Jane Austen's Ink Recipe

Wildoaklane

Now, to keep my husband from drinking the beer before it has a chance to go stale, hmmmm, that's a hard one! If I follow the recipe, I have to sit it in the chimney corner. How does one keep the cat out of it then? :meow:

Put a plate over it? :meow: I assume it's the warmth from the chimney that's wanted and not the ash?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wildoaklane

• jbb

• liapuyat

• tawanda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My understanding is that steel pen nibs were not commonly available until after the 1830s. From about 1810 till then they were a luxury item.

I must find out what they did in early Australia for ink. First, there are no oak trees here. Secondly there is no stale beer...

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gifDoes that mean no beer sat around long enough to get stale? http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gif

Precisely...

It would be interesting to know what they made ink of in Australia.

I suspect that early on the ink would have been shipped out from England, at least for official and commercial correspondence.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

dcwaites: Does sumac or rhubarb grow in Australia? Those and tea are alternative sources of tannin and have been used to make ink.

Paddler: Wikipedia has a good article with pics of oak galls. They tend to grow down on the smaller branches of the tree where the leaf buds would normally form had it not been for some pesky wasps laying their eggs.

Now, to keep my husband from drinking the beer before it has a chance to go stale, hmmmm, that's a hard one! If I follow the recipe, I have to sit it in the chimney corner. How does one keep the cat out of it then? :meow:

I have made iron-tea ink using well-boiled tealeaves, vinegar and steel wool. It makes a practical ink that while thin, is grey to black and is permanent and waterproof.

Proper iron-gall ink uses tannic (or preferably gallic) acid, rather than tannins. However, the tannins do work, just not as well.

I suspect that the idea of the stale beer is to oxidise the alcohol to get vinegar.

As for the chimney corner, don't forget this is at a time when the fireplaces would have been in constant use, and a corner of the chimney would keep the beer warm to aid the oxidation.

Cats would have kept themselves at an optimal distance from the fireplace.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

What would happen if one used regular beer instead of stale beer?

Hmmm...Paddler would probably know. Maybe something to do with the need to oxidize the iron thus producing color? (caveat: I am not, nor do I pretend to be a chemist)

Edited by Wildoaklane

Think only of the past as its remembrance brings you pleasure. J. Austen

What would happen if one used regular beer instead of stale beer?

Hmmm...Paddler would probably know. Maybe something to do with the need to oxidize the iron thus producing color?

Maybe the ink would start slurrrrrrrrring yourr worrrds. :roflmho:

Just found this thread!

I am a HUGE Austen fan. So much so that I studied her works for over three years at university and wrote a final year dissertation on evidence of marriage customs as seen through her works; 20,000 words, it nearly killed me! I spent weeks in Bath and its environs re-tracing her footsteps. I also sat in her very kitchen (not open to the public) at Chawton Cottage for a day writing and researching. Talk about atmosphere!

Then I trundled my wheelchair a few hundred yards to the church where her mother and sister are buried and spent another day studying in Chawton Great House Library, next to the churchyard. It was once her brother Edward's house (he was adopted by some wealthy, childless relatives) Google 'Chawton House Library' to see it.

It was he who gave Chawton Cottage to Jane, Cassandra and their mother, after their father died leaving them almost destitute and homeless. It was part of the Chawton Estate he had inherited.

The British Library has on permanent display her writing desk, pen (quill), glasses and a letter written in her own hand. Whenever I'm in London, I'm often found with my nose pressed to the glass of the display cabinet!

Oh, and as for the film 'Becoming Jane' it is 99% fiction! On the other hand, for an absolutely faithful portrayal of her life watch 'Miss Austen Regrets' It is awesome.

Now back to Northanger Abbey...

Tawanda

What a bunch o' (Potty Mouth).

Okay, if you insist on an editorial, I'll now try this on for size:

What a bunch o' junk

Lap

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Tawanda, sounds like some wonderful experiences! Yes, agreed on 'Miss Austen Regrets' where some liveliest effusions of wit and humour are displayed :roflmho:

I take it you're a big fan too wildoaklane? I only wish I could write a tenth as good as her. Sheer genius. Waht a pity she died so young.

I wonder, if she were around today, would she still use pen and ink or be a techno-buff? What would her favourite olour ink be, do you think?

Is there any existing manuscript sample of Jane's work? Would the ink have gone from black to a kind of sepia since their time? Or would it have remained black? What was the composition and quality of their writing paper at the time?

I know, so many questions. In those days people wrote and sent letters daily.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

Is there any existing manuscript sample of Jane's work? Would the ink have gone from black to a kind of sepia since their time? Or would it have remained black? What was the composition and quality of their writing paper at the time?

I know, so many questions. In those days people wrote and sent letters daily.

Like you, I always have lots of questions about these things. I can give you some brief responses and will leave details to my more informed colleagues here on FPN. In one of her letters to her sister, Cassandra, J.A. refers to the fine lined paper she had. This would indicate she wrote on more than one kind of paper. Here is a link posted previously here on FPN by HDoug which shows her handwriting. I'd like to know what others think about the ink color as my monitor is not the best.

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/ttpbooks.html

Lovely handwriting!

On my monitor it looks like it started out black originally and just became a very dark brown but still dark. The lines are pretty crisp!

Now I am curious as to how people cut their quills in those days... (and what feathers were commonly used then. Goose? Pheasant?)

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

If my memory serves me right, the ink had faded to a browny grey-black, but was still quite legible. And, yes, she had beautiful writing.

I'm off to London again in March - this time researching things for my PhD, not on Austen, sadly. But I will pop into the British Library again and take intricate notes for you all over the pond. (Don't think I'm allowed to take photos, but I'll ask)

edited for appalling spellling

Edited by tawanda

I am a HUGE Austen fan. So much so that I studied her works for over three years at university and wrote a final year dissertation on evidence of marriage customs as seen through her works; 20,000 words, it nearly killed me! I spent weeks in Bath and its environs re-tracing her footsteps. I also sat in her very kitchen (not open to the public) at Chawton Cottage for a day writing and researching. Talk about atmosphere!

What a lovely experience!

Have you read (or seen) The Jane Austen Book Club?

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I enjoyed watching "The Jane Austen Book Club" on dvd. It makes me think I should read my books over again. The last time I opened Pride and Prejudice was when the BBC mini-series came out (yes, the one with Colin Firth in it). It's one of those books I re-read once every so often.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

Blue galls are basically oak galls and believe it or not, I found some on ebay! Yes, I plan to make it as soon as I can get the beer stale and the copperas (iron sulphate).

BTW, you can find copperas at garden shops. "Hi-Yield" (yellow bag w/ red lettering) is a likely brand -- I think a 5 lb. sack runs around $4-5.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

What a lovely experience!

Have you read (or seen) The Jane Austen Book Club?

I also am a huge Jane Austen fan and that is what drew me to this interesting post. I've seen The Jane Austen Book Club and found it enjoyable in most parts. It really made me want to start a book club after watching it!

I never knew Jane Austen made her own ink. I've read many of her letters online and find them to be extremely insightful into the time period she lived in, the culture and what she was like as a person. I think she is a brilliant writer and wish her life wouldn't have been cut short so we could enjoy more of her literature.

I hope Wildoaklane will share the results of the ink making in the future!

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

I studied writing with Karen Joy Fowler, so I am always happy when people enjoyed either the book or movie she wrote. I'd love a book club like the one in The Jane Austen Book Club. Plus? Hugh Dancy. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse