• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the warm white color of the background, I believe there is no blue cast (white balance shifted towards blue) in the picture, therefore this I think this isn't Griso, but light-blue.

Yet I may be wrong, calibrated photos can often display colors very off from the reality.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be helpoful and nice to see a chart like the one they have for MB 149s detailing the evolution over the decades

spomeone with knowledge will have to spend time on it though

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 1 month later...

Safari fans who want to know more about the history of our favorite pens, need to travel the 10 year timeline of this treasure trove post.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the blue FP in M nib with converter. . F or EF nib is not available i will try to change next time.

A good & cheaper pen. .

• 4 weeks later...

Your screens are messing with you. It's just a Griso, no mysterious limited edition hidden from the world. :)

• 2 months later...

Since this is a headquarter thread for Lamy Safari model, may i ask fellow FPN user about the authenticity of my Lamy Safari since i dont find any related or sufficient info about black clip Safari's

I have two Safaris in Red and Blue, build quality seems solid with good detail and has two screw entry in order to align the barrel to the grip, but question raised regarding the nib, i hope anyone can help me to identify my pen since i have no clue about the solid black nib (on red safari) & non etched nib (on blue safari)

here are the pic

Red Safari:

Complete

Nib

Endbarrel

Topcap

Barrelscrew&cartridge

Feed

Blue Safari:

Complete

Topcap

Endbarrel

Lamydetail

Nib

Feed

Barrelscrew&cartridge

both pen writes nicely especially the M nib on red safari. I really hope anyone can help me identify the authenticity about this lamy safari and the origin (like date, edition years etc).
thankyou verymuch.

Edited by insanekamil

Hi insanekamil - these both look authentic to me. The one with a metal cross-top and blank nib is older than the one with a plastic one and marked nib. Both are post 1989/90. The former one is probably early 90s whilst the latter is probably late 90s or early 2000s. Enjoy :)

Hi insanekamil - these both look authentic to me. The one with a metal cross-top and blank nib is older than the one with a plastic one and marked nib. Both are post 1989/90. The former one is probably early 90s whilst the latter is probably late 90s or early 2000s. Enjoy :)

Thankyou very much sir for the info, the thing that made me curious is the breather hole on the blue safari, why would counterfeit pen had 'inner rings', i mean it is so much work to do for produce such a tiny detail.

and one question, can you confirm that the blank black nib one is the red hot safari (1989-early 1990s) ?

from collectors point of view, how much the 1990s Safari valued at the market

I starting to collect old lamy FP (i got Lamy 2000, P26 FP&BP set which has owned by North Sumatra governor who had reigned on 1978-1983, and this two safaris)

Edited by insanekamil

Hi insaneKamil,

Yes - it looks like the red hot safari but nibs can obviously be changed with ease.

The 1990s Safaris vary considerably in “value” depending on many factors but most important are condition and rarity. Most of that era of Safaris, especially if the standard colours, are fairly common.

The P26 set you describe sounds interesting!

Happy collecting :)

Hi insaneKamil,

Yes - it looks like the red hot safari but nibs can obviously be changed with ease.

The 1990s Safaris vary considerably in “value” depending on many factors but most important are condition and rarity. Most of that era of Safaris, especially if the standard colours, are fairly common.

The P26 set you describe sounds interesting!

Happy collecting :)

do you ever saw Safari nib like the blue one?

so the value of this particular pen wont never beat the brand new released Safaris right? not like the Teracotta & first batch edition NOS Safari.

yea the flea market is an interesting place to visit on the weekends, since the sellers were collecting stuff from rich housing area (which a lot of them is some influential figures at the era) and the sellers dont see any of the price leverage on the engraved pens. I googled every name engraved on the pens that i bought. so far, i got 4 pens that related to "Old Order" of political reign in Indonesia

1. Parker 95 Flighter (owned by M. Soeparno ex president directors of state owned airlines company on 88-92)

2. Sheaffer Fashion II (my guess that this pen are used in the inner presidential office with Soeharto engraved name on it, i doubt this was his daily carry because this was cheap pen on that time and I read an article that Soeharto desk pen was the gold barrel Montblanc 149)

3. bulk of chinese souvenir pens in set (as a souvenir from one of the regional party leader GOLKAR in Jakarta on the 90s)

4. Lamy p26 set and it turns out that EWP Tambunan is the ex North Sumatra governor

do you ever saw Safari nib like the blue one?

so the value of this particular pen wont never beat the brand new released Safaris right? not like the Teracotta & first batch edition NOS Safari.

Sure - that blank nib is common to that era. The best place to check for value is probably eBay. The older one you have will be a little more value than the younger one, and both will have a little more value compared to current era. But collectors can sometimes pay over the odds if they are seeking something specific.

• 6 months later...

I just watched Lamy's video about their 2019 Limited Editions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyrfDqLlftQ

At minute 3:20, there is a picture of possible Lamy Safari future colors, like a pastel mauve, pastel blue mauve and a clear blue as well as a pastel warm and light orange.

It would be delightful for future shiny school pen versions!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Am interested in the introduction date of Umbra and Alpin. In the attached screenshot, Christof has stated the Umbra came after the Alpin. Im really interested in this because I wonder whether the Umbra might have come first? I only suggest this because the Umbra (charcoal) comes in a generation with a blank barrel end (like the 1st Generation Savanna and Terracotta/Terrarot whereas I believe the Alpin comes first with a W Germany stamp (like the 2nd Gen Savanna/Terracotta). I have never seen an Alpin with a blank end - does anyone have one please? Is it definite that the Alpin came before the Umbra please?

Also, Im very interested in the Special Order for the Matte Alpin. Where did you find this out, Christof, please? I wonder if perhaps the Matte Alpin came as a tiny run before the Glossy Alpin because all prior pens were Matte finish; that is IF the Umbra was indeed before the Alpin. Was it Savanna, then Terrarot, then Umbra, then Matte Alpin...? And THEN glossy Alpin as the first glossy edition?

Id be really interested to know if anyone has good information about this?

BD860C7C-B30D-4282-B4A9-DFB46414DC02.jpeg

Hi Chris

As already explained via PM, I got these dates and informations (about the matte white) from LAMY customer servie (S. Kiessling). I have no other proof like catalogs or leaflets and I also would be very interested in seeing further informations and facts.

Actually, there is not much public informations about the matte Alpin and your theorie seems totally reasonable. Also from a point of view of color ranges, Umbra (S2) seems to be the logical addition to Savanna and Terra Rot (which came at the same time on the market as I think.) The Glossy white and Black is something totally different, as already the name "Alpin" indicates.

C.

Edited by christof

My collection is not complete, and most of what I've learned has been from this thread, but I do have the following anecdotal information to add regarding barrel end markings:

• Used Savanna green, no imprint on barrel end, unmarked black nib; textured
  • NOS Terracotta/Terrarot with original box, no imprint on barrel end, unmarked black nib; textured
  • Used Charcoal FP with original box (looks identical to the Terracotta except the plastic pieces are black, not orange), W. Germany imprint on barrel end, unmarked black nib; textured
  • Used Charcoal RB, silkscreened Abercrombie and Fitch logo, with W. Germany imprint on barrel end and W. Germany imprint on barrel, like on the older Lamy 2000s; textured
  • Used Alpin, silkscreened Absolut Vodka logo, W. Germany imprint on barrel end, unmarked black nib; glossy

IMG_2663.jpg

I thought the price tags of the boxes might help with dating, but alas, it looks like the Terra was re-priced at a shop at some point, as the "20." sticker is paper, whereas all other stickers are silver mylar. I'm not sure if these were from the USA market; both were purchased off eBay USA about 7-8 years ago from separate sellers, as I recall.

And the unusual charcoal RB imprint:

IMG_2667.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am very happy to present you the work of Chris (Uffuffa) and me of the last couple of weeks:

a comprehensive table of the LAMY Safari an all the released colors since 1980!

(As far as we know, such a document has not yet been published.)

50324437052_5cc77f850b_o.jpgLAMY Safari by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Click to the Flickr link to get a larger view.

This table should help all the Safari collectors and enthusiasts out there to get a better overview. We hope that our table will be helpful for you.

Chris & Christof

Edited by christof

Dear Christof - it was great to collaborate with you on this and I hope its helpful for all Safari FP collectors. There is still lots of room for further improvement in this table so anyone out there who wishes to add/subtract/edit, please say. Chris (Uffuffa)