New rules for the Chatter forum

Admin

Dear Henrico :happyberet: ,

it's sad, you lost the joy of participating... :crybaby:

I think it's like it is always in life: individuals create individual experience.

Only to let you know my general attitude towards "Chatter", I quote myself from another thread:

(I don't like too much judging about personal statements...)

"It's friendly talk to (mostly) friendly people. You are free to learn something from their life(style) and thinking. Even if one is not interested in a specific theme, one could estimate the possibility to "jump into". FPN is international - maybe somewhere in the world one is curious about a theme you think of as pollution...

And there are also a lot of "useless" threads on fountainpens, if you ask me...why do some people always FEEL THE NEED

to bash the CHATTER people around? Mixing them up, trolling around, causing trouble, WHY?

We never needed such strict chatter rules, if the :gaah: screaming kind of people :gaah: simply would stay out, leaving the chattering freaks alone....

LIVE AND LET LIVE!

I answered to someone who talked about "Chatter" as polluting FPN. My answer was a little bit counter - offensive :blush:, I fear.

To answer YOUR statement: I understand your frustration, but I am a "free speech freak" and after a year and a half of participating I learned to enjoy some "strange" chatter topics. If I'm not interested, I'm free to ignore... :P

People from all over the world are gathering here, sharing thoughts, questions, knowledge and sometimes feelings.

I appreciate that. Maybe for some people (like me) it's the only internet forum they are using on a daily basis. The mix of male and female mind, newbies and elders, brand focus vs. ink, penmanship, paper focus, the mix of nationality and culture - don't you think it's amazing, that it works?

I second your frustration about members, who want to stay too anonymous (faceless). IMO some show a lack of commitment, only want to grab information, but others are really anxious to show up in public (and the WWW is more publicity, than one could ever control...). As you probably know, there are more and more search engines to find out data about individuals. In Germany we get more and more warnings, not to open up too much personal information in the web. I'm sometimes concerned, when opening up here... :blink: ...it's a tightrope walk...

I hope you will overcome your frustration and "come back" some time. I had my commitment-crisis half a year ago after the annoying crash with a former (faceless) mod. "With a little help of my friends" I could go through my frustration and regain the joy and fun being a (chattering :headsmack: ) member.

I saw you have 370 posts, a committed member. Wouldn't it be a pity loosing you now?

Best regards,

Anna

Edited: grammar problems...what else :rolleyes:

Edited by Gehaha

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gehaha

• jmkeuning

• Hugh200au

• AndyH

Henrico, I chose to stay out of chatter mostly annoyed by the conscious and worst, unconscious attitudes and opinions shown there, but personally, it would be very sad to see you go. Now I discriminate more where to participate and what information about myself is forwarded or not. This is also a fast growing forum, so old members and new ones don't share the same codes. Anyhow, I do favor freedom of speech and just opt out of those post that seem out of place. Chatter is a good place to post some non directly related issues, and self moderation would be ideal, but unfortunately some posts seems to be made just to stir up passions among the numerous and rich variety of members.

I don't always agree with moderator's policies, nor with posters. I'm learning to take what I like from the forum and leave the rest aside. Less visits, more selective....

Stay.

:happyberet: Thanks Gehaha, Ondina and Penspouse for your encouraging words.

What really got me going on this were the sick PM's (2) received from "jurdreda". Not a comfortable feeling when someone can break into the system and send spam. Said to self................"I don't need this".

I spend very little time on the computer in the summer. Our "summer" here as arrived. Too busy with outdoor pastimes. Blogging and the net is a winter activity for me, more or less, and my penmanship practice drops to a low only to start up again late fall.

I will "peek" at FPN from time to time and will return later in the year.

Thanks and Cheers.

Henrico

:happyberet: Thanks Gehaha, Ondina and Penspouse for your encouraging words.

What really got me going on this were the sick PM's (2) received from "jurdreda". Not a comfortable feeling when someone can break into the system and send spam. Said to self................"I don't need this".

I spend very little time on the computer in the summer. Our "summer" here as arrived. Too busy with outdoor pastimes. Blogging and the net is a winter activity for me, more or less, and my penmanship practice drops to a low only to start up again late fall.

I will "peek" at FPN from time to time and will return later in the year.

Thanks and Cheers.

Henrico

Please be aware that "jurdreda" was a ( :sick: characterizations omitted) SPAMMER. That is why he, she or it (might

be an automated program on a compter) was banned. Disgusting spammers are all over the internet.

If you get something like that, it needs to be reported to the Mods, because nobody else wants the stuff either!

• 1 month later...

I made the mistake of focusing into the Chatter more than I should have, for once in a while there were topics that would teach me a lot about subjects I'm not too knowledgeable about. I got really annoyed by many members who would participate in the mud fight or answer very condescendingly to a particular comment/opinion I may have done and one good day I said "Ciao". That's why I stayed so long away... but I missed many of the members and the pen discussions.

So, here I'm back again and I appreciate the new rules. I was amazed, thrilled that there was a CIVIL discussion about GM and economics!!!!! Educational does not mean confrontational nor insultive.

Thanks again. :D

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

It is only imperfection that complains of what is imperfect.

The more perfect we are the more gentle and quiet we become towards the defects of others.

Anna

Edited by Gehaha

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)