Lamy Safari

haywoody

looking for the orange that was available on a website in Korean, and also sold on ebay from Japan.

came across post #77 regarding the 2009 orange with "factory broad flex nib, marked 585" which was actually from the 1984 Unic.

http://www.fountainp...ri/page__st__50

still looking for the recent orange info

demonstrators at #124

http://www.fountainp...i/page__st__100

Texture bodies discussed just before this.

you may also wish to note packaging,

grey cardboard crate on my early red

blister pack on griso

grey plastic pouch on sky blue red clip

slim silver, white end traditional box chrome clip current colors

tri-fold gray box elastic closure on lime with black cross screw top

also the white plastic box on the special pen

May have to retract the orange that was discussed with links to Korea, and Japan on ebay. Know I looked at the website.. perhaps they were NOS?

I looked through 15 pages of archived Lamy orange pages, and couldn't find that specific thread. Others may recal this one, just when we were discussing what the new color would be for this year ( the Apple/lime green)

Edited by pen2paper

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Pen2Paper,

"grey cardboard crate on my early red"

Interesting also that you have a cardboard crate for your early red. I thought these crates only came with the S2 (charcoal), Terracotta, Savanna and first generation Alpin but I may well be wrong. The crates that I own have ABS hinges that match the colour of the fountain pen (the crates of the non-fountain pens did not have hinges, they were simply boxes with lettering that matched the pens' colour and are smaller).

Does your crate have red hinges that match the red of your early red Safari?

Sorry my description sounded like plastic, It was grey cardboard. I do not recall hinges.

I purchased it new from a stationary shop, which catered to bridal invitation business.

This would be before FPN began. about? 6-7ish years maybe 8? Before sky blue/red, or would have bought that one.

- New yellow (the fresher/brighter shade) with a black clip (instead of a chrome clip) - again, I've never seen this but apparently it existed at the time when the yellow-with-chrome-clip was introduced; I would only accept one of these with it's sticker as provenance (as I think it was coded differently to the darker yellow with black clip and the brighter yellow with chrome clip).

i have them...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/kmpn/pen/lamy/safari/18b661ff.jpg

actually, i believe the first 6 small digits printed vertically are date related, probably MMYYDD (?)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/kmpn/pen/lamy/safari/f1af69af.jpg

Hi KMPN!

Yes, I know you have one of these transitional yellows from your blog :) I think the correct sticker is absolutely vital to any serious collector to prove its provenance because otherwise it is a 5 minute job to "manufacture" one of these. Yours is the only one I have ever seen a photo of that is with it's sticker. I've read someone else has one but I've never seen a photo of theirs. I tried very hard to find one of these but alas never managed to obtain one. Even better than a stickered one would be a blister-pack sealed one, but I've never seen one of those.

KMPN, is your blog public?

The yellow transitional with Black Clip, silver nib is interesting... I recall not being excited about the silver nib, in subtle protest passed on it - Now, of course, I see it as one of the looming blank spaces.

It was not easy buying a pink pen, but two of them rolleyes.gif it is, I confess, a very nice pink.

Wish I had saved the early boxes.

were the hinged boxes two triangles which folded together? pen on one side, c/c on the other?

I made this post on my blog ! Please let me know what I need to correct. I'm new to collecting Safari's. COOL thing: I actually spoke to Wolfgang Fabian - Designer of the Safari! :vbg:

http://gmsantaguida.tumblr.com/post/23566681770/here-is-a-checklist-i-made-i-am-a-huge-fan-of-the

This is a great job and great idea. i think this is the first time that I've seen all the different colors compared in one picture/list. Just great!

I also feel very honored that you have used my picture of the Savanna:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7045/6961239355_d39f3933ab_c.jpg

...honestly, I'm fine with that, and you have my permission. But be careful with using pics without permission. Other photographers may be a little bit picky about that...

The only advice that I can give is to use the correct terms of colors (the ones, used by LAMY).

Terracotta = Terrared

Grey = Griso

2012 Green (not "Apple" Green)

etc...

Again, great job and reference!

Btw: found this on the internet:

...and have no idea what this could be...

Edited by christof

Yes, I know you have one of these transitional yellows from your blog :) I think the correct sticker is absolutely vital to any serious collector to prove its provenance because otherwise it is a 5 minute job to "manufacture" one of these. Yours is the only one I have ever seen a photo of that is with it's sticker. I've read someone else has one but I've never seen a photo of theirs. I tried very hard to find one of these but alas never managed to obtain one. Even better than a stickered one would be a blister-pack sealed one, but I've never seen one of those.

i have asked the company about the color change when i found a "fresher" yellow with black clip. that was Nov 2009, at that time, we don't know the clip would change as well.

KMPN, is your blog public?

it is on blogspot. thank you :)

Edited by kmpn

Christof, not doubting you. 2012 Green.

Just wondering why UK called it Apple, USA called it Lime?

Were there location-specific names?

another question, was there ever a glossy black with black clip, and nib?

No problem, please doubt me, I'm not an expert!

When it comes to the "Apple Green": I didn't find this name on the official Lamy site. Only some online shops call it that. Have a look at here: LINK

When it comes to Lime: This is a different color! Lime was the color of the year 2008.

...and nope, I didn't have seen a black and glossy Safari with black clip. But the matte surface thends to become glossy when heavy used. See here: LINK

As far as I know is white "Alpin" the only color which came in glossy and matte with a black clip.

Hope this helps.

Where can I buy this lamy squeeze converter? I never saw this one.

Does it hold more ink than the modern lamy z24 converter and does it fit in a current lamy safari pen?

Wow thanks everyone for amazing feedback! I have to say, as an amateur, I just started my collection and never really understood what I just got myself into :)

The sole purpose of this list was really to get a clear undestanding, from a personal perspective, of what pens I have and what ones I need, however, I now know that the community world of Safari collecting is way more in depth. And I have a lot more collecting to do.

But ultimately I wanted to share this list Because I felt it would benefit others especially since I spent hours upon hours searching the Internet for exact photos of each color, which at times required careful photoshopping, example: thank you Christof for the Savannah, which is also the Terrocotta just photoshopped.

In order for me to fix this (which I made this on adobe illustrator) if you can all help me out, Ill need a list of ALL the colors and generations added to the ones I already have listed.

And I then I will put everything into a graphic layout. :)

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

(cross posted from the main pen discussion for posterity's sake)

Here's a fun one for a Friday afternoon: Apple Lamy Safari served two ways - Apple Computer red and the standard Safari apple green.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5111/7421284192_f87a18864f_c.jpg

The Safari apple green is the 2012 production color and came today from the fine folks at Goulet Pen Company.

The red Apple Computer pen came from eBay, and the seller had a number of other Apple branded products that he picked up at the Apple mothership store in Cupertino. The endcap is stamped W. Germany, the nib is plain black with no markings, and the old Apple logo all point to somewhere in the mid-80s to I suppose 1990 at the latest. I'd heard about these floating around, and I was quite tickled to nab one from eBay at a reasonable price, considering how crazily people have been pricing Safaris over there as of late.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5460/7421285046_ee3529a7a7_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8005/7421286912_2303c8f383_c.jpg

Edited by bphollin

The red Apple Computer pen came from eBay, and the seller had a number of other Apple branded products that he picked up at the Apple mothership store in Cupertino. The endcap is stamped W. Germany, the nib is plain black with no markings, and the old Apple logo all point to somewhere in the mid-80s to I suppose 1990 at the latest. I'd heard about these floating around, and I was quite tickled to nab one from eBay at a reasonable price, considering how crazily people have been pricing Safaris over there as of late.

I saw that one on eBay and almost jumped in to the bidding. I've tried to resist collecting the branded Safaris (there are a TON of them) but that is a particularly cool one. Congrats on picking it up.

/Woody

Edited by haywoody

• 2 weeks later...

Safaris, so excellent.

I want to buy an Al Star, which I believe is a Safari made from a different barrel material, in bright white, and stock it with the blackest black ink!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, anyone knows if the Lamy Safari in pink is still available somewhere? (I think it was a 2009 LE but re-released after?). I was not much into fountain pens when this color was released, and now I'm kicking myself for not getting it :headsmack:

Currently my collection consists of a Lamy Vista and a Safari Aquamarine

I'd need some place that won't charge me an exorbitant amount in shipping (sometimes not living in the US is a real pain =_=). Thanks in advance! (and if this sort of post is not allowed please let me know and I'll "poof" it)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://365drawings.wordpress.com

Hi, anyone knows if the Lamy Safari in pink is still available somewhere? (I think it was a 2009 LE but re-released after?).

I'd need some place that won't charge me an exorbitant amount in shipping (sometimes not living in the US is a real pain =_=).

Pen Boutique still has them on their website (http://www.penboutique.com/). I don't know about their shipping.

I think all this info should go in the Lamy forum, right? Plus the L2K thread...

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Hi, anyone knows if the Lamy Safari in pink is still available somewhere? (I think it was a 2009 LE but re-released after?).

I'd need some place that won't charge me an exorbitant amount in shipping (sometimes not living in the US is a real pain =_=).

Pen Boutique still has them on their website (http://www.penboutique.com/). I don't know about their shipping.

Thank you :) I think they have stores on eBay and Amazon too? It ends up being $50, which is what any LE Lamy Safari costs locally :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://365drawings.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi KMPN!

Sorry but to me this is baloney. Many stores sell the pens without the sticker, and it would basically invalidate all legit pens that don't have the sticker any more.

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?