What's your favorite pencil?

all my hues

Graham,

Thanks for the link. The only pencil that I've found in Austalia is the Lamy Scribble with a 3,15mm lead for around $75 Aus. Also the leads are really expensive too :crybaby:

a bit on the rich side, considering I'm going to use it on drawing markups on the factory floor and will probably damage or loose it.

Again thanks :thumbup:

Paul

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgmarin

• QM2

• Thornton

• Breck

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Myself i prefer vintage gold and this one is my favourite

14k Tiffany magic pencil,circa 1890-1910(or so i have been told)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/tiff2.jpg

For me, my favourite mechanical pencils would be, in order

1) Pentel Kerry 0.5

2) Papermate Pacer Executive

3) Staedtler Triplus Micro 0.5

4) Staedtler Mars Technico 780C 2mm

Lead, you can't go past the Pentel Ain range. Simply the best. I use mostly 2B because I like a nice dark line, but the HB is still very nice to write with if you want to avoid smearing. It's crazily strong, addressing perhaps the most common concern with MP leads.

In woodcase, I've got an odd favorite; this HB Crayola round pencil I found a few weeks ago...

Aside from that, I do really like the Staedtler Tradition in HB and 2B, and the Faber Castell Grip 2001 in HB and 2B.

The woodcase pencils from Craft Design Technology are fantastic, right up there with Tombow and Mitsubishi.

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

Premium level

Mitsubishi Hi-Uni HB

I love these guys. I've squirreled away a few boxes of the Hi-uni's and the mono 100's. I can't afford to have many though, such expensive pencils! Haha. For everyday writing, I use mirados, lyras, ticonderogas, and staedtlers. I only bust out the premium ones when I feel like spoiling myself.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

It was my Rotring 600 MP until I found this:

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/scotia_bucket/d0ea_1.jpg

0.5mm Rotring 800 :cloud9:

Yard o Led Perfecta pencil with the Victorian finish. Can't live without it.

The above is still my favourite pencil on Earth.

But as of today, I am also officially a fan of the Aurora Sketch Pen (which is really a pencil).

This is a must for artists who are looking for a good way to use thick graphite. The size of the led is about the same as a China marker or vine charcoal -- but without the mess or oily residue. The thickness and weight of the holder is just right too -- particularly for large figure studies on paper, or background drawings on large canvases. I am really quite in awe of the design; had no idea it would be such a perfect and useful object!

Even though I have many pencils, in general I use Parker Insignia and Parker Frontier Pencils. Both are 0.5 mm.

• 1 month later...

Japanese steel mechanical pencils. Especially the black striped ones made by Pilot.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Pilot/Pilot_MP_comparison-length.jpg

But there's one even better... a pencil for drafting at a desk, not very portable. The Pentel Mechanica 0.3mm. Beautiful instrument.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/2595543811_94866e5f05.jpg

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Wood-cased pencils forever!

Eberhard-Faber Mongol Number 1 (482). About ten years ago, I found and bought a half-dozen boxes from the back shelves of an old-fashioned stationary shop.

Otherwise, I buy almost anything from Golden State. Shipping? Painful, but, just as life is too short to write with a scratchy nib, life is too short to write with "Papermate" pencils.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

My current favorite is a mechanical pencil - 0.5 mm Uni-Ball Kuru Toga with Uni-Ball NanoDia HB. The rotation mechanism is not only cool, but really works.

Mechanical Pencil

Pentel Sensi Grip (120 A3DX) in .3, .5, .7, and .9, fantastic design for both drafting, their intended purpose, and writing, what I use them for mostly.

Wooden Pencil,

Sanford Mirado Woodtone, and a very nice wood tone at that!

or

Sanford Mirado Black Warrior

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I'm on the search for the perfect pencil! Well....besides the Palamino, because it's so expensive to acquire! ($4 something for the pencils themselves, ok....but then another $5 for shipping? Gah!). I really want to try one (or two or three) but it doesn't look like that's going to be happening soon. Soooo.....

Do you prefer mechanical or woodcase? (Me = woodcase. Sharpening is fun!!) Also, if mechanical, what lead do you use? (I used a really bad lead that put me off mechanical for life, hehe)

What's your favorite pencil, and why? Let's see what awesome woodcase pencils I can find/discover through you people :-)

Hello! Great question & subject.

I have the Palomino pencils and they are excellent (they sharpen to a pristine point). My favorite woodcase pencils, however, are from Tombow in Japan ("Tombow" means dragonfly in Japanese; the insect is the company's logo & it's also my State's insect!). The pencil's model number is 2558, the are yellow, hexagonal, and "For General Writing" is printed along one side. They produce, I think, the best HB (#2) pencil for the price ($11/dozen--it's a necessary luxury!). The B grade Tombow is, usually, my woodcase pencil of choice since it produces a super-smooth, beautiful, black graphite line. I buy my Tombows at Kinokuniya Bookstore in Seattle.

My favorite mechanical pencil is my trusty Lamy 2000 0.7 mm. I bought it in the early 80s, it was made in "West Germany," it's worked flawlessly, and it has taken on a beautiful patina.

Using a mechanical pencil or woodcased pencil depends on my mood and the type of writing or drawing that I am doing. I don't have a favorite mode.

Cheers pencil fans, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

I miss the old Berol/Eagle Mirado, that lead was beautiful. Now, it's Staedtler and Faber Castell.

Staedtler 780 leadholder and Pentel Quick Erase (HUGE eraser, nice balance) are my favorite mechanicals

• 12 years later...

I rigged the engine of both the Traveler's Company brass bullett pencil and the Faber Castell Perfect Pencil with two Blackwing (original) Eberhard Faber 602 stubs.

A real marvel....

IMG_3544.jpg

Edited by Rosetta59
picture substitution with an improved one

Greetings from Italy to you all !!

;)

depends on what I am doing.

I am fond of my koh I noor rapidomatic 5635

and my rotring 800

more or less the same pen.

then there is the koh I noor tecnigraph 5611

faber castell tk 9500

koh I noor 5340 or 5649 its the same pen but the number is different for those of you who like a nice thick 6 mm lead.

and...

I tend to like pencils although I use them rather rarely. I'm fascinated by mechanical pencils and I am attracted by their "pen" bodies, but too often their very fine point does not thrill me. One pencil that I happen to keep at hand, and it is the one I grab more frequently, is the vintage pencil here pictured that is marked Maglieria Migliorini (a long gone nitwear shop in Milano - only by chance I have worked for a while practically very close to this shop in more recent years). Some relatives of my wife were in the tailoring business and I suppose this pencil come from there.

I like the fact that the lead can be easily adjusted just by pressing the button, that it takes larger leads (2 mm), and can be sharpened to my preference (I use a lead sharpener), fine point or also broad tip.

(The pencil at the bottom is also a rather nice vintage Osmia/Faber Castell)

large.1518072674_P1150388-3Migliorini.jpg.8ebda61b436e0108b0b7be7a8defd935.jpg