• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Lsmy Safari, while relatively inexpensive is a fountain pen of great quality and smoothness. I have other, more expensive fountain pens than my lamy in my collection, but nevertheless, it is the workhorse of my fountain pen fleet. P.S. You're a great reviewer! I never thought so much was to be known about the simple Lamy Safari Fountain Pen!

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a Safari which falls outside the descriptions above, please post

I have a two-part cap here that is riveted together. Maybe this is a generation between your 3rd and 4th? This could also explain why you found four feed variations that don't align the four generation taxonomy.

• 1 month later...

On a related note, I'm curious to know about all of the writing instruments that come in the Safari line. I spotted this photo at PenCity:

http://www.pencity.com/Lamy/images/SafariGrey.jpg

From the top:

- Fountain Pen

- Mechanical Pencil

- Ballpoint

- Rollerball

- Ballpoint?

What's the last one? Is it some variation on the ballpoint?

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

On a related note, I'm curious to know about all of the writing instruments that come in the Safari line. I spotted this photo at PenCity:

http://www.pencity.com/Lamy/images/SafariGrey.jpg

From the top:

- Fountain Pen

- Mechanical Pencil

- Ballpoint

- Rollerball

- Ballpoint?

maybe a stylus? or a gel pen?

It looks to me like one of Lamy's twin or tri pens. i.e. A combination of pencil,

ballpoint and - on the tri pen - highlighter. You select the feature by twisting the barrel.

Wow, what a great thread! Thanks!

I didn't even know there were demo Safari pens. What are the differences with the Vista?

Thanks again for the superb work!

• 5 months later...

I am late to this post, but this has been a fantastic read! Thank you so much for sharing all of your research and knowledge of the Safaris! I enjoyed it immensely. I have several Safari's and think they are great pens.

• 4 months later...

I'm a bit late to this one too, but thought I'd chime in. I'm glad to see that someone is giving some attention to a lower-end pen. This post is destined to be a classic reference.

I bought my daughter (now almost sixteen) a Safari a few years ago as her first FP, and have never regretted it. It's a workhorse, bulletproof, and a great starter.

David Armstrong

• antiques for readers & writers •

http://www.restorersart.com

Sevanti Letterpress

• guaranteed fountain pen friendly •

http://www.sevanti-letterpress.com

Bumped because until Lamy gets its own subforum, this wonderful history is going to be lost on page 2 then 3... you get the drift.

I wish that thread could be pinned in the Pen History forum.

I also realized that when they were produced Esterbrook did not have much more pens models in their line up than Lamy has now. I also noticed that one of the Esterbrook is called a Safari.

I firmly believe that Lamy is poised to be the Esterbrook of the 20 and 21st century so why isn't it possible to make a forum for the brand?

I also don't understand the, sometimes fierce, opposition into making a Lamy forum, the pens are popular and they already have an history.

I also think they we would greatly profit from a subforum about pen from India.

Well said! Here's another bump.

BTW, I found a smooth, shiny Savannah Safari ballpoint in my collection (w/original small cardboard cargo box!). Savannah remains my favorite Safari color.

Another bit of Lamy info: A book titled _All About Lamy_ has been published in Japan (actual Japanese title is _Lamy-no-subete_). I have seen it offered for sale on eBay for $45 plus s/h, but I purchased a copy at Kinokuniya bookstore in Seattle for $26.25 (it's 1500 Yen in Japan). Even if you don't understand Japanese, the book is fanatastic for it's pictures and graphics--a cool visual history, including a section on the Safari.

Regarding the book title translation: "subete" (su-beh-tay) means "everything"; "no" is a connecting particle, so, literally, the title says something like "Lamy's everything," or "everything that is Lamy," but "all about Lamy" is certainly a better translation in English, and that's what the publishers used.

I hope this was helpful to my fellow Lamy fans.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great post! I just bought a Lamy Al-Star this weekend as my first Fountain Pen. So far it's been great...I already want to get a Safari to keep full of red ink--I use both Red and Blue primarily at work, though the Al-Star is full of black right now.

Another bit of Lamy info: A book titled _All About Lamy_ has been published in Japan (actual Japanese title is _Lamy-no-subete_). I have seen it offered for sale on eBay for $45 plus s/h, but I purchased a copy at Kinokuniya bookstore in Seattle for $26.25 (it's 1500 Yen in Japan). Even if you don't understand Japanese, the book is fanatastic for it's pictures and graphics--a cool visual history, including a section on the Safari.

Regarding the book title translation: "subete" (su-beh-tay) means "everything"; "no" is a connecting particle, so, literally, the title says something like "Lamy's everything," or "everything that is Lamy," but "all about Lamy" is certainly a better translation in English, and that's what the publishers used.

I hope this was helpful to my fellow Lamy fans.

Regards, Robert

That's an excellent book!

I've picked up mine at Kinokuniya in Costa Mesa, CA.

Full of interesting facts and info.

:thumbup:

I just found this post myself (despite being pinnedunsure.gif).

I have bought my with an AL-Star with a Medium nib for day-to-day usage, and bought my daughter a Safari with a custom ground nib from Pendemonium -- it says something that the custom nig cost more than the pen (and the nib was very nicely priced for a custom grind), and it does not say that the pen is cheap, but rather that it is a good value.

I am now considering a Safari/Vista for myself, either with a stock italic (1.1 or 1.5) or splurging on another custom ground CI from Pendemonium. thumbup.gif

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

In all my travels, and it has been extensive over many yrs., I have not seen a smooth...Terra, Savan, or charcoal. Nor have I seen a true-ly textured white ,as it would be, if it were charcoal. There is a smooth white with black clip , unmarked nib, metal black cap button and round brass retainer screw. Current whites have gray buttons, and cap retainer rings.The "demonstrator has a different body construction with very short almost piston like insert in the end or the body and marked "Germany", no silver printing, black cap liner, nib is without nib designation, clip is black, and cap button is black metal with round brass retaining screw inside. No textured demo exists that I know of. Why would it be ground glass in appearance as a demo? The original flame is much darker...more orange-red than the remake by a well known Am. Co. that is very much the same color as the LE Orange of recent fabrication. There is also an "A" designated nib.There are very slight minor color variations in the "froggy" lime green Safari, got 4 'cus I like frogs, and some of the reds have had color variants over the yrs., and the yellows... run the gamut between almost mustard yellow, to the bright 2010 yellow of which there are silver and black clip models in 2010. The Al-star frosty light green has only that one green color, but there are super slight color variants of that one too. There r 4 variants of the Joy...all black with silver clip...go figure..., red clip and red body tab, and pink clip with pink body tab. There is an Al-Star Joy...rubberized black body, it has a totally different look and feel than any other Lamy A-S or Safari,... with silver cap, and black clip.All Al-stars have brass retainer button" recepticons".There are 8 Al- Star issues & one Signature model. There is even a "Swedish" blue Safari with yellow clip, specially ordered for??..., out there in Safari-land. Some of the early Safari pens have metal cap buttons, some are plastic threaded,current issues over the past few yrs. are all push snappers. There are even variations in the diameter of the female brass...and threaded cap button/ retainers that hold the cap liner in place and seal off the section so the feed doesn't desiccate too quickly. Clips generally match the nib color...except for my earliest Terra which had a silver unmarked nib and black clip. Just a note....to those who would speak to the smooth variants above. Post a picture of what you've got. None of this thread's folk have ever followed thru on their promises to post a photo or two of those really "rare" Safaris'. I'm not from Missouri... should you be as curious as I am to see those fountain pens......lol. Just f-p pics if you will. Safaris need their own forum...maybe the whole LAMY world needs a space on FPN?

Edited by SnowLeopard

Thanks SnowLeopard for a great post, full of interesting details. I too would like to see a smooth savanna, Terracotta or charcoal safari (what was the original name for that one again?!)

I do think however that there was a textured Alpin (white with black clip) at some time. I don't have the FP, but I have a mech pencil, white textured with black clip. Won it on ebay recently for a song. Best part : it's NOS and... Came with the original box! The cardboard one with matching ABS plastic ends :) I can try to post a picture if there is interest, although I'm not sure I can show much detail with my camera...

Maybe the "smooth" savanna, terra-cotta and charcoal specimens are just real worn from extensive use?

My demo safari is smooth.

Does anyone have both versions of the "flame" for comparison?

Gotta love the safari!!

P.s. If anyone has a swedish safari to spare (sell).... Please let me know :-)