$650,000 loan to start stationery store

kazoolaw

At first I wondered it this story was for real and came to my senses. Banks do not stay in business by making bad loans. They stay in business by making making good ones.

Banks stay in business because of federal bail-out money

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuchsiaprincess

• jpr

• kazoolaw

• Iskender

Indeed they do. But sometimes a "good" loan is not necessarily a good loan by the rules of the bank.

During the First Great Depression (as opposed to the current Great Depression), my grandfather owned a small bank in the Nebraska farming community of Waunita. He was advised by the experts in the field to close his bank several times -- he had too many loans and very little fluid capital left to make new loans. By dickering, wheeling, and dealing he was able to keep his bank open throughout the depression. And prevented many of the local farms from going into bankruptcy.

In the 1940's, all of the bad loans that everyone said would never be repaid got paid. The local farmers were sure going to see that his bank stayed open to help them. He had helped them, they were still around to repay him when times got good again.

I feel that it is a shame that this little tale is a satire. It shows that bankers have gotten too far from the community they live in.

At first I wondered it this story was for real and came to my senses. Banks do not stay in business by making bad loans. They stay in business by making making good ones.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

It's not the first time The Onion has used a fountain pen or stationery in their comic news. Take a look at this article, in which Barack Obama writes a letter using a fountain pen.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/International-Conman-Jump-article.article.jpg

• 1 month later...

I loved that article! I am a little embarrassed to admit that I thought it was for real until I read the posts on this thread! :embarrassed_smile: What can I say?! :roflmho:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My apologies to all those who are waiting for a letter from me! They are on their way, slowly but surely. Last year vanished in a haze of illness, family trauma and then the snow arrived and brought our mail service to a grinding halt! Please forgive me, letters are on their way.

xXx

I love the fact that the Onion is so good at convincing people that it is a genuine piece of news to be taken seriously. No topic is untouchable for the Onion.

The Onion frequently gets very close to the truth without necessarily presenting any facts, if that makes any sense. ;)

The best satire always has.

Is there life before death?

Hi,

Given the current financial climate, I think loans like this were actually happening even though this is a spoof nothing surprises me any more.

Andy

Hi,

Given the current financial climate, I think loans like this were actually happening even though this is a spoof nothing surprises me any more.

Andy

Banks are in the state that they are most likely because of bad business decisions similar to this where they gave loans to people who obviously could not afford to pay it back. Although it is a heartwarming story (even though it's a spoof!), if I was the head of a bank and someone like this came to get a loan from me, I would refuse straight away. This is like flushing money down the toilet :)

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, The Onion is not in the business of publishing factual articles. It's just for a laugh. The specific mention of fountain pen inks makes me suspect it was written by an FP user though.

Well, here's the real thing happening in my neighborhood: http://www.signwithprestige.com/

I convinced her to order noodler's ink. It's been great to see all the colors in person. ;)

Excelsior!

Can you convince her to sell Canteo journals as well? :clap1: