What's your favorite pencil?

all my hues

My jade green Duofold pencil that matches my pen. It takes the thick leads that are next to impossible to break while writing and they last forever.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgmarin

• Thornton

• Breck

• stevlight

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

No real preference, just anything that matches (or closely matches) the FP I am using, amongst favourites are Pelikan Tortoise (400 size) and various Vac pencils to match FPs, more modern ones, quite like the Duofolds.

Andy

I use both mechanical and wood case pencils. I carry a Faber-Castle E-Motion pencil with me in my backpack. I find the huge lead is self sharpening and really fun to use. At home, I am fond of currrent production Duofold MP's. I also have a couple vintage 1920's Duofold MP's. And I frequently use a Lamy Safari pencil.

For wood case pencils, I have used for years Papermate American Naturals, HB#2. Because they have no paint on them, they are easy to sharpen. They are very inexpensive and I can get them at my local grocery store.

Retro 51 tornado pencil--big eraser --big lead so it does not break and a nice heavy weight.

www.stevelightart.com

I have a few pencils, a vac pencil, a tortoise Pelikan pencil, a few Skyline pencils, some Balance-ish pencils... The only one i ever use is the Pelikan, mainly because it sits in an etui for my tortoise 400, which i often have on my person.

Arthur,

How thick is the lead in this pilot. Where can you get one of these?

Paul

I do woodcase.

Premium level

Mitsubishi Hi-Uni HB

Craft Design Technology item 17

All-arounder level

California Republic Prospector - same manufacturer as the Palomino, cheaper (get a tube of 40!), and just a great day-to-day pencil.

The Pentel P20x series are great mechanical pencils. See Dave's Mechanical Pencils for an incredible collection of reviews.

Rotring 600 0.7mm

Namiki Kasuri VP, Pilot Murex

Sailor Sapporo / Sailor 1911

Lamy 2000 / Studio / Safari

WTB: Nakaya Writer (when pigs fly!)

A toss between:

• Parker Challenger from the 30s
  • Scripto from the 60s

Fernan

What lead do you guys use in your mechanical pencils? The one I used smeared so much, it was horrible. Put me off mechanical pencils for life XD

For both of the above, I got my (assortment of) leads here : http://www.roger-russell.com/scripto.htm#hbtube. This is where I got my Scripto pencils also.

Fernan

If you can find one and afford it, an Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602. On ebay there are usually singles available for between $25 and $35.

Like vintage French champagne, everyone should try a Blackwing at least once. As a total package they are still the best.

Of the pencils that are still produced, Tombow Mono 100 2B. Beautifully made and finished with a rich dark lead.

Arthur,

How thick is the lead in this pilot. Where can you get one of these?

Paul

Paul

The lead is very big, at least 3mm, I use an H lead and it still feels soft.

For the price, around £2.50, is that about $4 Oz? I think its great value.

Google should find one but if there are any problems on shipping to Australia let me know

Graham

Edited for link

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online/pi...uis-pencils.htm

Edited by Arthur

I've been using a Pentel P205 for years but I have a rOtring 600, Staedtler 925 95, Ohto PM-1500s and a Pentel Graphgear 500 all in 0.3mm coming, we shall see!

Nothing wrong with cheapies. I like them too.

I use these in my studio just to have extra pencils around--they have a spring loaded lead so they don't break very often! Check them out here

www.stevelightart.com

Dixon Ticonderoga works fine.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.