Lamy Safari

haywoody

On 12/26/2021 at 2:10 PM, christof said:

since I was able to complete my collection lately, I made another overview of all the existing colors, as a reference and just for fun.

51777030581_8faae5776d_o.jpgLAMY Safari Farbreihe Jahreszahlen by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

I was able to cite the correct colors and their dates of production because of that wonderful picture from forum member christof 

His knowledge of the Lamy Safari history is legendary.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Anne-Sophie said:

I still want a matte French Blue with matching clip. 😄

I lucked into a used French Blue (red clip) on eBay a couple of years ago, for about the price of what a new Safari would cost (I absolutely REFUSED to pay the NOS prices for one).  Unfortunately, I lost the cap somewhere in my house (I HOPE) a while back.  Was able to source a red cap on eBay for not a lot of money, so at least the pen is usable again.  

Hopefully the real cap will show up someday (even the French Blue cap I saw on eBay was for more than I paid for the pen to begin with -- and that didn't even include the shipping charges from IIRC Germany (which would have basically doubled the cost.... :o

Scoped out the "reboot" Blue and Red one last winter when I was in NYC and went down to the Lamy Soho store, but somehow that color combination just didn't really float my boat... (the French Blue really is special). :sad:

Strangely, none of the "standard" Safari colors interest me -- all of mine (plus all of the al-Stars I own) ended up being SE pens, and I've got another one on the radar (but have to wait till tomorrow to order it since I have to reset my password to log in on the website where I saw it).  Still trying to decide what nib to get for it -- F, M, or B.  Although I may see about getting a replacement nib at some point -- but, sadly, Lamy doesn't seem to carry the stub nibs in black (at least not that I've been able to find...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

I don't know if it has already been said in another post, but towards the end of the 2010s, there was a change in the way the nib slit was cut. Laser cutting was introduced, which replaced cutting with a rubber disc. The old nib differs in that it has a burn mark next to the breathing hole. The heat produced by the disc during cutting caused the nibs to open in a V-shape. Heat was applied next to the breathing hole to make them close. 

Lamy nib laser cut.jpg

Yes, people noticed the dots. There were threads about it on boards. The discoloring of the metal made it an obvious result of heat treatment. 🙂

On 6/25/2023 at 3:20 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I lucked into a used French Blue (red clip) on eBay a couple of years ago, for about the price of what a new Safari would cost (I absolutely REFUSED to pay the NOS prices for one).  Unfortunately, I lost the cap somewhere in my house (I HOPE) a while back.  Was able to source a red cap on eBay for not a lot of money, so at least the pen is usable again.  

Hopefully the real cap will show up someday (even the French Blue cap I saw on eBay was for more than I paid for the pen to begin with -- and that didn't even include the shipping charges from IIRC Germany (which would have basically doubled the cost.... :o

Scoped out the "reboot" Blue and Red one last winter when I was in NYC and went down to the Lamy Soho store, but somehow that color combination just didn't really float my boat... (the French Blue really is special). :sad:

Strangely, none of the "standard" Safari colors interest me -- all of mine (plus all of the al-Stars I own) ended up being SE pens, and I've got another one on the radar (but have to wait till tomorrow to order it since I have to reset my password to log in on the website where I saw it).  Still trying to decide what nib to get for it -- F, M, or B.  Although I may see about getting a replacement nib at some point -- but, sadly, Lamy doesn't seem to carry the stub nibs in black (at least not that I've been able to find...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I know Ruth, at the time I tried to emulate you, but, I decided after getting the Dark Lilac that I wanted that gorgeous color French or better called Robin egg blue, in matte with the matching clip.

So I wait.

You can use Vista caps on all Safaris, I also use Vista sections on the Safari LE's, to see the matching ink. I am glad I do that because many times, my inks make a mess in the Vista caps, which then get as well as the feed, a deep cleaning treatment before refilling.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

16 hours ago, Astronymus said:

Yes, people noticed the dots. There were threads about it on boards. The discoloring of the metal made it an obvious result of heat treatment. 🙂

I intervened in one of these threads and did not remember it :). At least that information will be part of this topic.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, Azulado said:

I don't know if it has already been said in another post, but towards the end of the 2010s, there was a change in the way the nib slit was cut. Laser cutting was introduced, which replaced cutting with a rubber disc. The old nib differs in that it has a burn mark next to the breathing hole. The heat produced by the disc during cutting caused the nibs to open in a V-shape. Heat was applied next to the breathing hole to make them close. 

Lamy nib laser cut.jpg

really interesting - thank you!