New Piston Seal for vintage Aurora 88

PenFisher

I had been wanting to try an early Aurora 88 for a few months and subsequently located and purchased an 88P that was in very nice condition; however, the piston seals needed replacing. I gathered as much information as I could find on FPN and decided I could replace the seals myself if I could just locate the parts. I spent several days, sent countless emails and many PMs in my quest to locate parts…to no avail. I knew I could send it to Kenro Industries for return to Italy for factory service, I knew I could send it to one of the professionals on FPN, and I knew some people where making cork seals. The problem was…I wanted to do the work myself; however, I just could not find parts. Finally, I posted a note seeking advice on the Repair Q & A and had the remarkable good fortune to be contacted by a fellow FPN member – fountainbel. We exchanged several emails and the outcome was that this wonderfully talented member designed, machined and produced a modern O-ring sealing cartridge for the Aurora 88 that is nothing short of amazing. Here is a link to one of fountainbel’s replies to my original post with an overview of the design and some pictures.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...rt=#entry846642

I received my new O-ring sealing cartridge in the mail yesterday and eagerly began the installation on my 88P. It took less than 10 minutes from start to finish, and that was doing it for the first time.

Here’s how:

1) unscrew barrel from section

2) with barrel open end pointed down, fully extend the piston by rotating the filler knob counter-clockwise until piston shaft drops out of barrel

3) unscrew black locknut covering old seals on piston shaft spindle

4) remove old seals

5) insert O-ring sealing cartridge on piston shaft spindle

6) replace black locknut and tighten snuggly

7) apply silicone grease to O-ring

8) re-insert assembled piston shaft into barrel

9) press in on top of piston shaft while rotating piston filler knob clockwise to retract piston into the barrel (Note: There is some resistance as the O-ring passes over the barrel threads when the piston is inserted into the barrel opening – I used a plastic push rod slightly smaller in diameter than the barrel opening to assist getting the piston shaft far enough into the barrel so that the drive screw of the filler knob meshed with the threaded opening in the rear of the piston shaft.)

10) cycle the piston up and down a couple of times to insure proper operation

11) apply sealant on section threads and screw barrel and section back together (I used sealing resin from Tryphon which does not harden.)

That’s it. Stone simple. Elegant. Works perfectly. Even I could do it. This is the only way to go IMHO.

And now, a very special and public THANK YOU to fountainbel for taking the interest, time and patience to engineer and produce such a wonderful solution to restoring the piston seals in these great pens.

Edited by PenFisher

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vintagepens

• ttakacs

• mark e

• PenFisher

Fountainbel has been helpful to many many people and is a very talented repairsman, has done extensive work on Sheaffer Vac Fills and posted techincal info on the Wiki as well. I have been helped by him as well.

Thanks very much for your mention and his help to many people

Great story! His Sheaffer Vac Fil solution is, as I understand it, very effective and brings those pens back to life (and when working right I don't think there is a more efficient filling mechanism).

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Man, it doesn't get any easier than that! Sure beats the sanding and testing involved for putting a cork in as a replacement. :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 3 years later...

The good news is that O-rings that will fit are available.

The bad news is that they are a very odd size and not readily available from seal suppliers.

I sell an assortment of nonstandard O-rings of graduated thicknesses for piston-filler repair. I believe it is size "B" that is correct for 88 repair -- will have to double-check, but I've been using them for some time for my own Aurora 88 repairs.

The listing is here. At this point I don't have a package of just the one size, but I may come up with one if there is demand. As is, it is very handy to have the assortment -- one size or the other will fit nearly every European piston-filler that originally used cork or washer-style seals.

The good news is that O-rings that will fit are available.

The bad news is that they are a very odd size and not readily available from seal suppliers.

I sell an assortment of nonstandard O-rings of graduated thicknesses for piston-filler repair. I believe it is size "B" that is correct for 88 repair -- will have to double-check, but I've been using them for some time for my own Aurora 88 repairs.

The listing is here. At this point I don't have a package of just the one size, but I may come up with one if there is demand. As is, it is very handy to have the assortment -- one size or the other will fit nearly every European piston-filler that originally used cork or washer-style seals.

hello, mr N---i clicked on the "here", but it goes to the pen sacs

i have an 88 i need to fix too, and have visited your site, trying to estimate which rings or washers to select for the job---i believe you're referring to the "piston seals for conklin-nozac--kit includes 40 o-ring seals..." etc--correct?

also, what would work in case my pelikan 140 seals ever give out?

thanks for your help, m

The configuration of a Pelikan 140 piston seal is different from that of a lot of piston fillers, as later Montblanc and many modern piston fillers, the seal forms the whole of the piston end. Vintage pens do sell these seals, but I think they may only be for later Pelikan100 pens. With these pens my preference is to turn a groove in the existing piton seal and install a smaller section "O" ring than those in this assortment.

The "O" ring assortment supplied by Vintage pens is excellent and covers the sizes required for many piston fillers. You mechanically only require one "O" ring in the piston head, I prefer to install two with a piece of the felt also supplied by Vintage pens, cut to suit and soaked in silicon and sandwiched between the two "O" rings.

Just a satisfied customer etc. etc.

et

edit;- added a "P" to reference

Edited by eckiethump

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

hello, mr N---i clicked on the "here", but it goes to the pen sacs

i have an 88 i need to fix too, and have visited your site, trying to estimate which rings or washers to select for the job---i believe you're referring to the "piston seals for conklin-nozac--kit includes 40 o-ring seals..." etc--correct?

Just scroll down, the piston seal kits are below the sacs. As et notes, the Pelikan 140 seals are rather different in design. The same seals fit the 400 series, the 100N series, and the 140 as well -- they are a stretch-fit over the end of the piston shaft. They are also listed in the same place.

• 2 years later...