Admin

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Wet Squad :notworthy1:

Hello,

would you please be so kind and translate,

what is ment here?

Thank you,

Anna

While the English translation can vary quite a bit, the one which typically makes the most sense to me is "Who will watch the watchmen?" That is, he is wondering who is monitoring the Admins.

Please note: I am no scholar in Latin, I simply happen to have picked up a couple phrases, so correct me if I am wrong!

Well for you, if you wrestle on, for in persistency lies victory, and with the morning may come the wished-for blessing. But not always; there is a struggle with defeat which some of you will have to bear, and it will be well for you if you have cultivated a cheerful equanimity. Remember, too, that sometimes 'from our desolation only does the better life begin.' Even with disaster ahead, it is better to face them with a smile, and with the head erect, than to crouch at their approach. And, if the fight is for principle and justice, even when failure seems certain, where many have failed before, cling to your ideal, and, like Childe Roland before the dark tower, set the slug-horn to your lips, blow the challenge, and calmly await the conflict.

--"Aequanimitas" William Osler

Valedictory Address, University of Pennsylvania, May 1, 1889

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gehaha

• jmkeuning

• Hugh200au

• AndyH

Hello,

what is ment here?

Thank you,

Anna

While the English translation can vary quite a bit, the one which typically makes the most sense to me is "Who will watch the watchmen?" That is, he is wondering who is monitoring the Admins.

Please note: I am no scholar in Latin, I simply happen to have picked up a couple phrases, so correct me if I am wrong!

Dear Moose,

you seem to become my language savior... :thumbup:

What means "wet squad"?

In my dictionary I found every kind of squad but no wet one...?

What does it mean in the context?

Best,

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

I've followed this topic with some interest, for no real reason either. I've come to the following ,obvious, conclussion that everybody wants a friendly and well behaved forum . Some are all for, some for some and some against the new rules ( yes, I know, it's also obvious) ...probably the "for" have the numbers but I haven't counted. The politics/religion seems to be the popular one mentioned and as a possibly contentious subject reminds me of my late mother telling me when young "never discuss politics and religion unless you want an argument" so it does have some historical data to back it up!! While we the users ( or as Kurt put it "guest") don't make the rules I still don't see any major problems with them, and it's unlikely that anybody acting responsibly is going to fall foul of them anyway.

Yet another useless post from

Hugh

Hello,

what is ment here?

Thank you,

Anna

Dear Moose,

you seem to become my language savior... :thumbup:

What means "wet squad"?

In my dictionary I found every kind of squad but no wet one...?

What does it mean in the context?

Best,

Anna

the "wet squad" is a term to describe someone who looks for the negative in a positive action . Similiar to the term "pouring cold water over it" . In this context it means Jim believes the rules are positive and YesIamnotiamnit comment to be negative, or so I read it.

Regards

Hugh

the "wet squad" is a term to describe someone who looks for the negative in a positive action . Similiar to the term "pouring cold water over it" . In this context it means Jim believes the rules are positive and YesIamnotiamnit comment to be negative, or so I read it.

Regards

Hugh

Dear Hugh,

o, I understand! Thank you for the translation - no useless post... :thumbup:

best regards,

Anna

Edited by Gehaha

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

Search this forum for Wet Squad. Search this forum for Murphy Towers.

Just do not tell anyone that you are doing it.

It might also be best to not run those searches from home; perhaps go to an internet cafe.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

WHAT?

:(

Don't believe MYU.

Just do the searches. The answer lies within, and it will all become clear.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

The (non-existent) wet squad (which doesn't exist!) would (had it existed) have been a team used to "liquidate" an opponent.

It is a long running joke. It his just a joke, as the wet squad does not exist.

Plus, you REALLY don't want to meet Fluffy.

Fazby, thank you for getting me back on track.

The Wet Squad does not exist.

If we don't like what the moderators are doing, we can just go off and start our own forum. We aren't bound here.

If we don't like what the moderators are doing, we can just go off and start our own forum. We aren't bound here.

That is so true.

If you don't like what is being done then leave, the admins and mods know better how the site should be run and any dissent is counterproductive.

- don't complain just leave!

K

Dear POSSUM HILL,

with all due respect,

this is a very, very, very, very sad statement and attitude towards members! :blink: :gaah: :sick: :bonk: :mad: :crybaby:

I hope, you can (for a few seconds) imagine, how this may affect (new) members.

I did enter this community because I had the impression, this is a well balanced

"sharing, teaching, learning and caring" community (as far as an internet community is real at all...).

You are right, I don't need to be here. I bound myself. But I really didn't expect the attitude: take it or leave it.

The more participation, the more responsibility, the more respect - but every member IS a member and deserves SOME respect.

"Agree or go" is not appropriate to express a respectful attitude.

I hope, that each and every member will come back soon to a "common sense" way of coping with annoying issues.

Ignore the bad and enforce the good is the right attitude for parents, should also work for co-members in a mod-position.

Best regards,

Anna

P.S. If we don't like what the moderators are doing, we can just go off and start our own forum. We aren't bound here.

I found this sentence so or otherwise in several posts. I would prefer to never read it again. It annoyes me whereever or from whoever.

Edited to add this!

Edited by Gehaha

I would warn against the "shut up or leave" attitude.

Yes, this isn't a "country" or a "public place"; this is a private website. We are "guests" here. But even though we are guests, that does not mean we must necessarily agree with every change made to the rules of conduct here. This site, I think, has been conducted in a fair manner. Being a fair place, there is room for some dissent from the changes. We must abide the rules, but that doesn't mean we have to like or agree with them. We must follow the rules, but we are free to say "you know, I disagree with that".

I give the members here credit-- I think the locals are intelligent and fair-minded for the most part. I think the disrespectful conduct that sometimes haunted chatter was the exception rather than the norm. Therefore I will follow the rules, but also I think they went too far.

These are my views and I stand by them.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

I would warn against the "shut up or leave" attitude.

Why would you do this warning? There is no amount of talking or complaining that is going to change one decision made by the people running the site. All dissent is counterproductive to the smooth operation of the site and as these new rules say is punishible by banishment. So better to not give them more work to do but rather be quiet and leave if you do not like the way the site is being run.

Yes, this isn't a "country" or a "public place"; this is a private website. We are "guests" here. But even though we are guests, that does not mean we must necessarily agree with every change made to the rules of conduct here. This site, I think, has been conducted in a fair manner. Being a fair place, there is room for some dissent from the changes. We must abide the rules, but that doesn't mean we have to like or agree with them. We must follow the rules, but we are free to say "you know, I disagree with that".

I think that is a mistaken assumption- a decision is made and no amount of dissent will make it change. What good is complaining if you know nothing is going to change because of it, the only thing that can happen is flaming or trolling. Look at some of the other threads complaining about changes and you'll see that they produce more bad feelings than good.

As I said before better to quietly leave if you have such a problem with the site rules than to stay and complain about how things are being done. It is only going to cause more work for the volunteers who keep this site operating. We are guests here and if I visited a home and did not agree with how I was told to act then I would pleasantly leave rather than start badgering the owners about how they live their life.

K

Dear POSSUM HILL,

with all due respect,

this is a very, very, very, very sad statement and attitude towards members! :blink: :gaah: :sick: :bonk: :mad: :crybaby:

I hope, you can (for a few seconds) imagine, how this may affect (new) members.

I did enter this community because I had the impression, this is a well balanced

"sharing, teaching, learning and caring" community (as far as an internet community is real at all...).

You are right, I don't need to be here. I bound myself. But I really didn't expect the attitude: take it or leave it.

The more participation, the more responsibility, the more respect - but every member IS a member and deserves SOME respect.

"Agree or go" is not appropriate to express a respectful attitude.

I hope, that each and every member will come back soon to a "common sense" way of coping with annoying issues.

Ignore the bad and enforce the good is the right attitude for parents, should also work for co-members in a mod-position.

Best regards,

Anna

P.S. If we don't like what the moderators are doing, we can just go off and start our own forum. We aren't bound here.

I found this sentence so or otherwise in several posts. I would prefer to never read it again. It annoyes me whereever or from whoever.

Edited to add this!

Wow, "agree or go" is nothing at all like, anywhere near, what I meant. My point is that the changes in chatter rules are no big deal. The moderators aren't coercing us or holding us captive and they aren't taking anything away from us. That we are not bound here means that they have no significant power over us. The new rules seem like plain common sense - avoid subjects where you know your opinions will probably tread on your friends' toes.

This is a tempest in a teapot. Agreeing or disagreeing with the new guidelines doesn't have much potential to affect anyone's life. If I were to worry about the impressions formed by new members I'd be concerned that they'd see this thread and think we're an incorrigibly contentious bunch.

Wow, "agree or go" is nothing at all like, anywhere near, what I meant. My point is that the changes in chatter rules are no big deal. The moderators aren't coercing us or holding us captive and they aren't taking anything away from us. That we are not bound here means that they have no significant power over us. The new rules seem like plain common sense - avoid subjects where you know your opinions will probably tread on your friends' toes.

This is a tempest in a teapot. Agreeing or disagreeing with the new guidelines doesn't have much potential to affect anyone's life. If I were to worry about the impressions formed by new members I'd be concerned that they'd see this thread and think we're an incorrigibly contentious bunch.

Dear Possum Hill,

You know what?

This whole issue teaches me a lot about FPN.

Maybe it takes 200 postings to learn, which member I have to take serious

and which one not. :bunny01: I even know now, that the Wet Squad doesn't exist at all. :ninja: And this I take VERY serious... :o

"Tempest in a teapot" is a very nice word to describe it. It seems to me, that some guys need some more excitement here...

And silly chickens like me get trapped...

Now look what I have for you (with kind regards):

The chicken is thinking (while leaving the teapot): I am an eagle, I am an eagle, I am an eagle...

(All rights reserved by Peter Gaymann, Germany, a well known artist, taken from his website - just to obey the new rules ;) )

Let's go ahead now.

Best

Anna

Edited by Gehaha

We are guests here and if I visited a home and did not agree with how I was told to act then I would pleasantly leave rather than start badgering the owners about how they live their life.

K

I believe a closer analogy is that of a shopping mall: private property, opened to the public. As it takes on more attributes of the "public square" the owners are deemed to grant, and the users acquire, certain limited rights. Traditionally, this included free speech.

There is indeed no point to badgering. But a few well spoken words may in fact change hearts and minds. That process of change would take place unseen, given that the rules stop open debate. That does not, however, mean that no change will occur.

gary

• 1 month later...

:happyberet: I have been toying with the idea of ending my partcipation in this web site. I have removed information about myself. Like in many other blogs, there appears to be a few individuals who wish to stray off topic (OT) and express opinions on matters that are not relevant. The resulting dialogues, more often than not, create tension in a forum that should be quite tension free, after all, what is there about fountain pens to fight over. The CHATTER forum opens up all sorts of possibilities for irrelevant discussions and as a result, members disappear and for good reason. I don't understand why we need CHATTER. Can't we have one blog site without a forum to blow off steam about politics and religion? I put the blame on the administrators for allowing this.

Another reason why I am quitting this blog is I never know who I am communicating with, not a name, not a town where the member lives, not an age, not a photo, absolutely nothing, not even gender. I can't talk with faceless people and I end up losing interest. This has cured me from blogging probably ever again. I don't see the point of many topics that appear here and some have become too repetitious, quite frankly.

I have enjoyed chatting with a few of you even when faceless and thank you for that.

Make all the rules you wish moderators, I'm out. If you removed CHATTER, no more rules would be required and your job would be easier and the hot-heads would go elsewhere. Take some advice for a change.

Henrico