Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Parker fibretip refills?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 22:58

I've seen a few listings on ebay for Parker fibretips. I'd seen the 25s before (nice pens: I'd much sooner a nice fibretip to a nice biro at least partly as I always preferred those Papermate fibretips to disposable ballpoints), and a couple of others I've seen look nicer still. Now the question that springs to mind about these items is the obvious one: does anybody make a fibretip refill that'll fit inside one of these pens? I take it the Cross ones won't do, or the dwindling supplies of Waterman ones (never seen a waterman felt tip). Does anybody make a fibre tip refill that'll fit into a '70s or '80s Parker fibre tip pen?

#2 Aislingean

Aislingean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:17

I have been reusing the same old Parker fibretip refill for many years past!
A slight twist and the old end cap pops off.
I inject a small amount of universal inkjet refill ink and pop the endplug back on.
Q.E.D.
You can mix your own shade of ink but it takes ages to work through as the remains of the original colour determines the colour shade that writes so ~~~~ don't try for too big a colour change!
I would advise that you collect used refills as the points although very durable do not last forever!
Cheers
Dave

#3 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,544 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 14:07

Thank you, Dave. That's handy to know.
Just like filling a 61, then... :ltcapd:

#4 BelArgent

BelArgent

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:04

I've seen a few listings on ebay for Parker fibretips. I'd seen the 25s before (nice pens: I'd much sooner a nice fibretip to a nice biro at least partly as I always preferred those Papermate fibretips to disposable ballpoints), and a couple of others I've seen look nicer still. Now the question that springs to mind about these items is the obvious one: does anybody make a fibretip refill that'll fit inside one of these pens? I take it the Cross ones won't do, or the dwindling supplies of Waterman ones (never seen a waterman felt tip). Does anybody make a fibre tip refill that'll fit into a '70s or '80s Parker fibre tip pen?

Can't help you with the original fibre tip refills, but David Nishimura of Vintage Pens has a little plastic spacer available on his site that will allow these pens to use a currently available Parker gel insert.

#5 randyholhut

randyholhut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 13:53

The Parker rollerball refill is the usual substitute for the felt tip pens of the 1970s like the Big Red, the Touche or the Systemmark. They drop in without the spacers needed for ball point refills.

I'd never heard of refilling the old ones. I'd figure the tip would get too mushy to use after a while.

#6 Lord Nincompoop

Lord Nincompoop

Disciple

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 21:21

I have been reusing the same old Parker fibretip refill for many years past!
A slight twist and the old end cap pops off.
I inject a small amount of universal inkjet refill ink and pop the endplug back on.
Q.E.D.
You can mix your own shade of ink but it takes ages to work through as the remains of the original colour determines the colour shade that writes so ~~~~ don't try for too big a colour change!
I would advise that you collect used refills as the points although very durable do not last forever!
Cheers
Dave

Printer ink? Isn't that bad for pens in general?
Pens Owned:
  • Parker Sonnet, M nib
  • Sheaffer Calligraphy Set, F & M & B Calligraphy nibs
  • Inoxcrom Wall Street Elegance, M nib
  • Parker IM, F nib

#7 Aislingean

Aislingean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2010 - 13:10

[[/quote]
Printer ink? Isn't that bad for pens in general?
[/quote]

I would not use inkjet ink in a quality fountain pen however in the old and I am talking very old, original issue Parker fibretip refill it works very well. :thumbup:
I believe that my main fibretip pen was part of my first 45 'flighter' set acquired in the late 1970s.
The ink is dye based and water soluble as is the liquid used to fill many fibretip pens originally. It is not archival and will fade but no worse than any standard inkjet printed page. I have not tested the ph but as the container is metal the ink does not come into contact with the pen body everything is fine.
As for the fibre points, they do suffer from too much pressure and do not like being dropped onto hard surfaces but then most nibs have similar dislikes!
The firetip refill I am using at the present time was new some years before inkjets were even thought of and it is still going strong!
Now thats recycling in the long term, perhaps I should cook up some green ink? :hmm1:
Cheers
Dave

#8 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,544 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 13:45

Thanks, everybody.