Vertical Striated Vacumatic

blueblazes

What do you guys think of this acquisition? I snagged a restored FP and MP set of this vertical striated model. I will post more pics later in the week when I get my camera back from the repair shop. (Actually, I will be posting lots of pics of my pens...finally!).

post-22019-1235557175_thumb.jpg

post-22019-1235557187_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david i

• blueblazes

• sumgaikid

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice! It's the same type of longitudinal striation seen only on the 1934 Vac

models. Yours is post-`39(BD style clip,single-jeweled),a junior set................ :thumbup:

(Waits for the Vac quack to show up to provide further info..............)

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

What do you guys think of this acquisition? I snagged a restored FP and MP set of this vertical striated model. I will post more pics later in the week when I get my camera back from the repair shop. (Actually, I will be posting lots of pics of my pens...finally!).

What's the date code on it? I might wanna buy it :)

d

Very nice! It's the same type of longitudinal striation seen only on the 1934 Vac

models. Yours is post-`39(BD style clip,single-jeweled),a junior set................ :thumbup:

John

It's a different kind of longitudinal striation from that seen on the 1934 Vac.

So it goes... ;)

regards

david

Edited by david i

d

It has a date code of 2 with three dots.

It's pens like this (and the occasional David i photo) that have made

me refocus.

MB can spend all they want on OTT pens and they'll never match

the classic beauty.

d

It has a date code of 2 with three dots.

Cool. Drop me a note and we can talk business. PM here or isaacson@frontiernet.net

regards

david

Is it reverse-trim as well? If so (and even if "just" the unusual longituninal windows,) WOW, that's a nice/unusual/exotic pen.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

What do you guys think of this acquisition? I snagged a restored FP and MP set of this vertical striated model.

Hang on to that set.

No one here would think of taking advantage of you.

So make sure you get multiple opinions of its value before you decide to sell it.

What do you guys think of this acquisition? I snagged a restored FP and MP set of this vertical striated model.

Hang on to that set.

No one here would think of taking advantage of you.

So make sure you get multiple opinions of its value before you decide to sell it.

That's just silly.

I'd take advantage of you in a minute ;)

That's why I post these things front channel. Gets some folks' blood a' boilin'.

-d

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2585x850a.jpg

Edited by david i

John

So it goes... ;)

regards

david

David.is it different in that the striations go all the way around the pen w/out any blacked out portions?

Also,didn't you have something similar on your website(if I remember correctly)?

John

I'm saying get multiple appraisals if you don't know the Fair Market value of something you wish to sell.

That's why they invented auctions.

Buyers offer what they would like to pay.

Ones job as a Seller is to know the value of what they are trying to sell.

Edited by Glenn-SC

John

So it goes... ;)

regards

david

David.is it different in that the striations go all the way around the pen w/out any blacked out portions?

Also,didn't you have something similar on your website(if I remember correctly)?

John

Hi John,

Figured my post would catch your eye :)

You are correct, this time.

The 1933-35 Vacs done with the longitudinal clear stripes are done, it seems, from block rod-stock, a laminate or butcher-block approach to clear and dark plastic. If one were to look at a real butcher block, from the top, one sees layers of different style material

http://www.mapleblock.com/images/midsized/3xInchxIslandxTopxSquarexEdge.JPG

But, from the side, it is apparent one will see only one material.

The early black Vacs of this sort are similarly constructed. Thus, at one angle one sees lines of clear and black, that which was laminated into the rod. But at 90 degree angle one sees only black.

However, the 1940's longit striped pens (whether colored Duofolds, black DF's, or black Vacs... done in black DF plasitc), the rod stock appears to be from a tube, made from a sheet of laminated black(or color) with clear, then wrapped. Thus, the clear lines are visible at all angles.

I'm fond of Black Vacs. Here is the 1933-4 spread of all clarity patterns in first gen pens.

d

http://removed.xyz/penteech/parkervacblackspread.jpg

Edited by david i

Is it reverse-trim as well? If so (and even if "just" the unusual longituninal windows,) WOW, that's a nice/unusual/exotic pen.

greg

It appears to be gold trim, although it would be even nicer if it were reverse trim. =)

I hope you like it. It should be arriving shortly.

Thomas

tbickiii

It's an excellent writer, Thomas. I hope you don't mind that I used your pics to post here. The pen has generated a great deal of interest.

I can honestly say you are lucky that Dr. I didn't see that one on the bay before you. He has beat me to more than one pen on Thomas' auctions.

Great snag. If you decide to trade/sell it, don't worry... Even though David finds many jewels in the rough, he does treat you fairly.

John

So it goes... ;)

regards

david

John

Hi John,

Figured my post would catch your eye :)

You are correct, this time.

The 1933-35 Vacs done with the longitudinal clear stripes are done, it seems, from block rod-stock, a laminate or butcher-block approach to clear and dark plastic. If one were to look at a real butcher block, from the top, one sees layers of different style material

http://www.mapleblock.com/images/midsized/3xInchxIslandxTopxSquarexEdge.JPG

But, from the side, it is apparent one will see only one material.

The early black Vacs of this sort are similarly constructed. Thus, at one angle one sees lines of clear and black, that which was laminated into the rod. But at 90 degree angle one sees only black.

However, the 1940's longit striped pens (whether colored Duofolds, black DF's, or black Vacs... done in black DF plasitc), the rod stock appears to be from a tube, made from a sheet of laminated black(or color) with clear, then wrapped. Thus, the clear lines are visible at all angles.

I'm fond of Black Vacs. Here is the 1933-4 spread of all clarity patterns in first gen pens.

d

http://vacumania.com/penteech/parkervacblackspread.jpg

David,I'm fond of all four of those Vacs--though I just recently acquired an oversize in black w/an

ambered barrel and needing a filler unit replacement(the crown to it is missing).................. :puddle:

It also has a monotone EF nib...................

John