Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikolaos

• Sblakers

• Frank C

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sblakers,

I am not too sure about what the finish is on your pen. Do you actually have the pen in your hands or expecting it?

A good way to see if it's lacquered or not is to look at the edges of the cap lip and also at the point where the nib and feed fit into the section...you can see with a loupe if lacquer is applied or not.

Ohasi-do pen are great writers. They are light-weight, excellent balance and the nibs are made by Sailor so writing is a pleasurable experience.

Looking foward to seeing a photo of your pen actually !!!

Edited by Nikolaos

Hmm hard to tell. I have a fatter Ohasi-do in this shape and it has black urushi. In the past i had one that looks like yours and it was black smooth ebonite. I can't tell from the photos, my hunch is that it's black urushi but the comment in the description about the brown/gold tone is confusing. I just don't see it, and in a way gold brown is also the tone of oxidation if it's ebonite only....but then again from the photos it doesn't look oxidized.

It's too bad the seller couldn't really say in the description especially since you paid a hefty amount.

Maybe others have a better idea than I do, but i am just not sure. It's a nice pen, and i love this shape. Please let us know about it when you receive it.

Edited by Nikolaos

Well. Received the pen and I am a little disappointed. Maybe after some time things will change. To start- the cap band and body band was not securely in place. After fidgeting with both bands I was able to remove them. To my disappointment they were both glued on with some kind of weak adhesive. Whether or not the previous owner did this I can not say. However, the bands are not set into the ebonite so I am certain the maker glued them on originally. This is so very disappointing. Hakase bands are set deep into the material with little to no chance of them coming undone.

The craftsmanship on this example is not as nice as hakase.

The saving grace of this pen is its shape and nib. It is incredibly well balanced and and absolute dream to write with. It is a pretty pen but the way the bands are attached is very disappointing

I remedied the problem myself so they should be secure now. I am happy I bought the pen despite its flaws.

Judging any pen against a hakase is pretty unfair and unfortunately that's my measuring stick. If I had never owned a hakase perhaps this flaw wouldn't be as bad as it feels. Anyway. Thanks for the help

Edited by Sblakers

I am sorry to hear about the bands not being securely in place. This is the first time I hear of such an issue with these pens. I am glad you like the balance and nib on the pen.

Were you able to find out if it's raw ebonite or if there's urushi applied to it ?

It's a raw ebonite pen. On a side note I'm thinking the pen is older Than I first thought. It's in great condition but you can see that is has been used over the years. Not really sure how to date one of these pens but it would be interesting to know about how old it is.

The more I mess with the pen the more it grows on me. It is really an incredible writer. Don't know how to explain it, the pen just feels right. The nib is amazing. Now that I have secured the bands I can appreciate how well the pen is made. It's really an appealing design.

Alright! So the mystery is solved! I had an identical pen a couple of years ago that i traded. It was also a fantastic writer, but honestly all 7 Ohasi-do pens i have are amazing writers and very well balanced even though not all of them are the same shape. I have with me today a pen in the exact shape as yours, double band, only fatter with a larger nib and coated in black urushi. Fantastic pen to use, and i am really happy to hear that yours is already growing on you , despite the band issue.

I love the design of these pens, it's pretty unique and reminds me of a sword.

Dating is not easy, cause there no specifc info. If yours feels older and used it probably is, but can't tell for sure. I have one that i am almost certain is from the 1970s (maybe older) just cause the box and the writing on it looks much older than the more modern boxes others came in. It might be a special one cause the cap is a slip on, not threaded. The fit is incredible. It's smooth raw ebonite

Enjoy your pen!

Nikolaos

Edited by Nikolaos

There are at least two younger men working for Ohashido. I have met both at various pen shows around the greater Tokyo area. I am quite certain that they do apply their own laquer and think they also make all of the hardware too. It seems that they used to make the cases too, but no longer do because the cost of domestically produced leather rose too high.

In short, if my Japanese ablity was good enough and my memory serves, then they do it all in house, and I thought this included the nibs as well?

When I bought my Ohashido pen, I saw raw ebonite and urushi pens side by side, and there was no mistaking which was which. The degree of lustre unmistakable. However, that was side by side, having just one may make it more difficult to tell.

Edited by Tinjapan

Thank you for your input Tinjapan. I have heard of at least one younger man who was Mr. Uehara's apprentice ( i can't recall his name). I didn't know that they do the urushi application and decorations in-house. The nibs are provided by Sailor , same with the converter. Most nibs are stamped "Sailor" in the part that goes in the section.

It's true, side by side the urushi finish has way more lustre than raw ebonite, but from photos it can be tricky sometimes.

It's great to see this discussion of Ohasido pen continue.

I, too, have a number of Ohasido pens that I am head over heel in love with. Some of them are simple urushi pens over ebonite while two have fancy lacquer work that approaches art. While I cannot compare them to Hakase pens since I don't have any,I find the Ohasido workmanship to be first rate and near perfect. What is truly amazing about these pens is that they were made to be written with- the balance, the weight and the nib all working their magic towards a satisfying writing experience. And about the weight of these pens, Nikolaos, I find them just about perfect at 23 to 30 grams without ink. And all the cap bands are solidly set without any movement whatsoever.

There really is very little information one can find regarding this small Japanese workshop. I, for one, would like to know more about their nibs which are made by Sailor, their nib choices and date. It is true that almost all Ohasido nibs these days are 14k, but I have two which are 21k and seem to belong to older models. When did they stop using the 21k nibs, I have no idea. However, what is consistent with these nibs is that they all write with good ink flow and smoothness, as if they were all individually tested before leaving their shop.

A pen friend from Taiwan, CWY, made a trip in 2010 to Tokyo's Mitsukoshi Department Store where Ohasido had set up a table during a pen show, and he photographed Ohasido's young assitant:

http://pennote.idv.tw/pen/?p=3647

Here are three of my Ohasido examples.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/P5181180_zps12f09c67.jpg

Edited by mchenart

Hi MIchael,

Thank you also for your great contribution and the sweet photo of your Ohasido pens which i was lucky enough to see in person last May in Taipei.

The wonderful thing about Ohasido pens, just like you pointed out, is the fact that they are writing instruments meant to be used and enjoyed. Perfect balance, great designs and weight, combined with fantastic nibs. I have an assortment of nibs on my pens, from XF, F, H-M, S-M and they all write like a dream. Excellent consistency and flow.

I wish more information was available on Ohasido pens.

Despite my initial troubles the ohashi-do has quickly grown on me. I can't really put my finger on it but it's probably my favorite writer right now. The pen sits so nicely in the hand and the nib is simply flawless. I'll be honest, I was so upset that the rings were faulty that I hated the pen. I mean, I spent a lot of money for the pen considering it's was a faith purchase. Even after I fixed the rings I tried to dismiss the pen as nothing special. In my mind there was no way this worn pen could compete with my buffalo horn hakase, but every time I'd use it and then put it away I'd immediately go back to it as soon as I needed to write something. I'm slightly disappointed that I like the pen so much because now I have to have another.

If you guys don't mind me asking what were the price ranges of your ohashi -do's

I have someone who might be able to buy the pen for me and ship it but I have no idea of the different prices and options. Any help, even it could be outdated pricing, would be very appreciated

The way I'd describe my ohashi do is as a writers pen. This is probably a silly analogy, but if the hakase has captured the essence of a katana in its design then then the ohashi do has captured it in the way that it cuts

Edited by Sblakers

Nikolaos, beautiful pens. Congratulations.

Stan, I love your site. Very informative with some lovely, lovely pens.

To add to Michael's picture above, i am adding a few pictures of my Ohasido pens. Excuse the quality and the occassional speck of dust on the pens.

1. Oversize black urushi pen with larger size pen. This is the same shape as the one I reviewed at the start of this thread only shorter and fatter.

2. Oversize black urushi pen in a flat top design with a nice tapering at the barrel. Really well balance posted or unposted. Also larger nib on this one

3. Raw ebonite i believe probably from the 70s. The cap is slip on not threaded. I haven't seen another one like it so it might be a custom request

4. Chased hard rubber with 18K gold band. The cap screws at the end of the barrel as you can see from the threading

5. This is the blue/black urushi I reviewed

6. This is a clipless pen similar in design to MIchael's but with different finish on it. Bronze, gold, and different brown lacquers are used in this very organic shape. It reminds me of a branch one might find while strolling in a forest in autumn, or something like that.

7. A torpedo shape, in a gold urushi with powders. The top of the cap and barrel end are finished in black urushi. This one has a larger nib as well

Enjoy, and if there's other Ohasido pens out there let us see them :)

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/nikolaos_photos/DSC_5801_zps6975253c.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/nikolaos_photos/DSC_5798_zps137c0fe9.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/nikolaos_photos/DSC_5797_zps4434af49.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/nikolaos_photos/DSC_5796_zps54283a70.jpg

Edited by Nikolaos

oh these are so cool. I wish they were easier to get my hands on! thank you for sharing!

Edited by daintydimsum

Nikolaos, what a beautiful group portrait of your Ohasidos! The bronze/gold one is out of the world. I don't think they made too many of these straight bodied clipless pens, as they are very seldome seen coming up for sale.

Here is another Ohasido I got two years ago with very subtle dark blue urushi and a wide 18k barrel band. This is the longest pen in the lineup at 156.5 cm and the heaviest (30 g). Large 21k nib. Speaking of nibs, I think all Ohasido pens come with single colour (gold) nibs in either large or small size.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/157capped1_zps3a1dfbbe.jpg

Photo courtesy of Eizo Fujii