Parker 51 Signet, BROAD NIB

vermiculus

An English Parker 51 Signet

With a broad flexible nib

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/signet003Small.jpg

Dear all,

This is a really luxurious pen. It writes as good as it looks, and it looks very well indeed.

The Pen

This is a mid-1950s style English Parker 51 (Aerometric) Signet, with short clip and "press 4 times" sac-guard imprint.

Please compare to various listings at David Isaacson's fabulous (bleep) sales page here to get a feel for where it fits into the 51 range.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/signet001Small.jpg

General Condition - Really very good indeed. In no particular order:

Dings: Haven't found any!

Surface: very nice, and I gave it a quick gentle polish to refresh it too.

Brassing: Nope, not a spot

Jewel: present and correct

Posting marks? Nope

Clutch ring: Gold wash intact and unscuffed

Hood: no shrinkage, cracks or other problems. A nice pointy tip to it, too.

Cap: Nice and tight fit, no dings, great imprint including the "R. Gold" designation.

Did I forget anything? If so, ask...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/signet004Small.jpg

Filling system - Fully overhauled and cleaned. The sac's replaced for good measure, the tube polished up and cleared, the collector toothbrushed and all the rest. It has been thoroughly tested and performed very satisfactorily.

Nib

It's actually a flexi broad nib. It writes a 0.7mm line when softly applied, flexing to almost a full millimetre. If there wasn't a hood, it'd flex right out to a couple of mm! Take a look at the underside close-up:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/signet005Small.jpg

It's smooth, and the flexibility gives it a softness which you don't get on the standard nibs (those made in the USA and Canada, and most of those made in the UK). Check out the writing samples below. It's also nice and wet, and keeps up with speedy writing without skipping. It's so nice!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/signet007Small.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/signet008Small.jpg

For this, taking into account the model, the condition, and the excellent and uncommon nib, I'm asking £227 including postage.

I think this is a good price, but I'm always happy to consider offers. I'll deal with you in any country, but for paypal I do need to ask for 3% to assist with their fees (this comes close to splitting the fees halfway). Cheques and bank transfers are very welcome at no charge. Registered domestic postage is included, and packaging will be very thorough to protect it. As always, a definite taker will transcend previous enquiries.

Enjoy!

Edited by vermiculus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vermiculus

• coco

• hcsk8ter

Forgot to add that the cartouche is blank, of course.

Also, I'd like to highlight that I will entertain offers, especially given the state of things at the moment. Oh, and of course discussion's welcome, as with all my sales!

Edited by vermiculus

Cheers Coco - and btw love that book which is your avatar. I've just re-read The Lady In The Lake.

A note on the sale: A lot of people put a high price and revise it down bit by bit. I don't think much of this - just contact me if you're interested but the price is too high. We can talk.

• 6 months later...
Bump, since I have a Signet and its a FABULOUS pen and the nib is like butter. if I didnt have one, I'd snap this up!

Just to confirm this is still available and is still just as lovely as ever...

the line is only a bit smaller than my Pelikan M1000 double broad!

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files