Skyline cap and body color combinations?

Garageboy

And, I would have to say that if your non-gold derby Skyline is sporting a double check mark clip, the original non-check clip has been replaced with what you now see,

Syd

Well then I must be the luckiest guy in the world ....

Here I am looking in my Skyline display case.

I have (other then the 7 Morie pens):

- 18 Skylines

- 2 have gold Derbys

- 5 have solid colored caps

- 6 have striped caps

- 5 have gold filled caps

and

- 18 of them have Double Check Mark Clips!

That means of all the pens I've collected in the wild (actually one of the solid color pens was my Grandfather's) 100% of them have been returned for repair and had a plain clip replaced with a Double Check Mark Clip!

The odds are just incredible!

I should buy lottery tickets.

Clearly there is some confusion here. There are far more Skylines around today with the double check than without. But as Syd says, in the day the lower priced models did not have it. Maybe fewer were made and even more likely fewer of the cheaper pens survived. I think you misinterpreted Syd. Any Skyline with either a gold filled cap or a gold filled derby or a striped cap or a wide band will have the double check because all of those models were high end. But any Skyline that is moire or has the clip that does not extend over the derby or has a grooved plastic cap will not, or should not, have a double checked clip. Some of those I just mentioned are rare and valuable, but when they were made they were lower priced.

Maybe someone wants to debate this point, I don't. I've had several thousand Skylines go through my hands over the years, so has Syd and David has surely seen that many. Your sample size is rather small by comparison. What you should conclude is that most of your Skylines have correct clips but a few do not. If you don't want to be persuaded by our experience how about simple logic? You have moire pens that are the same in every way except a few have double check clips and a few don't, right? Why would Wahl do such a thing? We know for a fact the double check clip was not meaningless and was not used randomly. The odds that Wahl shipped out moire Skylines both with and without double check clips is very small. No good argument can be made that the double check was correct and the non-double check pens are incorrect.

The moire pens have become valuable selling for about three times as much as a solid color pen that does have the double check clip. An ordinary Skyline with a bad clip is one a collector would probably just use for parts. But a moire is worth replacing the clip. Or, they could have been replaced back in the day by dealers/service who had a stock of double check clips. That's how your moire pens got their double check clips.

P.S. Yes, all of the all gold filled pens have double check clips as do the solid gold models, the stainless cap pens, the sterling cap pens, and the "only one known" aluminum cap, white, and robins egg blue pens. I'm still looking for a yellow one and when I find it I expect it to have a double check clip too, but nothing would surprise me.

Edited by LBpens

Save the Wahls!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LBpens

• Glenn-SC

• Garageboy

• sumgaikid

And, I would have to say that if your non-gold derby Skyline is sporting a double check mark clip, the original non-check clip has been replaced with what you now see,

Syd

- 18 Skylines

- 2 have gold Derbys

- 6 have striped caps

Clearly there is some confusion here. There are far more Skylines around today with the double check than without. But as Syd says, in the day the lower priced models did not have it. Maybe fewer were made and even more likely fewer of the cheaper pens survived. I think you misinterpreted Syd. Any Skyline with either a gold filled cap or a gold filled derby or a striped cap or a wide band will have the double check because all of those models were high end. But any Skyline that is moire or has the clip that does not extend over the derby or has a grooved plastic cap will not, or should not, have a double checked clip. Some of those I just mentioned are rare and valuable, but when they were made they were lower priced.

So only the Morie, non-extended clip, and grooved capped versions SHOULD NOT have the Double Check Marks!

That's a lot different from only gold derby pans should have them.

So the only skylines I have that (in your opinion) should not have the Double Check Mark clip are the Mories.

Syd

- 18 Skylines

- 2 have gold Derbys

- 6 have striped caps

So only the Morie, non-extended clip, and grooved capped versions SHOULD NOT have the Double Check Marks!

That's a lot different from only gold derby pans should have them.

So the only skylines I have that (in your opinion) should not have the Double Check Mark clip are the Mories.

From what you've said, that is correct. Solid color caps is a broad category though. There are solid pens where the clip extends but have no band that also do not have double check clips. I don't think anyone said only gold derby pens should have dc clips. What I said was the only moires that should have them are the ones with gold filled derby.

Save the Wahls!

Syd

I don't think anyone said only gold derby pens should have dc clips.

Syd did

Syd

I don't think anyone said only gold derby pens should have dc clips.

Syd did

Hi Glenn,

My error in diction/clarity. In my brain, when I wrote "only gold derby pens..." I meant to refer to moire pens. I was thinking the whole issue at hand revolved around your moire pens and so I did not qualify my statement by repeating the word moire. But that is what I meant. So I can say that I am in agreement with Lynn's statement.

Generally, there are literally tons of pens that, before making their way down the "I love this pen" chain into the back of a desk drawer "nobody cares about this pen" place, and eventually into the flea markets, estate sales, and especially the antique stores, were repaired or restored a few or more times. I have a drawer section full of skyline clips just waiting for replacement use. I wonder how many repair people out there today, let alone those myriad repairers over the last 605 years (who were not able to gather good solid correct information about the pens) repaired them the best way they knew how and put nice clips on pens that needed them. Clips are the most vulnerable part of the pen in many cases, and clip replacement is one of the most often asked for repairs. That is about 50% of the reason coronets find their way here to me for example. So I know how many times I have had to look for a Skyline clip for a job. Now if anyone has a few Oversized Skyline clips floating about that you don't need...do send them to me I have a few Black caps just begging for one.

I hope that clears it up what I was trying to say some.

Happy Holidays!

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens