Lamy Safari

haywoody

On 9/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, sentience said:

Wonderful compilation of info! I'm currently working on a complete LAMY catalogue website, and I look forward to crediting you as a source (with a link to your hard work, of course!).

I really look forward to seeing this so please do post a link here when you’re up and running :)

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, christof said:

btw... do you remember the modifications I did on a Vista, five years ago?:

18855879566_551f305f1f_o.pngLamy Safari Frosta (Vista) by c_m_z, auf Flickr

...then I called it "Frosta" because of the matte surface.

C.

Hi Christof - have a look at this photo. I think your creation has inspired others! Looks really nice.

D4B8637F-DFB7-4BCB-8E26-7CC02510C8F1.jpeg

@christof

Christof - please have a look at this response I have just made to another excellent Safari thread as I think this is interesting information about the Lime and its prior prototype allegedly released a year or two before:

3 hours ago, Uffuffa said:

Hi Christof - have a look at this photo. I think your creation has inspired others! Looks really nice.

Oh my where did you find this?

3 hours ago, Uffuffa said:

Hello Chris

Thanks for showing me this. That‘s fun!

...but we both know what the problem with this surface could be.

C.

Christof thank you for sharing  your updated Safari/Vista history file.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 1/13/2009 at 4:33 AM, fmp said:

amazing review. Safari was my first fountain pen. From the pics, I guess I have a second generation, came with a white inner cap that disintegrate (literally, into pieces). I have since get a replacement part (black one) and replacement nib (chrome one, wince I think it look better with the white pen.)

In first post, "The barrel was changed from one part to two." - do you mean from two to one?

I have two questions:

1) the new inner cap, do they fit on 2nd gen model? I worry that the black inner cap may get loose again and that I will not be able to save the pen next time when that happen. (will those black inner cap stay fit for years? )

2) how did you take the parts out from the barrel (the thing with the imprint) out for 2nd, 3rd generation? this is one of my biggest puzzle for years.

Also, my feed from 2nd gen do not have the extension at the end. see pic...

post-8070-1231796538_thumb.jpg

Dear fmp,

I think my Lamy is the same to your model.

How could you unscrew the top cap?. I have a hard time to do that. I push a wooden stick inside the cap and try to unscrew. It cannot work. 

Could you please guide me to do that ?

Thank you.

Does it rotate? If yes it might a newer model without the screw. Those "screws" are fake and just popped in.

If it doesn't move at all or if the inner parts rotate with it the threading might be oxidized and baked together.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, christof said:

I am very happy to present you the work of Chris (Uffuffa) and me of the last couple of weeks:

a comprehensive table of the LAMY Safari an all the released colors since 1980!

(As far as we know, such a document has not yet been published.)

50324437052_5cc77f850b_o.jpgLAMY Safari by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Click to the Flickr link to get a larger view.

This table should help all the Safari collectors and enthusiasts out there to get a better overview. We hope that our table will be helpful for you.

Chris & Christof

Since the link to the LAMY Safari table has broken and there are new informations from Chris, I edited the table from september and post it again here:

50782966598_c6e43d5ceb_o.jpgLAMY Safari English quer Dezember 2020 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Click to the Flickr link to get a larger view or to download.

Christof

On 12/7/2020 at 4:55 PM, lucraak said:

Oh my where did you find this?

Hello lucraak - I missed your question. I found this at Mody Passion on Instagram. This is a carwash or maybe a car repairs business in Bangkok with either an owner or a worker who is “passion”ate about “mody”fication of original Lamy parts. In other words, s/he makes Frankenpens but then embellishes them, paints them and/or adds to them for new looks. I quite like her/his creations and have ordered some, but they are not cheap...! I have no affiliation. Here is the link:

https://www.instagram.com/modypassion/?hl=en-gb

On 1/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, Uffuffa said:

Hello lucraak - I missed your question. I found this at Mody Passion on Instagram. This is a carwash or maybe a car repairs business in Bangkok with either an owner or a worker who is “passion”ate about “mody”fication of original Lamy parts. In other words, s/he makes Frankenpens but then embellishes them, paints them and/or adds to them for new looks. I quite like her/his creations and have ordered some, but they are not cheap...! I have no affiliation. Here is the link:

https://www.instagram.com/modypassion/?hl=en-gb

Tnx :)

• 4 weeks later...

If Lamy is bringing back the original Safari colors, I think they should also bring back the original Gerd Müller designs for packaging, graphic design, and sales promotions. I've always liked the original foot locker packaging!

50878511968_7b788d76f9_h.jpg

50878510083_1f9c628178_h.jpg

50879316967_2645598763_h.jpg

On 9/25/2020 at 4:46 PM, inkstainedruth said:

No tattoos for me (I'd be one of those people who'd likely have a horrible allergic reaction -- I just know it).

OTOH, if the stickers were still commercially available, I'd happily put one of them on the top of my laptop. Maybe the claw one (I plugged the text into Google Translate to see what it said, and it translated to "I have it under control" (which, given the triangular grip section, is pretty appropriate).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

No tattoos for me, as well.  But,  I would love to see the stickers reedited, in many languages. The one with the heart is especially appealing. The heart color needs to be made into a Safari or an Al-Star. 

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

17 hours ago, bphollin said:

If Lamy is bringing back the original Safari colors, I think they should also bring back the original Gerd Müller designs for packaging, graphic design, and sales promotions. I've always liked the original foot locker packaging!

Yes!

I know Gerd Mueller designed the Lamy 2000. Did he design the Safari as well?

I love both and have two of each. My oldest is a 2000 with 'OU' nib that I bought in Koeln in 1971. Still beautiful.

6 minutes ago, CemPenUser said:

No. https://www.lamy.com/en/lamy-safari/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thx. Nice presentation of Lamy design and designers. Wolfgang Fabian is the one.

Impressive list of designers, in general, especially Mario Bellini and Richard Sapper. I've often thought of buying a Dialog 1 but my inner cheapskate prevents me from shelling out that kind of money for a ballpoint.

3 hours ago, CemPenUser said:

In addition to the Lamy 2000, cp1, and Unic pens, Müller designed store displays, promotional materials, and packaging for Lamy. He did not design the Lamy Safari pen, but he designed the original "foot locker" and "safari" motif of the Safari's packaging and promotion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 10:53 PM, bphollin said:

Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing :)