Staples Bagasse paper rules!

Mrsal

I almost didn't find this paper, so I am going to try to include a photo. It is "bagesse" paper, but it is called "Eco-Friendly" or "Eco Easy." I was really shocked when I actually wrote on it. It is amazing. It also has a little bit of a rippling in it. I think onion skin paper is like this. It is very thin, but incredibly smooth. It is really amazing.

post-593-1235842959_thumb.jpg

post-593-1235842942_thumb.jpg

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gothmeister

• Inka

• bardharlock

• declanh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I almost didn't find this paper, so I am going to try to include a photo. It is "bagesse" paper, but it is called "Eco-Friendly" or "Eco Easy." I was really shocked when I actually wrote on it. It is amazing. It also has a little bit of a rippling in it. I think onion skin paper is like this. It is very thin, but incredibly smooth. It is really amazing.

The onionskin paper that I have seems to be about half as thick as the Staples paper.

I picked up some of the smaller-sized notepads during my last Staples trip.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/3325432023_c6b1d3a0c9.jpg

I found it to be very friendly with all of the pens I tried. The paper is a little toothy, but not unpleasantly so.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3631/3326268808_70d24c5e95.jpg

(not color adjusted or anything, just a quick scan)

My one gripe is that the perforations at the top of the page are pretty crappy. Every time I try to tear off a sheet, it rips instead of coming off cleanly. Besides that, it is great writing paper.

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

I found it to be very friendly with all of the pens I tried. The paper is a little toothy, but not unpleasantly so.

I found mine to be uncommonly smooth, even a bit slick. I wonder how much variation there is in this paper.

My one gripe is that the perforations at the top of the page are pretty crappy. Every time I try to tear off a sheet, it rips instead of coming off cleanly. Besides that, it is great writing paper.

Cheers,

A.J.

I had the same problem. I found I had to start the tear very carefully at one side and tear the sheet off slowly, without lifting it up, to avoid ripping the paper. All things considered it's a fairly minor inconvenience. I find it to be an interesting paper with a very crisp quality that I like.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer, (1820-1903) British author, economist, philosopher.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I found mine to be uncommonly smooth, even a bit slick. I wonder how much variation there is in this paper.

Cheers,

A.J.

I had the same problem. I found I had to start the tear very carefully at one side and tear the sheet off slowly, without lifting it up, to avoid ripping the paper. All things considered it's a fairly minor inconvenience. I find it to be an interesting paper with a very crisp quality that I like.

After trying out the composition notebooks, I purchased a 12-pack of the legal pads. I loved the composition notebooks: the paper was extremely smooth and handled all of my pens and inks very well. There was absolutely no feathering or bleed-through. The legal pads I have are not as nice as the composition notebooks. I've tried paper from each pad in the 12-pack and it is all the same: very toothy and much more absorbent. It even feels rougher to the touch. The paper still handles my pens well, but I sometimes get a (little but still noticeable) bit of feathering with broad nibs; there is not any bleed-through, however. I also have had the problem with the perforations at the top of the page which is a pet peeve of mine.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this kind of tactile variation. Is it just the legal pads that are different? Or is there variation across the board?

So far I've only tried the binder paper and that's very smooth to write upon.

My Staples doesn't carry the writing pads, at least not yet, and I didn't want to buy a 12 pack.

Glad I'm getting this feedback prior to putting out the $12.99 for the 12 pack online.

My Staples is doing some in-house remodeling and many items were marked down for clearance.

So instead of buying the 3 types of sugarcane paper they did have in stock I just bought 2 packs of college ruled binder for now.

I ended up getting several Markings Gold Fibre journals, normally costing @ $10-$20 each, for only $1-$2.50 each.

Now I have a stockpile of nice journals, tested one and the paper is excellent for fountain pens and one even has a dip pen and ink bottle embossed into the cover.

If Staples ever comes out with unmarked sugarcane paper I plan on making a sketchbook out of it, since drawing on the binder paper is a true joy with FPs.

I've been considering putting in a written request in to the Staples Corporate offices, for some unmarked or blank Sugarcane Bagasse paper for just such use.

Maybe if we all write in and request it collectively we can make it happen?

Ask and we may receive!

Just a thought but seems that all of us having tried this paper with FPs would really like to see that happen now.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Cheers,

A.J.

After trying out the composition notebooks, I purchased a 12-pack of the legal pads. I loved the composition notebooks: the paper was extremely smooth and handled all of my pens and inks very well. There was absolutely no feathering or bleed-through. The legal pads I have are not as nice as the composition notebooks. I've tried paper from each pad in the 12-pack and it is all the same: very toothy and much more absorbent. It even feels rougher to the touch. The paper still handles my pens well, but I sometimes get a (little but still noticeable) bit of feathering with broad nibs; there is not any bleed-through, however. I also have had the problem with the perforations at the top of the page which is a pet peeve of mine.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this kind of tactile variation. Is it just the legal pads that are different? Or is there variation across the board?

I saw the 12-packs of legal pads on the website. However, my store carries an 8-pack of letter size pads, 50 sheets per pad for a modest $5.99. I found the paper quite smooth, and that it performed well with all of my inked pens. Item # on package is 751460. The package states it is made in Egypt.

The microperf does not tear very cleanly. Oops: I just learned a trick. Looking at it under a bright light, the perfs are about 1/8" away from the binder strip at the top. Carefully fold backwards at the perf line once, and it tears quite cleanly. If you tear ay the brown binder strip, you (or at least I) get quite a mess.

I saw the 12-packs of legal pads on the website. However, my store carries an 8-pack of letter size pads, 50 sheets per pad for a modest $5.99. I found the paper quite smooth, and that it performed well with all of my inked pens. Item # on package is 751460. The package states it is made in Egypt.

The microperf does not tear very cleanly. Oops: I just learned a trick. Looking at it under a bright light, the perfs are about 1/8" away from the binder strip at the top. Carefully fold backwards at the perf line once, and it tears quite cleanly. If you tear ay the brown binder strip, you (or at least I) get quite a mess.

I just tried entering the number of 751460 on the Staples Website and all I get is an error, item not found.

I looked all over my local store for that 8-pack, even asked management, no one has seen it there.

Getting an 8-pack for @ $5.99 is cheaper than 12 for $12.99 or $.75 per pad vs $1.08 each.

Maybe that's why my store doesn't carry them since they'll make more money on the 12 packs.

Usually save more with higher bulk, so this seems contrary to the norm.

I'm on Live Chat with Staples right now, trying to find it.

I've noticed that some items Staples sells actually cost me more than the manufacturers MSRP.

For example, I ordered some new lined pads for my Day-Timer directly from Day-Timer of PA, for $4.99 x 2 24 sheets Desk inserts and Staples wants $5.29 for the exact same item.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

BTW, great tip on the distance from the binder strip and creasing paper first.

Thanks!

I just tried entering the number of 751460 on the Staples Website and all I get is an error, item not found.

I looked all over my local store for that 8-pack, even asked management, no one has seen it there.

Getting an 8-pack for @ $5.99 is cheaper than 12 for $12.99 or $.75 per pad vs $1.08 each.

Maybe that's why my store doesn't carry them since they'll make more money on the 12 packs.

Usually save more with higher bulk, so this seems contrary to the norm.

I'm on Live Chat with Staples right now, trying to find it.

My store doesn't carry the 12-pack that you purchased. They also appear not to carry the packages of loose, 3-hole filler paper that some have bought at other stores (or I didn't hunt hard enough). I also didn't see that item on the corporate website when I looked. I generally don't like Staples as well as OfficeMax, but I wanted to try this paper.

You guys are giving me paper cravings!!! You'll probably start talking about pizza and chocolate next. http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/4.gif

Is this the right paper on Staples website?

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_...es_10051_SEARCH

Yes or one of them. They have at least 3 notebook sizes, and letter-sized legal pads. Others have mentioned half-sized legal pads and loose-leaf filler paper. The common denominator is that ALL mention on the package that they are made from 80% sugar cane waste. You have to ask for eco-friendly paper; the clerks don't recognize sugar cane or bagasse, BUT you have to see the reference to sugar cane to get the right stuff..

There are also boxes of copy paper under the eco-friendly label, but they are just recycled paper. They say nothing about sugar cane.

The branding is confusing and the clerks aren't much help.

After contacting Staples today via "Live Chat" I was informed that the 8-pack bagasse 50-sheet Writing Pads for $5.99 are only available in stores, not available online.

When I had told the rep that the manager of my Staples store said they didn't carry it, she looked up my store and said they have cases of the 8-pack/$5.99 in stock.

:gaah:

I'll need to go back again tomorrow, with the stock number in hand, was told I should then insist that the manager check the store computer for where it's located in the store.

She told me if they refused that I should call Corporate from their phone or if they don't let me to call from my cell phone and tell a supervisor about it, that they'll call and get them to do as asked "or else".

I had asked an assistant manager there at my Staples store last night if he could look it up on their computers and he said their systems don't work that way. :hmm1:

The online Staples rep also told me that's absolutely not true and that they can use the store computers to find product and where it's located in the store, telling me again that my store shows they have plenty on hand!

;)

As for the possibility for us getting unmarked or blank sugarwaste paper, I was given the Corporate # to contact them and put in new product requests such as this.

With any luck, and maybe if we all do the same and make this request, they may just do what we ask since it would definitely increase their profits and give us a product we would really like to see available.

The number the Staples rep gave me, for Corporate and for putting in new product type requests is:

"Staples Corporate offices:

You can contact our corporate offices at 877-235-9088 to make a suggestion."

It would be great if we all pull together and got them to make some totally unmarked, no holes, no perforations, no glued pads, just blank white loose-leaf paper more like copy & printer paper, in the same 80% Sugarcane Waste!

I'd LOVE to get some for sketching, drawing, even for writing letters to friends and family, just as long as it remains every bit as fountain pen and ink friendly as the stuff I have now is.

To me, that would be awesome!

I'm calling Staples Corporate first thing in the morning, to put in my "no line/no holes/no perforations/no glued pads/blank white sugarcane paper" request.

I'll probably even snail-mail a hand written follow-up letter too, using the college ruled binder bagasse I now have, so they can see first-hand what I'm talking about.

Thanks! I never thought about folding it back first, although that seems self-evident now. D'oh!

Finally found the 8-paks of 8-1/2"x11" Writing pads for only $5.99!

When I went to Staples today, to pick up some Day-Timer lined paper I'd ordered, I looked around again for the pads.

First I went down the normal paper isle, where I'd found my binder paper; Writing Pads were still not there even though they'd rearranged the entire store since Monday.

Then I'd walked around to the right side of store, where they keep the cotton paper, envelopes, binders, photo paper and finally saw a sign which read "Writing Pads".

Low and behold, right in there with the Gold Fibre pads, AmPads and other writing pads were the 8-packs of Bagasse or "Eco-Friendly" Writing Pads! Oh yeah; finally!!!

:thumbup:

So I grabbed an 8-pack of them, came home and put one in my brown leather pad holder but haven't tried writing on them yet.

Just wanted to post this first, just in case anyone else had or still has trouble finding the same in their local Staples, looking in the paper section as I've done several times.

It never even occurred to me that Staples would have a separate section for the writing Pads, since all the journals, notebooks, composition books and other paper were all on the other isle.

I did scans of the wrapped package, then scanned the insert with the paper type on front and paper descriptions on the back.

Here are the pads in the packaging [sorry if they're difficult to read; I'd downsized the pictures to meet the FPN rules on picture size limits]...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Staples-Writing-Pads-front.jpg

I hope my quest to find this paper and this information helps those still looking for these pads at their local Staples stores.

I also hope the descriptions on the insert back shows clearly enough what it say about this paper.

I have a 24" Wide-Screen monitor that I can read it all clearly on but very I'm aware many have much smaller monitors.

My apologies if it's too small to make out, so if you let me know you can't read it I will do my best to translate and post the descriptions.

Well I'm off now, to try out my new Sugarcane Waste Writing Pads [Eco-Friendly in Staples terminology].

I'll come back later with some new scans, with some fresh fountain pen writing on a page.

This is awesome, no holes in the pages like my binder paper has; can't wait to give them a try.

:vbg:

Many thanks, to everyone that helped me get this paper and to those that made the recommendations to try them out.

You people are tops in my book and this forum is the best for fountain pen users I've ever found.

Thanks again and I'll be back when I can, with updates on this new batch and type [for me] of sugarcane bagasse paper.

B)

And here's a scan of the front and back insert, cut/pasted together to form one sheet...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Eco-Friendly-Writing-Pads.jpg

Congrats on finally tracking these down, Inka! I think you'll enjoy the paper a lot.

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

I like this paper, but don't really like legal style pads--don't like that left side margin. I like the Staples spiral bound "Eco-friendly 1 subject notebook" (Item #749565). One hundred sheets of lined micro-perforated pages (6" x 9.5"). Square corners and no vertical lines.

Carefully torn out, these pages are great stationery for informal correspondence. My local Staples doesn't seem to carry these anymore so I'm ordering some. $2.99 per notebook.

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

I like this paper, but don't really like legal style pads--don't like that left side margin. I like the Staples spiral bound "Eco-friendly 1 subject notebook" (Item #749565). One hundred sheets of lined micro-perforated pages (6" x 9.5"). Square corners and no vertical lines.

Carefully torn out, these pages are great stationery for informal correspondence. My local Staples doesn't seem to carry these anymore so I'm ordering some. $2.99 per notebook.

WHAT???? :o No holes? No left hand margin? No vertical lines? Square corners as opposed to rounded corners? :headsmack:

SOME fountain pens users are not only peculiar they are very particular! :roflmho: :ltcapd:

Cedar