Mont Blanc Annual Edition

kaisede

This is a short review for Mont Blanc 100 year annual edition. The pen supposes to be model after their successful line of safety pens issue during the 1920’s. Personally I was not too thrill when the pen first came out in 2006 because I just do not like cartridge filled fountain pens, however I did take notice of the unique design of the older Mont Blanc pens which is pretty popular amount Mont Blanc collectors Anyways I decided to give it a shot to see how I like it when held in my hand. The end result was me purchasing the roller ball (my first expansive roller ball since I started to collect pens) and a pencil which I use a lot in school.

The pen itself is not made from any fancy material; it is made from their resin, however due to the extra thickness on the bottom barrel (where your hand is position) and the top of the barrel it is heavier and steadier than my 146.

The roller ball (Number up to 30,000)

The balance is towards the tip of the pen as it is made of solid brass (?). This weight distribution made the roller ball ideal for posting. Without posting the cap the pen is pretty short even for me as I do not have a large hand and is used to using 146 without posting. However, posting on this pen does not change the balance at all so being short would not cause any problems.

Overall I give a 4.5/5 for design and 5/5 for balance and weight.

The pencil (Number up to 10,000)

As with most of the Mont Blanc pencils it is a .7mm and has a twist turn mechanical to pump out the lead. Again just like the roller ball the point of balance is at the tip making it easy to write with. Personally when I use pencils I push down to the paper more because of the lack of weight but with this pencil I write as if I was using a roller ball causing less fatigue than normally does.

For those who uses pencil a lot and is planning to get an MP from Mont Blanc take a look at this one I think you will like it. I also compare it with the 146 MP at store the annual MP has way better balance than the 146 and the annual MP has better grip feel to it.

Overall I give a 4.5/5 for design and 5/5 for balance and weight.

The barrel size

The middle section is thin, however the section where your hand grips is close to 145 if not at lease an 144.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/kaisede/Fountain%20Pens/DSC00049.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/kaisede/Fountain%20Pens/DSC00050.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/kaisede/Fountain%20Pens/DSC00051.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/kaisede/Fountain%20Pens/DSC00052.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kaisede

• QM2

• Ghost Plane

• ilvecchio

Cool! Thanks for sharing! I don't see this pen around much, and it's nice to see it out and about. I like the thicker part - it almost looks like a sleeve filler.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

Nice review and its interesting that you have the RB and pencil and I have the FP and BP. Combined, these pens make a set! I can report that while small, the FP writes well with good flow and well put together parts. One thing I am wondering though is just how long the gold plating at the end of the barrel will last as that is where the cap posts, and with a pen this small it needs to be posted while writing.

Still, I like the design, fit and finish, and overall feel in the hand. It is unique and its unlikely that you will see another person using one anytime soon.

Oh, I want this pen! But I am angry at it for being a C/C filler -- why could they not make it more interesting?

Thanks for the review and the photos : )

PS: Do you have a photo of the nib? It is one of the best parts!

Edited by QM2

I have the rollerball of this pen (if I can find it!) which appears like the fountain pen until uncapped.

Note the hyphenated name: Mont-Blanc.

Fred

Oh, I want this pen! But I am angry at it for being a C/C filler -- why could they not make it more interesting?

Thanks for the review and the photos : )

PS: Do you have a photo of the nib? It is one of the best parts!

I think the FP is cartriage only. If it is c/c than I will get it.

The FP is cartridge only, sorry to all the traditionalists!

The Anniversary range does have a certain charm, design wise however. I quite like it

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society"......Mark Twain

I went to MB yesterday and looked at the FP, the it is cartriage fill but in order to get the nib out you'll needs to un-scew the rear of the pen exposing the cartriage and than push the nib down. That is pain to use it all the time at lease for me.

Does the FP look like the middle photo in the last pic? If so, it SO should've been a safety or a sleeve filler- it's a bloody shame they didn't make it one. Don't think MB ever made sleeve fillers period...? And their safety fillers didn't look like that (two-capish), but it would at least be true to the form they've chosen.

I really, really, really don't understand if they're going for something historic from their past, why they don't actually use something from their own past, rather than trolling eBay for pictures of fountain pens from the teens and 20s and whipping up something based on whatever Jimmy the Intern found that day. They have *such* a rich history of wonderful pens, both visually and how they felt, that it just depresses me to see it squandered.

No worse than Onoto, Conklin, etc though I guess. The way the game works.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I went to MB yesterday and looked at the FP, the it is cartriage fill but in order to get the nib out you'll needs to un-scew the rear of the pen exposing the cartriage and than push the nib down. That is pain to use it all the time at lease for me.

I have this pen and it is not necessary to unscrew the rear part to expose the nib. You must unscrew the cap and then push down the central part and the nib is exposed. You do have to remove the rear section to change the cartridge.

IC so the sales person showed me the wrong way to push down the nib.

I bought mine at the MB Boutique (yes, I probably overpaid) and the clerk had to show me 3 times how to operate the pen before I understood it. I suppose one advantage of buying at the Boutique is that you get the correct operating instructions.

IC so the sales person showed me the wrong way to push down the nib.

I bought mine at the MB Boutique (yes, I probably overpaid) and the clerk had to show me 3 times how to operate the pen before I understood it. I suppose one advantage of buying at the Boutique is that you get the correct operating instructions.

I was at the MB Boutique and boutique manager was the one who showed me !! :roflmho: She also asked other sales people if that was the right way to do it. :headsmack:

Oh well...

• 4 weeks later...

I have just received the FP version of this pen (THANK YOU orangesam!!!). Still reeling from the coolness of it. I even (almost) forgive it for being a cartridge-only filler. The sleeve/retraction mechanism took some getting used to, but after half a day it's become automatic and I can do it using one hand -- pretty comfortable actually once you get the hang of it and easier than the Boheme. The star-shaped breather hole on the nib is an unbelievably nice touch. I will take some photos soon!

QM2

Edited by QM2

The other nice thing about this line is the accompanying uber cool 2 slotted leather pen case. :puddle: Got to get it!

The other nice thing about this line is the accompanying uber cool 2 slotted leather pen case. :puddle: Got to get it!

Yes, but I wish it came with the pen!

Anybody know a good place to buy one?