usually two. Any style with long ascenders and descenders, requires two blank lines for legibility.....and it also looks far better (IMHO).

Ken

I like this advice, thank you. After I posted this, I went back last night and tried a page where I skipped a line, and I just didn't like it. It felt full of empty space and just looked off to me. I like it to look sort of old-fashioned.

The notebook is a Clairefontaine (I think the dimensions are 4.25 X 6.75), clothbound on the sides. It's a little smaller than what I would usually pick, but it fit inside the leather wrap that I had, so that's why I chose it. I have to get a larger leather wrap, or continue on with smaller notebooks. Hard to choose!

The ink is Diamine Ancient Copper. I love it for journal writing and use it almost exclusively for that purpose.

I don't skip, myself.

One of the handwriting books I downloaded from IAMPETH said that when writing, we should consider the look of the page as a whole. That includes writing around the descenders in a way that makes the whole look esthitically pleasing. I suppose it's like approaching a curb while walking. We subtly adjust the length of our steps as we approach to take it in stride, without having to do a half-step when we reach the curb. I try to adjust my writing to make it look like that descender just fits right in to the next line (notice I said, "try.").

BTW-- you have a nice cursive.

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

With you size of handwriting and jounal size you would go through one mighty quick if you skipped a line. I don't skip but use a larger journal and have smaller handwriting and nib size.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!