New line of Noodler's Inks

gclark94560

HI All!

As a rank newby to this list I want to say "HI" and start a new thread.

I just got a big box of toys, er, inks from Nathan. The Mail Guy dropped it off on my doorstep.

Nathan has just kicked off a new line of Noodler's inks. He calls them the "Eel" line of inks. This comes from "As slippery as an eel" I guess. He and I have been kicking the topic around for a while and he finally found a foumula that he is happy with.

The inks are foumulated specifically to lubricate piston and plunger filling pens. In addition, Nathan says that any fountain pen nib will slide like butter on paper with these inks.

I don't know yet about the "Bullet Proof" aspects of these inks.

Among other things, I got 5 colors. Eel Turquoise, Greune, Blue, Rattler (Red?) and Cactus.

I also got a "Final Formula" bottle of Polar Black.

I haven't tried any of them as I have had them in my hot little hands for only about 5 minutes. :D

I'll tell more when I know it.

Greg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gclark94560

• KCat

• Titivillus

• Leslie J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Greg! I'd love to hear more about these inks. With my (recent) preference for F and XF nibs, especially in Japanese pens, it would be great to find a new source of lubricating inks. In my Nakaya Koi I find one of the only inks that really flows well is Bexley. More to do with the nib configuration I think, but this would be another benefit of eel inks perhaps.

Plus my flock of Pelikans would all appreciate piston lubricant probably. Hopefully there will be more great colours. Hope you scan or post pics when you can. :)

Never lie to your dog.

Greetings Greg!

Good to see you here. I'm looking forward to your assessment of these inks. Us Pelikan addicts would probably appreciate them. I don't have to use silicone often in most of them but a couple of 'em require more regular dosing. Perhaps because I use them so much and flush them more often than most people do.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Re-post of my message to the Zoss list - here for non-Zossers.

OK! You all have gotten my curiosity up!

So I uncapped the Greune (spelled this way on the bottle) ink and qtipped a paper. It's a very nice forest green type color.

It looks like the sample of Gruene (spelled this way in my notes) Cactus color that Noodlers has.

SOOOO - that brought up the question of what does Noodler's American Eel Cactus ink look like??

Well - it turns out that the bottle actually says Cactus Fruit, and it is a dark cyclamen color

Since I had one more qtip in hand - I wanted to see what the Rattler looked like.

A bright rich fire red edging toward the blood red side. Not an orange red, which I dislike.

It appears that the lubricant causes these inks to fuzz a bit more than other Noodlers inks. This is understandable as the lube probably helps the ink penetrate and flow along the cellulose fibers in the paper.

I think I'll let these dry a bit and then dunk them to see how they do in water.

TTFN!

Greg

TIG

that makes sense on the "Cactus Fruit" - which I imagine is very close to the regular Noodler's Saguaro Wine. SW is one of my favorite Noodler's.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

OK - Noodler's American Eel Ink update number 10092837 (It seems).

I just filled a pen with the Eel Blue. It's a Lamy Safari with a 1.1 italic nib. It writes a bit scratchy, but I love it and it is my every day knock about pen.

First line on paper - WOW! This is really strange. It feels like I am writing with a roller ball on greased paper. Smooth is an inadequate word to describe the feeling.

I think the nib is floating on the paper! I am using fairly good 20 lb inkjet paper.

So I try it on some cheaper orange paper with less surface coat. I feel some tooth, but only 50% of what I expected.

I quickly wiped my hand through the ink - ugg! Not a fast drying ink. Oh well. I like blue hands!

:-)

So the sample I did an hour ago goes into the sink full of cold water. Well - not waterproof. They bleed freely at first. After several minutes about 50% of the ink is still there and the color is unchanged. If soaked, they will bleed on the paper but the info will be intact and easily readable.

I don't recommend these inks for your writing projects on the bottom of the swimming pool. Otherwise - I think they are really cool!

Greg

TIG

OK - Noodler's American Eel Ink update number 10092837 (It seems).

I just filled a pen with the Eel Blue. It's a Lamy Safari with a 1.1 italic nib. It writes a bit scratchy, but I love it and it is my every day knock about pen.

First line on paper - WOW! This is really strange. It feels like I am writing with a roller ball on greased paper. Smooth is an inadequate word to describe the feeling.

I think the nib is floating on the paper! I am using fairly good 20 lb inkjet paper.

So I try it on some cheaper orange paper with less surface coat. I feel some tooth, but only 50% of what I expected.

I quickly wiped my hand through the ink - ugg! Not a fast drying ink. Oh well. I like blue hands!

:-)

So the sample I did an hour ago goes into the sink full of cold water. Well - not waterproof. They bleed freely at first. After several minutes about 50% of the ink is still there and the color is unchanged. If soaked, they will bleed on the paper but the info will be intact and easily readable.

I don't recommend these inks for your writing projects on the bottom of the swimming pool. Otherwise - I think they are really cool!

Greg

TIG

A few questions about these inks. IF they are suppose to lubricate the pistons do they leave a film on the inside of the pen? I'm just thinking that like water based corrosion chemicals they can eventually build up deposits in all the nooks that will eventually need to be cleaned out. Also if there is a lubricant will it change the wetability of the ink ( sounds like it does from your post) that will change how a pen writes?

Kurt H

The easiest way to make a pen write wetter is to flush it will a mix of 250 ml water with a drop of dish soap.

Some people advise dipping the end of a toothpick in dish soap and then dipping that toothpick in a bottle of ink to improve the ink's flow properties. A very small quantity of soap will cause significant changes in how an ink performs

After flushing, refill the pen and you should notice a marked difference in how wet the pen writes and this is especially helpful when you are using a pen that uses a piston convertor.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca