Aurora Superna

zabo

Where the h... do you find these flea markets?

I try around here and I find NOTHING of interest.

Well, it may has been divine intervention, since a couple of weeks ago I posted that it was absolutely impossible to find something at a flea market in Italy anymore... :embarrassed_smile:

And actually I have never found anything of interest at bargain price before. Nothing. Nada. Nihil.

Now I have Faith again!

Here 2 regular pens in burgundy, standard and OS

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/rvetrugno/Aurorasuperne.jpg

Hi Roberto and thank you for the photographs.

It seems to me that the jewels on the two burgundy are different from all the other ones we've seen: they are not simply rounded-flat, they have a step.

Do you know if this is a different generation or a random variation?

Edited to add:

Please forgive, I was too much in a hurry and did not look well. Now I looked better. Mine too has a step and is not simply flat. In your pictures the step seems more pronounced, but it may be just the light...

sorry... :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by zabo

Arnaldo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zabo

• pavlosh

• dannyboy

• sanpei

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulation for the SUMGAI!!

it's long time I don't find around a SUPERNA!!

here is your pen restored :thumbup:

great pen !!

MY FAVOURITE VINTAGE FOUNTAIN PEN? THE ONE I DON'T HAVE!

Congratulation for the SUMGAI!!

it's long time I don't find around a SUPERNA!!

here is your pen restored :thumbup:

great pen !!

Heila!

We were thinking were had you gone? (missing your pics in this topic. :notworthy1: )

I'm enjoing the pen a lot :bunny01:

Arnaldo

just busy with my job and have short time to enjoy with you all those nice topics!!

ciao

s

MY FAVOURITE VINTAGE FOUNTAIN PEN? THE ONE I DON'T HAVE!

just busy with my job and have short time to enjoy with you all those nice topics!!

ciao

s

...And me who keeps bothering you with silly questions. :ltcapd:

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Zabo, very nice pen!! Can you explain me how the filling system work, please.

Hi,

I'm not the expert, here.

I wish I had a drawing of the internal mechanics too.

Basically you push the lever to one side and that movement, through a leverage, depresses an internal bar that empies the sac.

On release the lever springs back to central position and the sac vacuum fills.

Arnaldo

• 4 weeks later...

I want to post an update.

Paolo (Sanpei) has restored for me the Superna of this post.

Since it was useless we decided to remove the rest of the engraving on the barrell and so he repolished it.

Moreover he made the cap fit again perfectly.

Here are some photographs of his beautiful work:

post-23118-1240410318_thumb.jpg

post-23118-1240410329_thumb.jpg

Now she's back to pristine splendor.

Thank you, Paolo!

Arnaldo

• 7 months later...

photo, please...

I guess that was addressed to me :)

My first thought was that nobody will be really interested in photos as it's the same pen (though in different color and with slightly different nib).

Now please have some, made as quick work (between 1AM and 2AM :rolleyes: - I hope to have excuse for quality )

Picture #1: Logo

[sorry for inserting link instead of picture as that but I got "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board" warning]

So it's really Aurora Superna. The nib engravings are badly seen on my photo - please believe me that it says " Aurora Torino 5 585%".

The size of the pen is

Capped: 135mm (5 and quarter in inches)

Uncapped: 122mm

To give the idea of size and better idea about color please see

Picture #2 ; Pcture #3

Superna is in the middle.

Pen on the right is Aurora 806 (of 88 series). It is of same manufacturer and appear of almost exactly same size (both capped and uncapped).

Pen on the left is Omas Bologna Autumn - made of same material (celluloid) though different in colors (different people have different ideas what autumn colors are :) .

To my pity (and hence I'm sorta envy :) ) filling system of my Superna seems to be not in the right shape (I will work on that as I would like to try flex nib).

That's it for now

:huh:

Pavlo Shevelo

Proud contributor to http://penpedia.com/sig2.gif

VERY nice celluloid! Enjoy it!

Big size Supernas could mount either n. 5 or n. 6 nibs.

As for the filling system it "...had a lever on the end which could be operated both ways through a small black sphere at its end. The lever was mounted on a pin supported by a hemispheric aluminum structure, like the inner sleeve of the barrel (the automatic side-flexing filling system)."

Please look at my avatar for a radiograph of it... :-)

It may simply be a petrified sack.

Arnaldo

VERY nice celluloid! Enjoy it!

Oh thank you, Arnaldo!

Celluloid is really great - very autumn in colors by the way (as for my taste much more autumn than mentioned OMAS pen :) , though I like that pen very much).

Telling you frankly it was my "minimum-minimorum" plan from the very beginning: if I will not get luck to renovate pen to full-function mode I will just enjoy it beauty. Besides the body colors is not the only thing that I like in this pen (which makes it beauty masterpiece for me).

I'm going to polish it and to make pictures in bright sun light - I'm sure that it will became even more beautiful :P

As for the filling system it "...had a lever on the end which could be operated both ways through a small black sphere at its end. The lever was mounted on a pin supported by a hemispheric aluminum structure, like the inner sleeve of the barrel (the automatic side-flexing filling system)."

Please look at my avatar for a radiograph of it... :-)

Gracie mille for so detailed explanation and special thanks for this radiograph picture which is pretty informative (congratulations for great avatar idea!).

Lever of my pen is moving both ways but not full way.

It may simply be a petrified sack.

That is my understanding (at least guesswork :) ) as well. The pen was manufactured at least 68 years ago and it's possible that sack was never changed while only God knows what were the conditions in which pen worked and was saved later.

Pavlo

Pavlo Shevelo

Thank you Pavlo for sharing the photographs with us. It's a beautiful find, congratulations.

I wonder how the pen moved to Ukraine btw... possibly it was something a WWII soldier carried with him? If pens could talk we would hear interesting stories!

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Thank you Pavlo for sharing the photographs with us. It's a beautiful find, congratulations.

I wonder how the pen moved to Ukraine btw... possibly it was something a WWII soldier carried with him? If pens could talk we would hear interesting stories!

Ciao,

My pleasure :)

Regarding appearance of the pen on the territory of Ukraine - we can only practice in guesswork as I purchased it on sorta flea market from person who is 'businessman' - he purchased pen from somebody with aim to sell it and never was interested (so never questioned) in it history (and he is not specializing in pens).

Yes it sounds reasonable that some Italian WWII soldier (perhaps officer? - I don't know how expensive pen was back then so who could afford it) carried this pen with him. The is no signs of any engravings like owner name etc. on the pen.

Oh yes, if pens could talk...

--Pavlo

_____

Pavlo Shevelo

Oh yes, if pens could talk...

...they probably would not write any more.

Arnaldo