Jinhao cigar-shaped pens (x450, x750, x530). Any good?

nscampos

Hi,

I have been looking for an inexpensive pen with a classic cigar-shape for regular (but not intense) use and I saw some models from Jinhao (x450, x750, x530) that I find quite interesting and I was thinking on buying one of this pens.

The only thing that I know about those models is that they are heavy. The Jinhao commemorative series (a little more expensives) seem to have good reviews, but what about those ones?

The x450 has one review on FPN and it’s positive.

Do you have any experience with any of them?

Thanks,

Nuno Campos

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talos

• nscampos

• donwinn

• dogpoet

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 450. The nib is Bold and it is wet and full. It is indeed smooth. And yes, the pen is heavy. Mine has a white and grey and black marble lacque finish and it looks nice. I can not say how well it will hold up over the long run, but for the cost it is a decent pen, just a little heavy for me. If you take the nibout, be careful. The nibs pull out easily for cleaning but clearly they are on the thin side and could bend easier than the steel nibs you might be use to. Wish I could help more, but honestly I do not use it much because the line is too thick and wet for me. j

I have two X450's, one white, one red. I like them both very much. Both are M/F nibs, nicely wet, and buttery smooth. I have sold several, just from offering my user 450, already inked, to a person to try, and they like it so much they want one just like it. I like heavy, so it is not a problem with me. I can use a lightweight pen, and have several. It really depends upon what I am writing, and for how long.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I have both a x450 and and x530. Both write a nice wet line and have a very smooth nib. On the x450 I have used Private Reserve Ink and at times this pen can be a hard starter but then once it starts to write it is great. The x530 does not seem to be as hard of a starter but writes as well as the x450. I am gonna try a different ink, waterman or diamine, as see if I have better luck with the starting issue. Both are good pens that I enjoy.

Another couple of pens that I would recommend that I have had fantastic luck are the Duke Silver Ring fountain pen that is sold by www.goldquills.com and the Huashilai 3000 pen that is sold by Todd at www.isellpens.com. The Huashilai does not have the classic cigar look that the Duke has but would be well worth checking out. The Silver Ring pen is an easy starter even after a couple of days of non-use and has a smooth close to medium nib. The Huashilai 3000 is also an easy starter and writes a bit more toward a true medium. The Huashilai does give you a bit more nib feedback than the Duke or the Jinhao pens but it is in no way scratchy.

Hope this helps

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

I have both a x450 and and x530. Both write a nice wet line and have a very smooth nib. On the x450 I have used Private Reserve Ink and at times this pen can be a hard starter but then once it starts to write it is great. The x530 does not seem to be as hard of a starter but writes as well as the x450. I am gonna try a different ink, waterman or diamine, as see if I have better luck with the starting issue. Both are good pens that I enjoy.

Another couple of pens that I would recommend that I have had fantastic luck are the Duke Silver Ring fountain pen that is sold by www.goldquills.com and the Huashilai 3000 pen that is sold by Todd at www.isellpens.com. The Huashilai does not have the classic cigar look that the Duke has but would be well worth checking out. The Silver Ring pen is an easy starter even after a couple of days of non-use and has a smooth close to medium nib. The Huashilai 3000 is also an easy starter and writes a bit more toward a true medium. The Huashilai does give you a bit more nib feedback than the Duke or the Jinhao pens but it is in no way scratchy.

Hope this helps

I also have a D10 Duke, which is one of my favorites. When I first got it, my wife remarked that it was my nicest pen, being unaware that it was one of my least expensive ones.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Hi Donni I have 3x450, 1x750, 1x530 which is called the CONFUCIOUS PEN it is rather heavy but like all of the other Jinhao's that I have it writes so smoooth, I have some 34 other Jinhao's which I just love to use, cant get enough of them. I buy all of mine from gotoschool888 on ebay I find that their service and prices are so affordable including the shipping.Bryan

Hi Donni I have 3x450, 1x750, 1x530 which is called the CONFUCIOUS PEN it is rather heavy but like all of the other Jinhao's that I have it writes so smoooth, I have some 34 other Jinhao's which I just love to use, cant get enough of them. I buy all of mine from gotoschool888 on ebay I find that their service and prices are so affordable including the shipping.Bryan

Yes, gotoschool888 on ebay is the best place... I ordered a silver metal colored x750 which I use as my daily pen at work. Its writes very smooth, broad wet lines. Its solidly build and it has a nice engraved 'dragon head' on the broad nib. Its a nice and super affordable, quality pen. For more photos check out a online seller who renamed this pen... 'Vertrag'...

http://www.xfountainpens.com/X750-Vertrag-Silver-p/jh156.htm

Yes, gotoschool888 on ebay is the best place... I ordered a silver metal colored x750 which I use as my daily pen at work. Its writes very smooth, broad wet lines. Its solidly build and it has a nice engraved 'dragon head' on the broad nib. Its a nice and super affordable, quality pen. For more photos check out a online seller who renamed this pen... 'Vertrag'...

http://www.xfountainpens.com/X750-Vertrag-Silver-p/jh156.htm

Here you can bid: (no affiliation)

http://cgi.ebay.com/JINHAO-VALUED-IRON-GRA...93%3A3|294%3A50

Thanks for the answers.

According to xfountainpens, the x450 weights 39,7 g and the x750 28,4 g. No information about the x530.

Since the x750 weights less (but it still is a heavy pen) I think I'll try to find one on ebay.

Thanks for the answers.

According to xfountainpens, the x450 weights 39,7 g and the x750 28,4 g. No information about the x530.

Since the x750 weights less (but it still is a heavy pen) I think I'll try to find one on ebay.

Ha, good! You can get it for US$7.50 with international shipping included. (i did, with the ebay seller mentioned earlier in this tread... "gotoschool" or something like that.

It has a solid nice click with you put the cap back on. Fully metal. Very smooth nib, just write with it for a couple of days, and the lines become nice wet and fully black. I use the ink "PARKER QUINK" BLACK. No problems.

• 5 months later...

My commentary here is not meant to be a pen review.

I recently picked up five JinHao x750 pens, brushed stainless steel.

I like the weight and balance of the pens...the look of them...not too ornate.

The nibs are'B' type.

They came to me well packaged, well protected.

Although I like the mechanical aspects of the pens, I do not like how they write or the nibs.

First thing I did was examine the nibs with a loupe....*all* of them had to be adjusted as the tines were not properly aligned, by that I mean one tip was higher then the other one.

Worse...do some writing and then another look with the loupe...the tips have moved.. basically the metal nib material and design is not stiff enough.

It can be partly remedied by moving the metal part of the nib relative to the plastic part to provide better nib support. (The nib can be disassembled to it's three components).

But no matter what...and I have tried several different inks and several different papers I have lying around here...the nibs will often go 'dry' when writing...and if you do a down-stroke, ie a long vertical line on paper it will often not lay down any ink at all.

Have to do the wrist-flick to get them writing again.

Tried flushing and cleaning with soapy water followed by a thourough rinse, water forced through the nib in both directions under suction or pressure...and still the same.

So obviously a change of nib would be the solution here....but since these pens only cost me something like $9.30 Cdn each delivered...not likely to happen.

So...overall I am disappointed with these pens...but perhaps most or all of what I have said and experienced is due to my relative inexperience in pen matters.

The joke is...I have several cheap pens....Pilot VPens...a couple of Itoya Blades..Hero 616s....and a few cheap dollar store fountain pens that write properly every time...no matter what inks I put into them....and have no nib misalignment issues.

Just my two penny opinion here.

Obsidian57

I have an X450. It is good, but very heavy. Check the length and weight, and then compare it to a pen you already know.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Another positive vote for the x450. I've got a couple and they're very nice pens. I prefer the commemoratives, but the x450s are lighter and have the same buttery smooth nibs.

I have an X450 - it writes well, but dries out too quickly when not used (a couple of days) and is very heavy and not very well-balanced. I don't use it very much. However, for the pittance you'd pay for it, it's worth picking up.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have an X450 - it writes well, but dries out too quickly when not used (a couple of days) and is very heavy and not very well-balanced. I don't use it very much. However, for the pittance you'd pay for it, it's worth picking up.

:unsure:

And if you have a couple you can chain them together and use them as nunchakas...

I have 2 x450s and I like them. They do write a little wide, but they make nice lines and are very smooth. My only disappointment was the converter which was truly cheap. I bought a couple of waterman converters on ebay and they fit just as well and feel much better. The converter will be almost as much as the pen, more if you get free shipping, but I think it was worth it.

Rick

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

Hi I have the X450 . Its a heavy pen but writes real smoothly.Like others mention its a slow starter especially when its been sitting idle for awhile.

Also using the pen posted is a bit of a problem.I've noticed that the lacquer quality in some pieces isn't as good and tend to chip.

:unsure:

And if you have a couple you can chain them together and use them as nunchakas...

+1 on the nunchakas suggestion.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I bought 3 of these pens on ebay .They were 99 cents each plus $4.98 shipping.Ha ha .They wrote buttery smooth and with a juicy wet medium line right out of the box.So far no problems at all.