Styles Of Sheaffer School/cartridge Pens

MxMJ

I seem to run into these all the time (for a dollar or two) at flea markets and antique malls so I've decided to try to build a set of all the colors/styles. Here is the list of colors/styles that I am aware of, does anyone know of any I have missed (or mistakenly added)?

Thanks!

V1 - Fineliner - Rounded ends - 1954-1963ish

•  
  • Black
  • Clear
  • Translucent Red
  • Translucent Blue
  • Translucent Green

V2 - Pointed ends - 1963-1975ish

•  
  • Black
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Grey
  • Orange
  • Olive
  • Clear
  • Translucent Red
  • Translucent Green
  • Translucent Blue
  • Yellow (thanks Ernst)

V3 - Flat ends - 1975-1998?

•  
  • Black
  • White
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Yellow
  • Translucent Red
  • Translucent Green
  • Translucent Blue
  • Translucent Purple (the example I saw of this had a textured section)

Semi-Hooded Cartridge Pens (timeline?)

•  
  • Black
  • Grey
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Green

Edited by MxMJ

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• pajaro

• jar

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The semi-hooded thing appears in an ad in Life Magazine in August of 1964, so it's probably safe to call it roughly contemptoraneous with the v2. Speaking of which...

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sheaffer-0119a.jpg

...it also appeared in yellow.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. That's a nice list but there is at least one more version, the modern "School Pen" that has rounded ends and open windows in the body so you can see how much ink is left.

My Website

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. That's a nice list but there is at least one more version, the modern "School Pen" that has rounded ends and open windows in the body so you can see how much ink is left.

Thanks, I probably should have added that version to the list for other people to reference but I don't really like them so they wont be part of this collection.

I personally am a fan of the compact cartridge pen, but they are harder to find and I have yet to see them for $ 1.00 and I think that they are probably not what you are looking for.

Hex, aka George

I personally am a fan of the compact cartridge pen, but they are harder to find and I have yet to see them for $ 1.00 and I think that they are probably not what you are looking for.

Yeah, those look nice, I would definitely buy one if I ran into one at the right price, but I'm trying to find out all the versions of the cheap, common cartridge pens.

My collection of Sheaffer Cartridge/School pens:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7172778049_4ab0e4be8e_c.jpg

Sheaffer Cartridge Pens Full Collection by pencils+pens, on Flickr

Left to right:

4 Sheaffer clear body pens.

Pen 1 is set up as an eyedropper with Levenger Cardinal Red. The next 3 are empty at the moment. All four are stamped on the clip as Sheaffer's. However, the size and font varies on the four pens. The nib on pen 1 is marked "F", the nibs on pens 2 and 3 are marked "304" and the nib on pen 4 is marked "305". "304" is a fine nib and "305" is a medium nib. Pen 4 is a hanger queen. The 4 pens arrived with different problems. I was able to get 3 good pens. The fourth pen is missing its cap friction ring and the clip is slightly sprung.

Pen 5 is a new arrival. It has been flushed but not inked. It arrived as a set with the mechanical pencil to its right and the plastic box. The pencil appears to be a 0.9mm, which was standard for the 1950s and early 1960s. The clip and nib are marked Sheaffer's. The pen has a decal with the word "Fine". The top of the pen and pencil are slated. There is a very slight conical shape to the bottom of the pen. The nib is hooded.

The pen to the right of the plastic box is a Fineline. The clip and nib are marked as such. Fineline was a sub-brand of Sheaffer. The nib is also marked "304". Every part of this pen can interchange with the clear body pens.

The pen on the far right is marked Sheaffer's on the clip. The nib is unmarked. Richard Binder identifies this as a Sheaffer School Pen on his Hooded Nibs page. Two things make this pen differ from the other Sheaffer cartridge pens. First, the entire body is made of a soft plastic. It took a little bit of getting used to but it makes the pen very comfortable to write with. The second difference is the body and cap are octagonal. Only the section/grip is round. This may be Sheaffer's only octagonal body pen produced in this time period. The nib is hooded.

A closer view without the box and some duplicate pens:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/7172778137_c411c750e6_c.jpg

Sheaffer Cartridge Pens by pencils+pens, on Flickr

The four pen styles posted:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8161/7357995234_cd0e482e17_c.jpg

Sheaffer nibs by pencils+pens, on Flickr

A close-up of the nibs:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7357995386_167119b9e4_c.jpg

Sheaffer nib closeup by pencils+pens, on Flickr

Edited by pencils+pens

The fourth pen is missing its cap friction ring and the clip is slightly sprung.

I've got an extra friction ring if you want it? One of the pens I got in a lot had rotted or something and the plastic shattered. I kept the lid and friction ring.

Also it looks like the 'fineliner' might be longer than the other rounded end pens? Is that true?

Edited by MxMJ

Good eye, I had not noticed that. I checked everything out. The Fineline is the same length as one of the clear bodies. They are taller then the other clear bodies. I pulled the caps off the pens. The Fineline and the clear bodies are all the same length sans cap. The length difference is all in the cap.

The Fineline and the clear bodies are longer then the soft blue body pen. However, the caps of the short clear bodies are the same length as the soft blue body cap. The difference is in the main body.

Capped, the red pen is the shortest of all. But uncapped it is the same length as an uncapped clear body and longer then the soft blue body uncapped. The soft blue body gets its capped length all from the cap. The cap is slightly longer then the red pen cap and the blue body cap sits higher on the pen then the cap of the red pen.

Thank you for the offer of the friction ring. I sent you a PM about that.

Is the red one a Skripsert ?

Like this one on Etsy ?

My link

I have one similar but yours looks like the flat ends have a slope to them.

Hex, aka George

I have not identified what the red one is. You are correct that it has a slanted top. It slants from rear to front. I do not know if it is a Skripsert or not. Several web sites mention that Sheaffer played a little bit fast and loose with the name Scriptsert. Here is one example.

Some web sites claim that a Scriptsert is any of the inexpensive Sheaffer cartridge only pens that were solid in color.

I have not identified what the red one is. You are correct that it has a slanted top. It slants from rear to front. I do not know if it is a Skripsert or not. Several web sites mention that Sheaffer played a little bit fast and loose with the name Scriptsert. Here is one example.

Some web sites claim that a Scriptsert is any of the inexpensive Sheaffer cartridge only pens that were solid in color.

I see what you mean and that's good to know.

Hex, aka George

I've called it a Skripsert school pen with a Stylpoint section, and you'll note I've capitalized only the copyrighted portions. I imagine if one were to find the right catalogue, a model number might appear.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thank you for this discussion. My first fountain pen was a translucent red V2. I will have to check our local flea market to see if I can find one. I would love to get one for sentimental reasons.

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

• 3 weeks later...

Sheaffer student vintage fountain pen

I recently purchased one of these pens and it is now in transit. It is one of the ones with the silver cap, colored barrel and flattish end. 1960s. Never used. What type of cartridges do I need to get for this old pen? Will the Modern-Day Sheaffer "universal" cartridges work in these old student pens? And if not where do I find some that do fit it? Also, do any converters fit it? Thanks, Breck

post-87732-0-11259900-1340831869.jpg

Sheaffer student vintage fountain pen

I recently purchased one of these pens and it is now in transit. It is one of the ones with the silver cap, colored barrel and flattish end. 1960s. Never used. What type of cartridges do I need to get for this old pen? Will the Modern-Day Sheaffer "universal" cartridges work in these old student pens? And if not where do I find some that do fit it? Also, do any converters fit it? Thanks, Breck

I would not recommend the universal (international) cartridges, the modern sheaffer skrip cartridges (tube with no tapered end) should fit though. I have not found a converted that fits yet, I just use a syringe to refill one of the dozens of old cartridges that I have accumulated.

Edited by MxMJ

Dear NOS and others on this thread: What a great thread! It is exactly what I am having so much fun with, a Sheaffer Student-style cartridge pen. See photo of mine above.

Well, my little yellow pen arrived yesterday sans cartridges. So, after determining what type of cartridge it uses (thanks to NOS, the eBay seller, et al.) I had to find some Skrip cartridges here in town. I did, drove over there this a.m., and bought one blister pak of blue-black Skrip ink. Got it home, promptly read the instructions, and inserted the wrong end! Recognized something wasn't quite right when the cartridge did not go in and turned the cartridge 180 degrees, re-inserted and Voila!

The little pen inked up in about 5 minutes if that long. Much faster than my Platinums and Lamys. Then I set pen to paper and oh my goodness! I was transported back to 1968. And my Sheaffer Student back then was...yes, yellow. And this one is, by the way, new and totally unused. Amazing. A never used 40+ year old pen that is exactly the kind I had and was looking to get, expecting to buy some old used thing. You gotta love the internet!!!

Anyhoo, happy camper in excelsis today. I hope all have as much satisfaction with their Sheaffer School Cartridge Pens as I. It's the little things in Life, eh?

Congratulations, Saintpaulia. I enjoy mine too. I found my own, from decades ago in the back of a drawer and discovered they still work just fine. Then I bought a couple more at a pen show and now have fountain pens of other types as well. But the little Sheaffers are always reliable.

Edited by Ceilidh

Congratulations, Saintpaulia. I enjoy mine too. I found my own, from decades ago in the back of a drawer and discovered they still work just fine. Then I bought a couple more at a pen show and now have fountain pens of other types as well. But the little Sheaffers are always reliable.

Thanks Ceilidh. Well when you characterized them as "little" you got that right! My Sheaffer Student sits on my desk next to my Platinum Plaisir and my Lamy Safari and looks out of place. But that is fine by me. With my small hands those two are really too big. The only thing I would change is to find a pen that is as thin as my Sheaffer but that weighed about twice as much. I am hoping that a Parker Vector might fit the bill. They look thin enough and in the stainless steel version heavy enough. The other possibility would be the Parker Targa Slim Classic.

Thanks Ceilidh. Well when you characterized them as "little" you got that right! My Sheaffer Student sits on my desk next to my Platinum Plaisir and my Lamy Safari and looks out of place. But that is fine by me. With my small hands those two are really too big. The only thing I would change is to find a pen that is as thin as my Sheaffer but that weighed about twice as much. I am hoping that a Parker Vector might fit the bill. They look thin enough and in the stainless steel version heavy enough. The other possibility would be the Parker Targa Slim Classic.

Consider the Parker "75"; ST Dupont Gatsby; Aurora 88 Small; many of the Franklin-Christoph; Sheaffer standard Targa, Thin Line, Triumph Sentinel Deluxe, Imperials, modern Crest; Ferrari da Varese Yesterday, Savant; standard Yard-o-Led; Waterman Preface, Gentleman...

My Website