Staples Bagasse paper rules!

Mrsal

I almost didn't find this paper, so I am going to try to include a photo. It is "bagesse" paper, but it is called "Eco-Friendly" or "Eco Easy." I was really shocked when I actually wrote on it. It is amazing. It also has a little bit of a rippling in it. I think onion skin paper is like this. It is very thin, but incredibly smooth. It is really amazing.

post-593-1235842959_thumb.jpg

post-593-1235842942_thumb.jpg

Would you be able to post the Staples item number? Staples can't "find" the loose leaf without the item code

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gothmeister

• Inka

• bardharlock

• declanh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I almost didn't find this paper, so I am going to try to include a photo. It is "bagesse" paper, but it is called "Eco-Friendly" or "Eco Easy." I was really shocked when I actually wrote on it. It is amazing. It also has a little bit of a rippling in it. I think onion skin paper is like this. It is very thin, but incredibly smooth. It is really amazing.

Would you be able to post the Staples item number? Staples can't "find" the loose leaf without the item code

College ruled loose leaf : #730893

First of all, thank you for the heads up.

Lovely paper to write on and the price is awesome.

It is however thin, and even without any ink bleeding to the other side, it is not easy to use both sides as you can see through.

But the quality is amazing. No bleeding at all even with nibs that deliver ink like a hose.

Never found the padded papers, but I have a comp notebook and a wirebound notebook. I am reminded of the Moleskine debate: Whereas I've so far not had bad luck with the Moleskine notebooks (some of the cahiers are a different story), I find myself avoiding the bagasse paper because of the fat lines my fine nibs emit when when writing on it. For me, the paper encourages too much spreading.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

First of all, thank you for the heads up.

Lovely paper to write on and the price is awesome.

It is however thin, and even without any ink bleeding to the other side, it is not easy to use both sides as you can see through.

But the quality is amazing. No bleeding at all even with nibs that deliver ink like a hose.

Never found the padded papers, but I have a comp notebook and a wirebound notebook. I am reminded of the Moleskine debate: Whereas I've so far not had bad luck with the Moleskine notebooks (some of the cahiers are a different story), I find myself avoiding the bagasse paper because of the fat lines my fine nibs emit when when writing on it. For me, the paper encourages too much spreading.

Here is a scan of a page of the filler paper on which I tried out my pens, most of which are loaded w/ various PR inks. I wrote on both sides of the sheet. There is definitely some see-through, though not nearly as much as I'd expected.

post-25988-1236637244_thumb.jpg

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/joep0001/viscontilogoexs.jpg

me

I love the stuff, but I was only able to find the wide ruled and I prefer the college ruled loose leaf. If anyone has some college that they would like to trade for wide ruled, give me a holler. I also have the wide ruled pads if anyone is interested in trading for those.

I finally managed to score a pristine composition book and I am most pleased. Lovely paper, again thank you to the person who initially sent me some to try!

I love the feel of this paper and I am most impressed by the dry time. Much quicker than the Rhodia that I had been using.

Kathryn

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

Last evening I went to the Evansville, IN Staples and bought some bagasse (Staple's eco-friendly) paper--writing legal pads (large & small), loose leaf, and composition notebook (with plain brown cover). Tried it out when I got home. Unbelievably smooth! Even though it's thin, it had absolutely no bleed-through nor feathering. I used EF, F and M nibs from Parker, Pilot, Lamy, Dollar & Cross FPs and Noodler's BP Black, Cross Blue-Black, PR Copper Burst inks. Even the Cross BB ink didn't feather! There is see-through because the paper is so thin but no bleed-through, not even the periods or dots! I like it better than the first Rhodia pad I bought just last week.

College ruled loose leaf : #730893

weird.... their website can't find the item by number either...

-- Luis

You'll need to use the Staples "Model Number" and not the Item Number, to find them on the Staples Website.

E.g.; Staples Eco-friendly Writing Pads, Item: 749567 and Model: 16767.

Staples Eco-friendly Composition Notebook, Item: 749566 and Model: 16768.

Notebook; 9-1/2" x 6", Item: 749565 and Model: 16769.

Notebook; 8-1/2" x 11", Item: 749563 and Model: 16770.

If you use the Model Number you should be able to find it by using their Search box.

I hope that helps.

;)

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

A few days ago I was in Walgreen's to pick up a prescription. I decided to take a look in the stationary section to see if they had anything interesting. On a whim, I grabbed a pack of filler paper. I've been using the paper for the last few days, and I think it's the same type of paper as the Bagasse paper from Staples.

It's thin, has a very smooth surface, and ink just doesn't bleed through it. It has a translucent look to it. Everything about it matches what I'm reading about the Bagasse paper in this thread.

The brand name is "Penway". It comes in a 285 sheet shrink-wrapped package (surprisingly thin), and "Item #563962" is printed just above the UPC code. (I bought the college ruled paper. I believe there was wide ruled paper available as well.) It's distributed by East West Distributing Co., Deerfield, IL. I paid $3.49 for the pack.

I'm going to get to a Staples sometime soon, and will post an update on how this paper compares to the Bagasse if anyone's interested.

-- Dave

You'll need to use the Staples "Model Number" and not the Item Number, to find them on the Staples Website.

If you use the Model Number you should be able to find it by using their Search box.

I hope that helps.

;)

thank you for the clarification !!

does anyone have the "model number" for the loose leaf sheets (Item #730893) ??

Thanks !!

-- Luis

I hope that helps.

;)

thank you for the clarification !!

does anyone have the "model number" for the loose leaf sheets (Item #730893) ??

Thanks !!

Try 16497 which is listed on the package sheet.

Mike

On the materials that this paper comes packaged in, they list a special website for all their eco-easy stuff. Looking through this sub-site makes it easier to find, as opposed to going through their full portal. The web address is www.staples.com/ecoeasy.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Try 16497 which is listed on the package sheet.

Mike

funny! mine has 16498 listed??? and the item number on mine is also different from Luis' (mine is 730891)

Edited by lovemy51

Sometimes I feel like I live in a different paper universe than most people on these pen lists. I bought a sampling of the Staples "Eco-Friendly" bagasse paper - and I probably would have been more enthused if it weren't for the build-up this paper has achieved.

Using my everyday pen, a Waterman Phileas with Noodler's Manhattan Blue, it goes down nicely enough with no feathering and amazingly quick drying. However, it is extremely thin paper and the ink shows up noticeably on the other side of the paper for the notepads, the 8.5 x 11 inch pads are made of sterner stuff, and there's very little show-thru in the sprial bound books (such variation?) - No bleed per se but the thinless lends itself to some transparency.

But more to the point, the paper is not aesthetically pleasing, certainly not compared to Rhodia or Clairefontaine papers - users of the latter do not expect something in that category! The paper is waxy, crinkly, and has the feel and consistency of, well, crepe paper is the nearest I can describe. It's also stiff - not in the way card stock is stiff because it's thick - but stiff like - um, crepe paper. It's thin. I said that.

The waxiness was particularly noticeable when I used a gel pen (Zebra Sarasa 0.5 mm), and it seemed to make the line thinner.

On the other hand, don't get me wrong. It beats the pants off any type of recycled paper, waxy post-it paper, and many other papers you might randomly pick up at a chain office store or dollar store. It does not, imho, even compete with Staples Gold Fibre paper (well, the good type, it also seems to vary). The Eco-Friendly paper has its own interesting characteristics and, while I'm not sorry I now have a nice stock of it (it'll have its uses and does have good feathering characteristics) - it's not in the same league as Clairefontaine & Rhodia.

In contrast, I constantly read complaints about Moleskine paper, yet I have yet to encounter the problems described (I do tend to use ligher inks and very fine nibs). A naive reader of these posts might be given to think Staples paper good Moleskine paper bad, and I think that would be a serious mistaken impression. Given the creamy color and aesthetic nature of the paper in Moleskines, they are in a different league.

However, Staples' bagasse paper IS cheap. And I do mean economical. As in cheap. And, it's claimed to be ecological, and the story they tell does have face validity for that. It's a novelty, it's good, but let's not go overboard.

Edited by HBlanchard

The Staples paper is cheap and reliable. It was never designed or meant to compete with Rhodia or Clairefontaine. Used an intended, as cheap notebook or filler paper, it's excellent. It has the added value of being very good for fountain pens. Expecting this paper to be Rhodia or Clairefontaine will lead to disappointment. OTOH, what someone uses Clairefontaine or Rhodia for and what they use the bagasse paper for might well be two different things. It is for me.

I don't use the Staples paper for journals or any writing that has to be kept for permanent records, such as project or meeting notes. The paper is likely to become brown and brittle over time. I wouldn't use it for formal correspondence; it's cheap, it looks cheap. But it wasn't designed for those purposes. What it was designed for, and what I use it for, is for notes and drafts, for kicking around ideas, for doodling, for things that Rhodia, Clairefontaine are too expensive for. The Staples paper is stuff you can use up and toss. Everyone has different needs for the paper they use, but IMO comparing Staples bagasse to Clairefontaine and Rhodia, is comparing apples to oranges. They were designed to do different things at a vastly different price points.

Well, I spent almost forty-five minutes going around and around the Canterbury Staples "super"-store and could find no Eco-Friendly paper of any kind, other than recycled paper.

Ah, well, I knew I wouldn't.

http://www.myspace.com/gothmeister

http://www.gothmeister-imaging.com

http://www.facebook.com/gothmeister

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

"And fighting time so hard I pray that this moment lasts forever and will the world stay standing still, at least, for me...." --- "Standing" VNV Nation

I stopped at Staple's today and picked up a selection of their "eco-friendly" Bagasse paper. I'd previously purchased a pack of "Penway" filler paper at Walgreen's, and the descriptions of Staple's Bagasse paper that I read here sounded a lot like the Penway paper.

Comparing the two, I find that the Staple's paper is a bit brighter and slightly less translucent. There are also minor differences, like one less rule line from the bottom of the Penway paper, and the Penway paper being punched about 1/4" closer to the edge than the Staple's paper. Performance-wise the two papers are equivalent, but the Penway paper looks cheaper. Staple's Bagasse is less expensive and is available in many more formats. I see no reason to select the Penway paper over the Bagasse.

-- Dave

I finally had a Staples open nearby a couple of weeks ago, so I picked up a couple of legal pads. I like them. I wasn't expecting Rhodia quality, but for everyday note-taking and doodling, they are great. No bleed through as with most legal pads I've tried.