Fun With Handwriting Practice

pmhudepo

saketb: Welcome. Nice piece. I like the flourishing and the ink color.

Ihtzaz

I'm so happy that you liked it. I have started to learn calligraphy very recently and just jumped over many exercises to get a feeling of this advanced writing.

The ink is "Orange Crush" from Private Reserve, used with a medium nib.

BTW, which flex nib fountain pen have you used for the writing above. Its come out quite good.

Edited by saketb

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmhudepo

• ihtzazqamar

• GhostShip Blue

• smk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ihtzaz

I'm so happy that you liked it. I have started to learn calligraphy very recently and just jumped over many exercises to get a feeling of this advanced writing.

BTW, which flex nib fountain pen have you used for the writing above. Its come out quite good.

I used a Pelikan M205, XF, modified by Richard Binder to "full flex added".

Ihtzaz

Ihtzaz

Ihtzaz

Oh, the Pelikan Mxxx is a great series of pens, especially the nibs are soft and nice to write. But after seeing your written sample, it looks as if you have not used the full flex capability of the pen. Writing in copperplate is a real experience if you want to use your flexing to the full extent...

Ihtzaz

Ihtzaz

Oh, the Pelikan Mxxx is a great series of pens, especially the nibs are soft and nice to write. But after seeing your written sample, it looks as if you have not used the full flex capability of the pen. Writing in copperplate is a real experience if you want to use your flexing to the full extent...

Ah, I do my copperplate practice with dip pens using Gillot 303 nib and others. So, as a reflex, I do not apply much pressure. The little shading I get with Pelikan is quite refreshing though.

Unlike Spencerian, Copperplate (English Roundhand) as epitomised by the great 18th century Writing Masters, has only moderate flex. This restraint contributes to the elegance of the lettering style.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/ThelifethatIhave500.jpg

caliken

Unlike Spencerian, Copperplate (English Roundhand) as epitomised by the great 18th century Writing Masters, has only moderate flex. This restraint contributes to the elegance of the lettering style.

caliken

Wow... that is so beautiful. Its so uniform. I've to learn a lot from here.

What book do you recommend for mastering copperplate? I seriously would like to learn it.

Thanks for the update on flexing.

What book do you recommend for mastering copperplate? I seriously would like to learn it.

I would recommend Ken's own book (http://www.caliken.co.uk/) on Copperplate. And while you're at it you will get good use out of the Italic Variations book since you're interested in improving your handwriting.

Studying the various examples on Ken's website has proved useful for me. I think anyone interested in learning calligraphy should go through and study the excellent examples there.

Best of luck

Salman

caliken

Ken, I am speechless.

Ihtzaz

Thanks for recommending the books available from Mr. Ken's website. I looked at the samples and they are great and professional.

For sure, I shall look forward to have a few of them.

You are most welcome Ken. I have derived great pleasure and instruction from your work as I'm sure others will.

Ihtizaz Sb. - did you notice that the first 'T' in this example is all written in one stroke? Lovely work for sure.

saketb - you are welcome. I am sure you will enjoy and benefit from studying Ken's masterful work.

Salman

You are most welcome Ken. I have derived great pleasure and instruction from your work as I'm sure others will.

Ihtizaz Sb. - did you notice that the first 'T' in this example is all written in one stroke? Lovely work for sure.

saketb - you are welcome. I am sure you will enjoy and benefit from studying Ken's masterful work.

Salman

Salman: Now I notice it. A master's stroke. I love the horizontal thicker part of it too.

Well, after watching this topic for the last few weeks and being imspired by the work being done here, I finally decided to join. Here is my first structured practise session, completed just five minutes ago. I thought it would be a good idea to warm up with some Palmer-style drills, work on individual upper case letterforms, and then copy from a book to work on lower case. Feedback would be much appreciated, as well as any tips for improvement :) It was written on staples lined paper, with a Medium nib-Lami Safari filled with Diamine Evergreen ink.post-70861-0-01401100-1317233538.jpg

TyGuy: Welcome to the thread. You will enjoy participating in this thread.

I am no expert on Palmer or Spencerian hand but I can see that you have a neat hand. I like M, N and V..they are beautiful. Pen also seems to write good. I hope someone familiar with Palmer hand gives a better analysis.

Goof off and have fun.

Ihtzaz

Hello, looks like I am the only one left in this great thread. Have been practicing Capital letters. After continuous practice, now y hand is well set on y Pelikan B nib pen. The eleent fro y copperplate practice is also quite obvious now.

Regards

Ihtzaz

fpn_1317663820__dsc_9574.jpg

I'm still here! I've been repeating some of the previous exercises and working on Applied Handwriting 101, writing a reply to penpal. Mornings are getting darker...

fpn_1317727706__20111001-letter-reply-1.jpg

I will try to comment on the samples above later today, but Ihtzaz's practice of capital letters attracted my immediate attention this morning and I gave writing capitals a try as well:

fpn_1317727925__wp-20111004-0.jpg

As you can see, I have multiple versions of some letters and during note-taking or journaling I tend to mix them up unintentionally. Don't yet know which version of each letter I like best. I think I prefer the "A" in Aqua, the "D" in Dimple, the "W" in Wish -- the sharper or more aggressive versions as opposed to the rounder, friendlier ones. I may well end up borrowing some more ideas from other people :) Haven't found an "I" I like.

After this page, I decided to look a bit closer at other letter forms. I like most lowercase letters to be without serifs, so I prefer line 1 and line B from the following sample, except for the letters b, h, k and l, of which I prefer the versions in line A:

fpn_1317728727__wp-20111004-1.jpg

It's probably a strange mix of styles, but it's what I'm used to, what I'm comfortable using and since it's not meant to be a formal script but rather my own personal writing, I think that should be fine.

Edited by pmhudepo

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

what blue ink is this? it's soo bright. :thumbup:

To which sample are you referring? I've been using Waterman Florida Blue and Private Reserve American Blue in mine.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

what blue ink is this? it's soo bright. :thumbup:

To which sample are you referring? I've been using Waterman Florida Blue and Private Reserve American Blue in mine.

And I used Pelikan Blue-Black ink. I do process my images a bit to get better contrast. In my next sample, I would try to reproduce the shading correctly.

I have been guilted into posting! :P

Hope these upload.

The first page is my very first sticks and the second about one month after.

post-75632-0-33009400-1317680357.jpg

The is a mish mash of handwriting schools and done very carefully. The second page here should really be paired with the second page of the first image because I'm teaching myself thr Palmer Method and is the following lesson.

post-75632-0-17574100-1317680394.jpg

Cheers,

Drew

I do not know much about Palmer's method but I can see that the sticks are much better in the second page. In the second page of writing, the letter height is very small for me. I know it is Palmer's method's standard. The letter i should not take full width space...you did correct it later in the page though.

If you frequently post, we may be motivated to try Palmer's method. I tend to apply copperplate techniques in my fp writing.

have fun

Ihtzaz