Violet Or Purple Pens

sombrueil

I love j.herbin violette pensee but I have no violet, purple, or even blue pens to put it in, because I am apparently so attracted to browns, grays, greens, and dark reds. Can anyone suggest a pen that would go with that color ink? Especially if it is swirly, marbled, striped, pearl . . . and I prefer minimal metal trim. Vintage always best! So far I've come up with: blue esterbrook. Which is good (cheap excellence), but wonder if there are other options. Photos always preferred . . .

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• foxtail1

• OrchidUnicorn

• gyasko

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given your preferences, it's probably exactly what you don't want, but I do think the Lamy Studio Violet ltd edition pen is rather lovely.

Keep up with everything going on in our shop and our region! News and other stuff on our Facebook page.

Given your preferences, it's probably exactly what you don't want, but I do think the Lamy Studio Violet ltd edition pen is rather lovely.

I like the color very much! I like the shape, the simplicity . . . I'm still holding out for that vintage celluloid, but I'm tempted. I agree it is a very nice unassuming pen with classy looks.

There really isn't much that is purple out there, especially in vintageland. Here's one cool pen: a Sanpei Williamson

Have a look in the Conway Stewart forum. A thread current at the moment lists all the colors and there are some lovely shades, including Purple Amethyst. :puddle:

Have a look in the Conway Stewart forum. A thread current at the moment lists all the colors and there are some lovely shades, including Purple Amethyst. :puddle:

Yep, I agree with you. that's the color I want all right. Gorgeous.

The "51" Plum is very dark. (top pen)

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/CordovanandPlum.jpg

probably not what you want.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I'd just note that you can get an Edison made in just about any swirly color pattern you can think of.

There's the Parker mauve pastel pen, which is basically a Duofold. They have a moire pattern. I'd say that one pretty much touches all your bases. Maybe not the easiest pen to come by, however.

It's not so easy coming up with purple vintage pens.

The Taccia Continental in purple is not expensive and it writes really well. Actually, Swisher pens has one on sale in the Attic section for only $ 51. I would buy it if I didn't have one already!

But a violet or purple ink also goes very well with other pens that are not necessarily purple. An example is the Libelle Epic Ivory Swirl. This is a pen with a feminine aura to it, and it goes perfectly with violet and purple inks. See the picture below. Gigi

post-19906-127484168523.jpg

post-19906-127484189151.jpg

How about this one - vintage Conway Stewart Duro 60 with correct medium nib - in Violet basket celluloid. Not in perfect cosmetic condition, (someone tried to remove the section with some unsuitable pliars) but in good working order. If you are interested email me please! Sorry for the picture quality!

http://dxlab.ky1v.com/zzz/DSC_0007.jpg

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

How about the lavender (orchid?) Esterbrook purse pen? I really love the color on mine. :wub:

Lashelle

+1 I have this pen, and I use Violette Pensee in it every day. Great combination.

Orchidunicorn, those lavender pastel esties are hard to find! I can't even find an image of one. I also am imagining their rarity drives the price up . . .

gigipurple, that Taccia is the right color and price and it's cute too . . . keeping it in mind . . .

Chris Chalmers, that's a *gorgeous* droolsome pen. I've fondled that pattern in my mind more than once. I am not into medium nibs though . . . which is a *good* thing.

Frankly, all this helpfulness is sort of scary, as I think I may (oh no!) end up buying

another

pen

which would be wrong. Very wrong.

Your description sounds like a vintage Conway Stewart. I've seen more nice-looking purple celluloid pens of that make than any other. There's a seller on E-Bay (redripple52) who restores quite a few Conway Stewart pens and has had 2-3 purple ones for auction in the last few months. Her auctions include a writing sample so you can judge whether the nib is your sort. I bought a handsome blue-marbled Conway Stewart 388 from her that's an excellent, smooth writer.

Orchidunicorn, those lavender pastel esties are hard to find! I can't even find an image of one. I also am imagining their rarity drives the price up . . .

gigipurple, that Taccia is the right color and price and it's cute too . . . keeping it in mind . . .

Chris Chalmers, that's a *gorgeous* droolsome pen. I've fondled that pattern in my mind more than once. I am not into medium nibs though . . . which is a *good* thing.

Frankly, all this helpfulness is sort of scary, as I think I may (oh no!) end up buying

another

pen

which would be wrong. Very wrong.

Oh WOW! I love the pastel purse pens, so I kinda go out of my way to look for them. That said, I have had my lavender purse pen for long enough that it wasn't so hard to find, or rare, when I got it. Did not know they were hard to find now. Oh well that still won't keep me from writing with it! :D

I LOVE purple pens too! I have several and this topic is NOT helping me in my resolve to slow down on my pen acquisitions! I have a purple Vanishing Point, a Purple Levenger/Sheaffer Seas pen, a Cross Paul Smith designer pen in purple, Levenger True Writer in a purple mosaic pattern, a purple Sheaffer Nononsense and of course the Estie! I was just looking at the Lamy violet Studio and Lamy purple All Star BEFORE I found this topic. I AM DOOMED! :headsmack:

Lashelle

Edited by OrchidUnicorn

Your description sounds like a vintage Conway Stewart.

upon investigation I believe you are right. Thank you!

What about a translucent blue Passaporto? (eyedropper filled)

http://www.giardino.it/pens/stipula/IMMAGINI/PassaportoCH.jpg

Or a Visconti Opera master Demo, with blue/grey swirls (double reservoir power filling):

http://www.giardino.it/pens/visconti/IMMAGINI/OperaMasterDemo.jpg

Or a Delta Window, with violet swirls (push button):

http://www.giardino.it/pens/delta/IMMAGINI/WinPri.jpg

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

What about a translucent blue Passaporto? (eyedropper filled)

http://www.giardino.it/pens/stipula/IMMAGINI/PassaportoCH.jpg

Or a Visconti Opera master Demo, with blue/grey swirls (double reservoir power filling):

http://www.giardino.it/pens/visconti/IMMAGINI/OperaMasterDemo.jpg

Or a Delta Window, with violet swirls (push button):

http://www.giardino.it/pens/delta/IMMAGINI/WinPri.jpg

Well, partly because I don't consider any of them very purple, but mostly because they are too modern-looking for my taste. I am an oldfashioned girl, apparently.

This thread calls for my purple pen picture! It's out of date, as I've added 5 more pens, but I'll do a new photo soon. Of course, these aren't vintage- the oldest may be the No-nonsense!

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz261/foxtail1/purple.jpg

Kristi

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.