The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Frontier Loose Cap

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tarjeipark

tarjeipark

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:23

Why are the caps so often loose on Frontiers? They snap closed, but are loose still. Is there any easy solution?
Every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.

Matt. 13.52

Sponsored Content

#2 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:30

Mine does the same thing! I would like to know the answer also.
Check out my fledgling pen blog, Kimball's Writing Instruments at http://kimballspens.blogspot.com/

#3 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 15:15

The Frontier has a plastic cap click area on the section (like the Vector). As this wears a little the cap becomes looser, even though the cap can still click on.

I think this may have happened.

Regards,

Richard.

#4 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 17:05

Since I posted in this thread, I'm happy ot report that mine are still a-ok :thumbup:

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#5 rowdy

rowdy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:08

This is pretty normal. I have about 7 of them all the same. I have been using one on a daily basis (Stainless Steel/Gold Trim) for the past 7-8 years and the cap being loose is no issue (IMHO). It clicks on securely. Mine has been thrown around in pants pockets and backpacks and is still going. About the only thing I've replaced is the slide converter.
One other thing - I traded one away and ended up with it back. Apparently the temporary owner soaked the section in water for some time and the rubberized coating came off. Doesn't hurt if you just flush it and wipe it and no prolonged soaking. However having said that it the cap still clicks on (and wiggles) but you have a plastic grip section.

Rowdy

#6 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:48

Why are the caps so often loose on Frontiers? They snap closed, but are loose still. Is there any easy solution?

Mine does the same thing! I would like to know the answer also.

Normal wear and tear.
Though it may wriggle a bit, it willnot come off.
So use it as it is.
I have three (one black and two steel) with Diamonite Z nibs - great pens. Workhorses for sure.
Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#7 tarjeipark

tarjeipark

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2012 - 15:02

Mine were 'wiggly' from brand new...

Every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.

Matt. 13.52

#8 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 15:07

I have 2 Frontiers here, and the only fault I have ever found with them is the loose cap.... on one but not the other.
So I took the faulty one apart and I repaired mine with a piece of thick sticky tape, cut to 36mm x 8mm.
To take the cap apart, the clip has to be removed, pull it straight up.
Then the inside plastic part of the cap will push out by pressing down on the chrome top part.
The photo's show how I did it, and this does not damage the cap in any way.

#9 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 16:02

Mike 59, that has to be the first Frontier cap disassembly I've seen, kudos to you! :thumbup: Very helpful, I it would make a great sticky :thumbup:.

I'm surprised by the tape positioning, I would have expected it to be further up, where the flexy area is?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#10 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 23:23

Hi Flounder, I did think that the double spring 'bars' on each side, were designed to press outwards to keep the cap tight, but obviously have lost their pressure.
One idea I had that would probably work would be to push a thin piece of plastic ( or paper) under the bars to give them more grip on the inside of the cap, might try that too. I could get a thin blade under so it's possible.
I also think some glue run around the edge of the black plastic inner cap then reassembled would work, but I don't like the idea of not being able to get it apart for cleaning, and it's out of place for a job like this.
The only tricky part about this, is to be sure to keep the clip lined up with the flat in the cap, when rebuilding.
I don't know if the tape is in the best place, but higher up the moulding doesn't seem to follow the shape of the metal cap, inside.
Note that the tape I used was not Sellotape, but, say 5 times thicker packing tape, so it's a case of trial & error.
Hope it works for others too !

Sponsored Content

|